Need peanut free lunch for a long field trip!

Spinning

<font color=deeppink>Give me a chunk of something
we are going to Harrisburg. Will be on a bus for about an hour or so. We are a peanut free classroom so that means peanut free bus...Not a big deal with snacks. But what do I pack for lunch that won't spoil? I always worry about mayo and heat!
The lunches will be kept under the bus while we are driving then put inside a musuem till lunch time. We are leaving at 6:30 am lunch around noon.
I plan to freeze juice boxes. Maybe water....that should keep it cold. We aren't suppose to bring lunch boxes.
Any ideas? Am I just being paranoid the mayo and meat will spoil?

Ian is starting camp/preschool next week and it's a peanut free school. I've been thinking a lot about what to send for his lunches. So far I've come up with cheese stick & crackers, pizza bagels, pizza snack bites, bagel w/cream, cheese quesadilla, grilled cheese sandwich. He's only 18 months old so there's a lot he still won't/can't eat by himself - I have to make sure it's finger food since he's not using utensils yet.

Something we were told is okay at his school for kids that like pbj is soy-butter. (I was told kids can't tell the difference.) I don't know if that's an option for you though.

We are peanut free (not the school, just my family). I just leave off the mayo. My kids like it plain - so it's just a sandwich roll, meat, and cheese. I just stick in a frozen water bottle next to the sandwich along with some chips and fruit next to that. It fits snuggly into the brown bag, and the kids complain their water bottles are still frozen at lunchtime.

My youngest, who is not allergic, likes soynut butter - but he rarely has peanut butter. I like it okay, but haven't had peanut butter in years. I've heard good things about a spread made from sunflower seeds, but haven't been able to find it yet.

When the kids had TKD camp in an un air-conditioned building I always gave them hoagies. Those meats don't seem to spoil as quickly as other - plenty of preservatives! :rolleyes: Then I put either oil or balsamic vinegar on them and pack the ice (frozen juice box & water bottle) around them. BTW - I put the frozen things in separate plastic bags so they don't sweat & make the paper bag tear.

Another idea would be to pack a can of Deviled Ham, a bag of saltines & a plastic knife for each of you. It's sealed until you're ready to eat & everything can be tossed. It does take longer to eat than a sandwich though because you have to spread it on the crackers...but DD & I both enjoy this.

I am paranoid like you about meat & mayo spoiling.

Whenever DS8 has a field trip, he takes a bagel with butter. It's not really healthy, but it does fill him up.

(I'd love to send him with peanut butter but he's never tried it & doesn't want to).

My Mom would make a grilled cheese sandwich and wrap it in tin foil. It wouldn't be hot anymore by lunch, but it was still good!

Also, if you really wanted mayo, get some of those individual serving packets and put them in your sandwich. I'm afraid I don't know where you can buy them, though...

I send beef jerky for my son. It doesn't spoil and he usually doesn't get it so it is a "treat".

I make up plain ham rolls and freeze them for school lunches and then make up a container of salad, cherry tomatoes, cucumber etc.., do you have a small cold bag, if you freeze the rolls and the drinks it should stay cool til lunch

Anyone try soynut butter?
My dd is peanut allergic so soynut butter and jelly sandwiches are a staple in our house.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!