Need some ideas on how to surprise kids with resort change

cmjohannes

Earning My Ears
Hi All,
We are visiting the World Sept 14-20. Included are myself, DH, and 2 kids: DS is 12 and DD is 10. We had originally planned to stay at POFQ. When free dining came out, we changed our reservation to CSR business class (we stayed at CSR in 2010 and loved it). After more research, I changed the reservation again and now we are staying at the Wilderness Lodge (for the first time). We haven't told the kids - they still think we will be staying at CSR.

So.....I am looking for some suggestions as to how/when we should tell the kids we are staying at WL. They have seen pictures, and will be super excited about being there.
We are driving down from MD the day before, staying one night offsite and arriving early at WL to pick up tickets and such. Do we wait until we get there? Or tell them the night before?
We had told the kids that if they got really good grades, there might be a surprise waiting for them at WDW, so they are expecting something, but have no idea what. Any comments, advice, suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks!

Hi All,
We are visiting the World Sept 14-20. Included are myself, DH, and 2 kids: DS is 12 and DD is 10. We had originally planned to stay at POFQ. When free dining came out, we changed our reservation to CSR business class (we stayed at CSR in 2010 and loved it). After more research, I changed the reservation again and now we are staying at the Wilderness Lodge (for the first time). We haven't told the kids - they still think we will be staying at CSR.

So.....I am looking for some suggestions as to how/when we should tell the kids we are staying at WL. They have seen pictures, and will be super excited about being there.
We are driving down from MD the day before, staying one night offsite and arriving early at WL to pick up tickets and such. Do we wait until we get there? Or tell them the night before?
We had told the kids that if they got really good grades, there might be a surprise waiting for them at WDW, so they are expecting something, but have no idea what. Any comments, advice, suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks!

I'd just tell them. Would they really get that excited about being in a different resort?

I would just stay quiet and roll up there on the morning you arrive. WL is so impressive and beautiful driving and walking up to it (even moreso at night!) Enjoy your stay! WL is my favorite :)

cmjohannes said:
Hi All,

Thanks!

We are going to be at WL those exact dates!
I also think you should keep quiet until you arrive at the Lodge. They're gonna love it!

I would drive up, telling them you had planned a meal there. Pull up to the front door and say, get the bags, we are staying here.

There's nothing better than a grand surprise.

Wildnerness Lodge did have a program where a family is selected to raise the flag early in the morning. It would be neat to surprise them by pulling up and on top of that being able to be the key family. They also give you a certificate. You may call the lodge directly to see if this is still available!

gingercake71 said:
Wildnerness Lodge did have a program where a family is selected to raise the flag early in the morning. It would be neat to surprise them by pulling up and on top of that being able to be the key family. They also give you a certificate. You may call the lodge directly to see if this is still available!

It is still available. However you cannot put your name on the list to be Flag Family until you check in. And as you can imagine there's a long list of names.

Unfortunately, you cannot call any of the resorts directly.

The CM will answer the phone as if they are in the resort, but they are in a Central Call Center on property and in nightime hours, they are off-property.

It is all about the illusion that you are reaching someone at the actual resort. Disney prefers to have their CM's at the front desk deal with check-in and issues directly at the resort, and not multiple phone calls.

The CM would only transfer the call to the resort, if they deemed it necessary, as in case of an emergency. Most likely, their call regarding being the family of the day would be the CM telling them they could ask at check-in.

You should stay quiet until you drive up! I like the idea of telling them you are eating there, then telling them to grab the bags!! Nothing is better than a surprise!
Have a great time!

Obviously you know your kids best, but I would tell them ASAP. I have seen too many videos of people surprising their kids and the kids being upset because they had prepared themselves for a different trip or a different resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter