Need new digital camera before trip!

Discussion in 'Photography Board' started by aprilfoolwed, Apr 20, 2011.

1. aprilfoolwed

aprilfoolwed DIS Veteran

*I posted this on the budget board, and they suggested to post on photography board. I accidentally posted on the resort photos board - I think I should have posted here!*

We've always vacationed with my parents, and my dad has a great SLR camera and was the designated photographer. This year, we are going by ourselves, and we really need a better camera to take with us.

Neither DH nor I are great photographers, so we're really looking for a simple point & shoot camera. My biggest gripe with our 2-year-old Nikon Coolpix is how much lag there is between shots. I feel like we'd be booted from Disney if we held up the line for pics with Mickey!

So, looking in the $200-range - possibly up to $300 if needed for a good camera - but less would be even better. Want something that will take a good shot, has a decent optical zoom (10x or better) and recovers quickly between photos.

The guy at the camera shop suggested the Casio Ex fh100 or the Fuji F300EXR. They seemed like decent choices, but I want to go and play with it a little more.

Any other suggestions?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. D2stobb

D2stobb Earning My Ears

I would ask to try either camera( if at a camera store they should allow)
    I went with a new nikon 8100, after buying and being totally unhappy with picture quality on Fuji.
    My old nikon cool pix although slow still took/takes great pictures.
    I gave it to ds8, and now we have more fun photos( just a little different perspective)
    HTH,
    Have a great trip
    :wizard:
    Deedee

4. aprilfoolwed

aprilfoolwed DIS Veteran

Thanks - we are going to try both camera, and maybe ask to see a few others. I have never been crazy about our Nikon - either the speed or the quality, but then, my FIL picked it out for us and I never had a say in it. I am sure there are different models.

I am considering seeing what Costco has (although we don't have one - but my inlaws do) so that we can return if we don't like it.

5. WilsonFlyer

WilsonFlyer <a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ

6. aprilfoolwed

aprilfoolwed DIS Veteran

7. manning

manning <font color=blue>Just for that I have requested it