Need help on choosing a value resort

msminniemouse

DIS Veteran
I am thinking of booking a value resort for the end of August, but I'm confused about which one to pick. What is the difference between the 3 different All Stars Resorts and Pop Century resorts, or are they all similar and it doesn't matter which one I pick? Does one have a better pool or location than the other? I have never stayed at a value resort, but am going on a cruise in Nov. and was looking to save some money when we go on trip in Aug. Will we be disappointed in value resort after having stayed at moderate or deluxe resorts, and are the rooms really alot smaller.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

May I ask how big your family is and who will be traveling? This could help me gear my answer. :goodvibes

Okay. Some may disagree but I think most value resorts are in essence, similar. Now, I do happen to prefer Pop, and let me tell you why.

Pop does not share busses with any other resort. It can make for some longer lines, but they're usually very efficient at clearing people out.

I love Pop's food court. If you get a refillable mug, I highly recommend you take advantage of the great slushy machine that makes slushy cokes/slushy blue raspberry drinks. :thumbsup2 Not that you couldn't purchase them individually, but the refillable mug is such a great value! Plus, the variety of food available is really excellent.

The pools are a lot of fun, the arcade is great, and Everything Pop Shopping is an excellent store to do some souvie damage.

I have stayed in all the values, Pop most recently, the others when I was younger. That being said, none really sticks out for me like Pop does.

Now some people will swear by their favorite All Star, and if your boys are more into Sports, or Movies, or Music, maybe that's the way to go.

I think they're all a great value, and that's just my humble opinoin. Hope it helps!

POP............the pools, the food court, the fun! Though I have never been to any other value resorts.

I think your kids would love Movies. The themes and pools are great for that age.

-Pat

Been to MOvies, Pop and Music. We loved Music because of the "Dive In" Movies at night. Loved Movies because it was our first Disney hotel. Loved Pop because of the Coke Slushies!:goodvibes

this year we are trying POFQ... In other words, they are all great, can't go wrong! :rotfl: Enjoy, whatever you choose!:banana: :banana: :banana:

The All Star resorts are all lined up in the same area, one next to another. I believe they are closest to Animal Kingdom, but close in Disney is a relative term. Pop is off a bit in another location. I know I have passed it, but can't remember what it is near. The time to the parks would probably be pretty equal, as I don't think Pop is that far away from the All Stars.

Amy

Do you happen to know the locations of which park each resort is closest to?
Thanks.

I have stayed at all levels of Disney Resorts. My favorite Disney owned resort is All Star Music.

Here are a few reasons :

1. I can book a preferred room location..( The Calypso buildings are preferred and they are the closest to the main pool ,food court and bus stop. They cost an $10 extra a night and in my opinion they are well worth it.)
The way All Star Music is laid out it "seems" smaller than most of the other Disney resorts. If I stay in a preferred building I only see the Calypso and Jazz builings on the way to and from the main pool and the bus stop and food court. Since I stay in preferred room I know I am going to be close to the food court, bus stop, & main pool.

2. I enjoy the theming at the All Stars. All Star Music is also is the quietest of the values.

3. The bus service at the All Star Music is very good. Since I use an EVC good bus transportation is essential.

4. The entry at the values and Mods are much more Handicap friendly.
I am able to get in and out of my All Star room unassisted. This way my husband can go and play a round of golf and know I can leave my room to relax by the pool if I choose.
--------------------------------------------------

All Star Music is my favorite resort. It tends to be the quietest of all the values.

All Star Music just underwent a refurbishment of all of the rooms and was completed in June 2007.

Here is a website with photos of the newly refurbished rooms at All Star Music.

Look at the Jazz Inn section with new posted:

http://allearsnet.com/acc/g_asmu.htm

---------------------------------------------------------

DH and I enjoy the landscaping and peacefulness of All Star Music.
We enjoy relaxing by the pool (there are plenty of chairs and lounges), and the beautiful lighting at the resort by night.

------------------------------------

I love The All Star Resorts.

I am 56 years old and travel several times a yearfor pleasure. I often stay at 3and 4 star and sometimes a 5 star hotels and motels.
So the deluxe and mod resorts are just another hotel/motel to me.
Staying at an All Star is like being in the heart of the Magic and that is where I want to be.

All Star Music is my favorite. It is quieter because more couples stay there. I love staying at the Calypso building. It is closer to the pool, food court and bus stop.

Here is a site with a map of All Star Sports and All Star Music.
http://www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps/allstarmap.htm
Scroll down. All Star Music is at the bottom of the page.
The Calypso buildings at All Star Music are #1 and #10 are nearest to the food court and bus stop.

The Calypso pool at ASMu has Donald Duck.

The buses are wonderful.

Bus rides are quite short from the ALL Stars according to PassPorter.com

All Star Buses-CBR buses---POPbuses--PO buses--- Contemporary
MK 20 min---- 20 min-----25 min------10 min---20 min(mono)
Epcot 10 min-- 15 min-----20 min------10 min---15 min
MGM 10 min----12 min-----15 min------15 min---20min
AK 10 min------20min-------15 min----15 min---20 min
DTD 15 min----20 min------20 min-----15 min---35 min

It only takes 10 minutes to get to Epcot, MGM and AK from All Stars.
MK is listed as 20 min away. That's the same amount of time it takes on the monorail from the Contemporary.

*Please Note:
In my experience the bus rides are usually 3-6 minutes shorter than the listed times. Perhaps the authors posted the ride times during heavy traffic so the actual times would be less in most cases.

A WORD ABOUT BUS SHARING

To me Bus Sharing at the All Stars is really a non issue.

In the mornings during Park opening hours each All Star usually has a dedicated bus.
During mid day it is usually just our stop and maybe one more on the way to the parks. On the way back sometimes it is all 3 but often Sports and Movies share and Music has it's own bus back. Each of the All Stars usually has it's own dedicated bus back from the MK.
That is a big plus. It seems like the Music bus stop usually has the shortest of the three All Star bus lines.

I guess some people who stay at POP see all 3 All Star names on the return sign of our bus stop when they head to the POP bus stop and think All Stars also has 3 stops on the way to the park.
(Even when we stop at another AS resort to load up it has not taken more than 5 minutes and we are on our way!)

The pools at The All Stars are very kid friendly.

When staying at the All Stars you can use any of the All Star pools.That means 3 main pools ,3 quiet pools and 3 kiddie pools to chose from.

The All Star Movie Fantasia pool has Mickey.

The Calypso pool at ASMU has Donald Duck.

And the Surfs up pool at All Star Sports has giant surf boards.

Here are a few pool photos.

astar3.jpg

All Star Sports pool.

allstar-music2_lg.jpg

All Star Music Donald pool.

asmv20.jpg

All Star Movies Mickey Pool.

I have visited WDW more than a dozen times with the 1st time in Oct. 1971. It was brand new. I've stayed at FW, Disney Inn, a few the of Hotels on hotel Blvd., CBR and the towers at the Contemporary. I got to see the MK from my balcony at the Contemporary and I'm happy I got to experience it once. I just prefer the All Star Resorts.
The theming is pure Disney.

My last 6 visits have been at The All Stars and during the fall of 2005 when we took dd,dsil, and our grandson age 3(at the time) for 8 nights we stayed at the All Stars Music. I thought about AKL and even though we can well afford AKL I just wanted Alex to experience the Disney Magic :wizard: at the All Stars on his first visit.
Where else can one find Donald Duck or Mickey Mouse at the pool?

Have fun at Disney!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter