Need help understanding Pirate Night

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by GoofyforDisney3, Oct 13, 2013.

1. GoofyforDisney3

GoofyforDisney3 DIS Veteran

I kind of understand it, but I'm getting a little confused reading different threads. :joker: This is my first cruise and while I know a ton about WDW, I'm pretty limited on the whole cruise thing. We are cruising on the Magic for a 4 night cruise beginning April 21.

I think I've figured out a lot of stuff, but pirate night is confusing to me. I understand people dress up, there is some kind of party and fireworks. But, what is it about the dining menu? I'm also reading something about a buffet? Is this for dinner or is it after?

Thanks!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. YoungGangMom

YoungGangMom Mouseketeer

The Pirate menu is severed on Pirate night in the location of the dining room which you are scheduled to eat on rotation. This is a special menu only offered that night and unfortunately to us was not good. Lack luster compared to the other menus and simple. Frankly we didn't like the way most of it tasted other than the pot stickers.

After the fireworks there is a buffet that follows at Cabanas, when we stayed last week it started at about 10:45pm. It mainly consisted of desserts, turkey legs, loaded baked potatoes, and taco bars.

4. Carrie in AZ

Carrie in AZ DIS Veteran

After dinner, everyone gathers on the pool deck for the party, there is music and dancing and characters, followed by fireworks. After all of that, there is the buffet.

5. PrincessShmoo

PrincessShmoo DIS Veteran

This varies a little from the classics to the newer ships.

On the classics, the pirate party/show is after the late dinner seating followed by the fireworks and the buffet.

On the newer ships, there is a family-friendly (Disney characters) pirate show between the two dinner seatings, and a more adult oriented (Jack Sparrow type pirates) show after the late dinner seating, followed by the fireworks and then the buffet.

6. EastYorkDisneyFan

EastYorkDisneyFan DIS Veteran

Also the special menu is only used on cruises 4 nights and longer. If you are on a 3 night cruise you will not have the pirate night menu

7. RMoneyTheHBomb

RMoneyTheHBomb Mouseketeer

How do the pirate festivities work with the regular evening show? Do they clash and we will have to choose?

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

8. jdb in AZ

jdb in AZ <font color=green>It could end up curdled<br><font

The pirate party IS the evening show.

9. RMoneyTheHBomb

RMoneyTheHBomb Mouseketeer

Even on a 3 night cruise? If that is the case which of the big shows end is not shown? Golden Mikey's, villains, or dreams?

10. lbgraves

lbgraves Little Cinderella's Mommy

Actually the pirate party starts after the show in the theater. On a 3-night it is the regular production show, but on longer cruises it is usually a first-run movie. That is going on during late dinner seating, so they have to schedule it between meals/shows to allow guests to attend.

11. Meghatron

Meghatron DIS Veteran

No, it's not. It's a deck party that is in addition to the evening show.

Sent from my Tricorder using DISBoards

12. jdb in AZ

jdb in AZ <font color=green>It could end up curdled<br><font

Thanks for the clarification. We haven't done a 3-nighter, so we're accustomed to DCL just showing a movie in the theatre instead of a big production show on Pirate Night.

13. OKW Lover

OKW Lover Retired and living 2 miles from The Castle. DIS Lifetime Sponsor

Yup - you pretty much have it. People make a lot out of pirate night but that's really what its all about. Many of us don't care for the pirate night menu in the MDR (just not inspiring/as good as the regular menus). That's why you see comments about the menu.