Need some ideas on how to surprise kids with resort change

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by cmjohannes, Jun 12, 2013.

1. cmjohannes

cmjohannes Earning My Ears

Hi All,
    We are visiting the World Sept 14-20. Included are myself, DH, and 2 kids: DS is 12 and DD is 10. We had originally planned to stay at POFQ. When free dining came out, we changed our reservation to CSR business class (we stayed at CSR in 2010 and loved it). After more research, I changed the reservation again and now we are staying at the Wilderness Lodge (for the first time). We haven't told the kids - they still think we will be staying at CSR.

So.....I am looking for some suggestions as to how/when we should tell the kids we are staying at WL. They have seen pictures, and will be super excited about being there.
    We are driving down from MD the day before, staying one night offsite and arriving early at WL to pick up tickets and such. Do we wait until we get there? Or tell them the night before?
    We had told the kids that if they got really good grades, there might be a surprise waiting for them at WDW, so they are expecting something, but have no idea what. Any comments, advice, suggestions are appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. davedmaine

davedmaine DIS Veteran

I'd just tell them. Would they really get that excited about being in a different resort?

4. MinnieTink

MinnieTink DIS Veteran

I would just stay quiet and roll up there on the morning you arrive. WL is so impressive and beautiful driving and walking up to it (even moreso at night!) Enjoy your stay! WL is my favorite :)

5. GaBelle

GaBelle DIS Veteran

We are going to be at WL those exact dates!
    I also think you should keep quiet until you arrive at the Lodge. They're gonna love it!

6. Missytara

Missytara I'm all ears!

I would drive up, telling them you had planned a meal there. Pull up to the front door and say, get the bags, we are staying here.

There's nothing better than a grand surprise.

7. gingercake71

gingercake71 Earning My Ears

Wildnerness Lodge did have a program where a family is selected to raise the flag early in the morning. It would be neat to surprise them by pulling up and on top of that being able to be the key family. They also give you a certificate. You may call the lodge directly to see if this is still available!

8. dansdad

dansdad DIS Veteran

It is still available. However you cannot put your name on the list to be Flag Family until you check in. And as you can imagine there's a long list of names.

9. Missytara

Missytara I'm all ears!

Unfortunately, you cannot call any of the resorts directly.

The CM will answer the phone as if they are in the resort, but they are in a Central Call Center on property and in nightime hours, they are off-property.

It is all about the illusion that you are reaching someone at the actual resort. Disney prefers to have their CM's at the front desk deal with check-in and issues directly at the resort, and not multiple phone calls.

The CM would only transfer the call to the resort, if they deemed it necessary, as in case of an emergency. Most likely, their call regarding being the family of the day would be the CM telling them they could ask at check-in.

10. DisneyLover0610

DisneyLover0610 Mouseketeer

You should stay quiet until you drive up! I like the idea of telling them you are eating there, then telling them to grab the bags!! Nothing is better than a surprise!
    Have a great time!

11. roomthreeseventeen

roomthreeseventeen Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Obviously you know your kids best, but I would tell them ASAP. I have seen too many videos of people surprising their kids and the kids being upset because they had prepared themselves for a different trip or a different resort.