Need help on choosing wireless router for DH for Christmas

floridafam

DIS Veteran
I can't ask him because I don't want him to know.

We have 1 windows PC and he has a Mac.

We will be getting another Mac in January.

Should I just buy a wireless router or can I buy the Airport thingie from Apple? Will that take care of everything?

Thanks in advance :flower1:

nevermind! I posted about a network card, not the router, but I believe our router is a Linksys Wireless-G.

I went to Amazon.com and he has a Linksys wireless router in his cart. I know he won't buy it-it will just sit in his cart for weeks.

Should I buy that one?
:cool1:

Uh huh, but make sure you save the receipt just in case he *does* break down and buy it ;)

We've got the linksys, too, and LOVE it!

I thought you were talking about a carpentry tool. I thought I would get one for DH for Christmas because that's one of the tools I don't think he has. Shows how much I know about computers.

Denae :flower1:

You can go with Apple, that will definitely be the easiest to implement, though it's costlier. I'm assuming you have either DSL or a Cable modem, so I suggest the following as a less expensive alternative: Belkin 802.11g Router . This is the one that I bought for my parents who have two iMacs and an iBook and it worked great. I had gotten them a Linksys, however Linksys doesn't play so well with Macs, especially if you have high speed AOL. You should be able to get that one for between $60-80 depending where you get it.

And as someone else suggested, keep the receipt, just in case he buys one, or he decides it's not the one he wants.

The Airport does also have a neat feature where you can get an additional device called the Airport express, which plugs into your stereo system wirelessly and you can play music from any Mac on your network through that stereo. Ah, toys...

Any other questions, feel free to PM me.

Thanks for the info.

Crcormier,

Yes, we have a cable modem. The Apple product costlier but not too much. Maybe I will just do that.

Thanks again :flower1:

Another vote for Linksys. I've had very good luck with them setting them up in several locations.

We have had Linksys for a year now and it works great!We have cable modem (RoadRunner) as our ISP.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter