Need opinions on Universal Studios

etwinchester

DIS Veteran
Hello, I was wondering if I could get some help. I am going to WDW in March of 2003 and we are purchasing a 5 day hopper pass. We are also considering buying a pass to Universal Studios.

* I was wondering what people thought of Universal Studios. Is it better/worse than MGM. MGM is included in the hopper so we will probably go there but didn't know if it was worth the extra money for Universal.

* Also, are the rides ok for 3-year-olds? My daugher loves roller coasters and is not afraid of anything at this point and she won't be 3 till January.

* Last question - Does anyone happen to have a park map of Universal Studios? Someone was kind enough to send me one awhile ago for MGM so know I'd like one for Universal to compare the two. Please email me if you happen to have an extra one that you wouldn't mind sending to me.

Thanks so much for any assistance.

:bounce:
We're looking forward to our first trip to Universal this December. I'll be happy to give you our impressions once we return. I'll also pick up a new map for you while we're there if you don't get one sooner. Barbara :Pinkbounc

There is not really a lot to do in Universal Studios. I think there is a lot to see though. In US they have Fievels playland (I think that is what it is called), and it is like everything was blown up, and you are mouse size. We went this past October with a 6. 8, and 9 year old and they loved this area. There is also a Barney show. In Islands Of Adventure there is Suess Landing, with a few cute rides...Carosuessel, The Cat In The Hat, One Fish TWo Fish, and they have a smaller rollercoaster for children. Have you checked out Universals website, they may have maps. I think you'll have fun if you choose to go.

Hi Tracey -

Let me see if I can help. Universal Studios Florida and Islands of Adventures are both top notch theme parks. I don't think they are better or worse than MGM. They are on par with certain things like shows but go above on thrill coaster rides. It depends what your individual tastes are.

Like Disney-MGM Studios, USF is movie themed and has many attractions based upon both classic and modern Universal movies. Of interest to your 3-year old would be the Woody Woodpecker kidzone with a mini-coaster, the Barney and Friends live stage show, the Animal Planet live stage show, and the Nickelodeon "behind the scenes" sound stage.

Islands of Adventure is another Universal Property, with different "Islands" or areas, based upon myth and fantasy. Again, for your 3-year old, there is Seuss Landing, with many rides based upon the books of Dr. Seuss (Cat in the Hat, One Fish..Two Fish, etc). There is also a Toon Lagoon based on comic strip characters with two very good (and very wet) water rides.

I don't have any maps to send you but you can preview what Universal has to offer by visiting their web site:

Universal Studios Orlando

You may also get additional first hand information by visiting the Universal Board.

HTH, Steve

HIya! Visited Universal Studios without our kids. Visited MGM with 3 year and 4 year old girls.

MGM has a lot more for a 3 year girl than Universal. In my opinion of course!!

To be honest... we were glad we didn't bring the kids to Universal.. My girls are not fans of spiderman. They are also sheepish on a lot of the rides. They also would not have been into meeting characters (cat & hat, Spider man, villians etc). We would have been done quickly at Universal, as there wasn't a lot for them to do.

At MGM (with girls) they loved Playhouse Disney/Bear show! It is really cute! They also loved eating at Hollywood & Vine and seeing Minnie. They were also able to meet the Disney Characters at MGM - and this went nicely with our other visit to Magic Kingdom. We went for one morning (leaving park around 1:00 for nap.

Personally, I think there is a lot more for a 3 year old to do at MGM than Universal - but that's just for our family. Yours may be different.

Here is what a 3yr old can do at each park.
At 3 and at 4 my DD enjoyed US more
Woody woodpecker's roller coaster/kidzone
the barny show
the barney play area
Nick tour
Animal planet show
Back to the furture (if 40 inches, DD was tall enough was short for her age)
Earthquake
ET
Fivel's Playland
Jimmy Nuetron if opened by then
Jaws
Twister
Shrek if open by your trip.

What a 3 yr old can do at MGM

Yoyage of the little mermaid
Star tours
ToT (if 40 inches)
Muppetvision
Backlot tour
Magic of animation tour
Indian Jones stunt Spectacular
Huchback show (isn't it closing)
Honey I shrunk the kids Adventure Zone
Great movie ride
Fantasmic
Beauty and the Beast Show
Playhouse Disney show'

Thanks for the responses. My daughter is 36 inches tall at the moment. She will be turning 3 in January and our trip is for March.

I hope they will let her on the rides with us. At the moment, she is not afraid of anything...

I hope they will let her on the rides with us. At the moment, she is not afraid of anything...

She will be allowed to ride everything as long as she meets the min height requirement

Do you happen to know what most of the height requirements are? Are they normally 36 inches or 40 inches?

"able to walk [independently], able to ride" is the general requirement for those that dont have specific heights...

Originally posted by etwinchester
Do you happen to know what most of the height requirements are? Are they normally 36 inches or 40 inches?
It varies depending on the ride.
I noted above the rides that could be possible depending on height.
MIB at US is 44 (or 46?) I know DD at 5 is still too short
RnR at MGM is 48

At Mk there is
Space mountain 44 in
Splash mountain 40 in
Big Thunder mountain Railroad 40 in
Alien Encounter 44 in ( and suggested age of 7, it is very intense)

Epcot

Test Track 40 in

Animal kingdom

Dinosaur ... the book I have says 46 but DD rode it at 41. It was lowered at some point I think to 40 in

Kali river rapids.... 36? with the new safty bars. There are only one or 2 bars per raft and are for riders that are under a certain height (44 inches I think).

I might be missing a few things but these are what I can remeber and can find in the book I have

Originally posted by etwinchester
It varies depending on the ride.
I noted above the rides that could be possible depending on height.
MIB at US is 44 (or 46?) I know DD at 5 is still too short
RnR at MGM is 48

At Mk there is
Space mountain 44 in
Splash mountain 40 in
Big Thunder mountain Railroad 40 in
Alien Encounter 44 in ( and suggested age of 7, it is very intense)

Epcot

Test Track 40 in

Animal kingdom

Dinosaur ... the book I have says 46 but DD rode it at 41. It was lowered at some point I think to 40 in

Kali river rapids.... 36? with the new safty bars. There are only one or 2 bars per raft and are for riders that are under a certain height (44 inches I think).

I might be missing a few things but these are what I can remember and can find in the book I have

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter