Need some help picking a lens. sigma/tamron 17-50

Discussion in 'Photography Board' started by NateNLogansDad, Aug 15, 2012.

1. NateNLogansDad

NateNLogansDad Still Wish'n

Just wanted to follow up, between these 2 pictures and the noise issue with the Tamron, I am now the proud owner of a new Sigma 17-50 2.8. Just wanted to say Thanks Everybody! :thanks:

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. handicap18

handicap18 <font color=blue>Husband, father of 3, and Disney

To late, but I would have voted for the Tamron (non-VC). Super sharp and excellent focus in low light. I used the Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 and was VERY disappointed. It had some back focus issues (which I was able to fix with my camera body) and it was awful when trying to focus in low light conditions.

I did a wedding 2 years ago at a restaurant that had high dark ceiling, dark walls and small lights. The atmosphere was great, but the Sigma was almost useless. I had so many problems getting it to focus. Luckily I also has the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8. I put that lens on and never had a focus issue the rest of the night. It focused fast and was tack sharp. It almost never left my camera until I bought the Nikon 24-70 f/2.8.

When I bought the Tamron I also looked at the Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 and the reviews for it weren't no way near as good as for the Tamron.

Good luck with yours. (BTW I do love my Sigma 10-20mm and 30mm f/1.4)

4. HPS3

HPS3 Disney Fanatic

Congrats on the Sigma! I hope you have a blast using it and I look forward to seeing some of your photos.

5. NateNLogansDad

Well..I'll let you know in a few days. I know I'll be able to play a bit during the day but night time gets tricky. I'm going to put it through its paces and make sure she's 100% before my 30 day return period expires.

6. NateNLogansDad

If history repeats itself, as it usually tends to do, I should be starting my 8,000 shot extravaganza in 28 more days when we head down to our Home Away From Home :dancer:

7. Hockeyman

Hockeyman It's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana J

I would have voted Tamron also. I picked up one up a few months back and love it. Havent tried out the Sigma so cant really compare the two.

8. Mexidoc

Mexidoc Earning My Ears

Just recently picked up the Tamron non vc. Did a lot of research and ended up very happy. Haven't been able to use at WDW but look forward to it. I can already see the parts of the park where wthis lens will be great. There was a reat article on Tom Bricker's Blog about this lens. I can't post the link but google disney tourist blog and its on the photography buying guide page. Lots of pics.Either way enjoy your trip and new lens.