Need new cell phone (Sprint)- which one?

frannn

<font color=blue>please stop the madnesssss alread
I've been holding on to my old LG Optimus smartphone for a bunch of years, but now it is having trouble with texts, voicemail, and going on the internet (memory issues). We have Sprint and I am due for an upgrade plus well past my contract. I would love to get something for minimal cost that I can use to do all the basics plus stream and have some basic apps and games, and surf a little. I really want to be able to use it as a wifi hotspot without additional cost, as I have an ipad and a Nook. I don't think Sprint allows this, though. We get about 17% our family plan from DH's job, so we'll stick with them. He is due for a new phone as well, so we may both get one. We're partial to android but may be swayed to iphone (32gb or higher). Suggestions that won't break the bank?

I recently received an email offer that lets me "lease" a new samsung phone. Not sure if that's an option you'd consider. I think it comes out to $5 per month because there's a loyal customer discount. If I did that, I'd definitely add the insurance, just in case.

The last 2 phones, I've just bought it off ebay used. Sprint has been giving me the phone credit on my statement rather than towards the purchase of a new phone.

I We get about 17% our family plan from DH's job, so we'll stick with them.

You should do the math and not just assume that a 17% discount gives you the best price. Pre-paid plan prices are crazy low these days. Once you add in taxes, you basically are losing that 17% discount.

Do you have to have the hot spot? That is difficult without rooting the phone. Anyway. Dump Sprint and go Boost Mobile (they use the sprint network and are owned by sprint). I pay $45 a month for unlimited everything. They give you 5gig of LTE then it drops down to unlimited 2g/3g. The only catch you have to pay more for the phones and they have the absolute worst customer service. But if you never call CS and don't mind paying more for the phone it is a good deal in the long run. Either way, i think you still have to root the phone to use the hot spot for free. Something to consider.

This is the second time I've read about Sprint not allowing a Hot Spot this week. Is it that all plans using Hot Spot are extra or just the specific plan you have that doesn't allow use of a Hot Spot? (I tried looking at their plans but they don't really give much in the way of fine print)

If it's the latter, I agree with the previous poster about evaluating what you're getting with the discount versus what you could be getting in terms of other plans/services. We were hanging onto DH's unlimited data for dear life but because he had it none of us could use Hot Spot. I sat down, really went through the numbers and decided we'd be okay without it. Off contract our bill was way less than it had been, with the Next plan (AT&T) it's five dollars more than we'd been paying with the old plan. We've never gone over and that Hot Spot has come in handy more than a few times.

In terms of phones I don't know anything about Androids but could talk your ear off about iPhones. There are resellers like Gazelle where you can buy used phones or private parties. To get a new phone off contract(or on contract or lease plan) you're going to pretty much pony up for full price. We went with AT&T's Next plan and I am systematically paying each one off early as I go. This lowers my bill and gives me the upper hand because I own (and will own shortly) the phones and can do what I want in terms of staying or going with my carrier.

Noting much to say.....just following to see what's what. I used to have the LG Optimus and really liked it, but was gifted a new phone by my kids about 2.5 years ago, and it is still working fine, just that it's not a Samsung Galaxy and I'd like one...

Anyway. Dump Sprint and go Boost Mobile (they use the sprint network and are owned by sprint). I pay $45 a month for unlimited everything. They give you 5gig of LTE then it drops down to unlimited 2g/3g. The only catch you have to pay more for the phones and they have the absolute worst customer service. But if you never call CS and don't mind paying more for the phone it is a good deal in the long run. Either way, i think you still have to root the phone to use the hot spot for free. Something to consider.

Agreed. I had Sprint for years and changed to Virgin Mobile (also owned by Sprint) to save money. They have no contract monthly plans that you can set up on autopay, cheaper than Sprint plan prices, and you're able to cancel or get a new phone at any time. As Rock Doctor said, the phones are pricier to buy. But, from the sound of it, you don't change phones too often, so it might be something to consider!

So I think we have a probable decision. After going to Best Buy and calling Sprint, I found that we can upgrade to the Samsung Galaxy S5 for $99 each if we resign a 2 year contract. We don't have a major problem with the contract since we have been with Sprint for about 15 years. Supposedly I can put the Netflix app on my phone, so I'm hoping that's correct. It stinks that I will lose the hotspot, but I guess I have to make the choice between that and actually having a fully operable phone. I asked the Sprint people about switching to another carrier (since we are out of contract), but they said it would end up being more expensive. I also heard that Sprint doesn't throttle with data but other carriers do. We are paying about 150 (will be about 160/month after upgrade to 4G) including taxes for unlimited service for our two lines, no hotspot. I checked Virgin Mobile and the Galaxy S5 is $500, plus data speed decreases if you stream. Am I missing anything?

So I think we have a probable decision. After going to Best Buy and calling Sprint, I found that we can upgrade to the Samsung Galaxy S5 for $99 each if we resign a 2 year contract. We don't have a major problem with the contract since we have been with Sprint for about 15 years. Supposedly I can put the Netflix app on my phone, so I'm hoping that's correct. It stinks that I will lose the hotspot, but I guess I have to make the choice between that and actually having a fully operable phone. I asked the Sprint people about switching to another carrier (since we are out of contract), but they said it would end up being more expensive. I also heard that Sprint doesn't throttle with data but other carriers do. We are paying about 150 (will be about 160/month after upgrade to 4G) including taxes for unlimited service for our two lines, no hotspot. I checked Virgin Mobile and the Galaxy S5 is $500, plus data speed decreases if you stream. Am I missing anything?

What is your total monthly bill going to be with the Sprint plan? Virgin mobile is about $33 per month with unlimited texting and data. Just do the math and figure out your total cost over the two year period and go with the cheapest one. I thought the no contract plans are almost always cheaper.

A quick update- DH and I got Galaxy s5's from Best Buy last Sunday. We paid $99 each because we renewed our 2yr contract. I was able to put both my Netflix and Slingbox app on it (just have to figure out how to clear the cache/history so it doesn't get laggy). Last night I went onto the Best Buy website and noticed the price went down to $1 with contract renewal. I called for a price match and this morning was emailed that we were credited for the difference. $200 saved! Very happy!

Hubby has yet to upgrade his LG as well, he really liked it... I, however, had to upgrade due to *broken* phone issues. (I'm very hard on my phones). I really like my Samsung Galaxy S5, it takes great pictures. In fact, I didn't even have to use my camera while at WDW last month and had no problems with the battery life and such. We run lookout on our phones to avoid any virus issues and whatnot. It really helps! Have you tried a program such as that ? I would never EVER switch to an iphone. I prefer the androids as well :) DH is even impressed with the S5, but he has yet to upgrade.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter