Need help deciding what to do in Costa Maya!

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by perdy1234, Oct 5, 2012.

1. riofriotex

riofriotex Earning My Ears

We (2 adults) currently have this same excursion booked for January 9. There will be one other ship in port besides the Magic, but they arrive earlier, so I am hoping by the time we get in at 11:30, most of them will be gone from the ruins. I'm curious - how many people were on your excursion? Did you go on a big bus or in a smaller vehicle? I'm not too crazy about buses and big groups, and am also considering booking this with Native Choice (and saving some bucks!).

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. dolphingirl47

dolphingirl47 In Search of the Tag Fairy

We did this excursion on the November 10th sailing and loved it. It was a big bus, but it did not feel like a big group and we had two tour guides at the ruins. I would not hesitate to do this again.

Corinna

4. ps17

ps17 DIS Veteran

We just got off the Fantasy on Sat and have some tips:

We were deciding between staying onboard or going to a beach. We ended up going into town but here is the drag: First of all, we had to wait for cab which is essentially a $2PP shuttle. YOu don't just walk out and hail a cab. The aggravating part was having to wait for the shuttle to arrive and also once it got there for it to load etc. In our opinion, vacation time is money and waiting is a pain.

If you are going to go to a beach, go to one of those all-inclusive type places. Town beach wasn't all that great (we are snobs for clean uncrowded beaches). We had to wait to get menus, order. The beach was crowded. NOt a lot of clean facilities and bathrooms etc. to use. The beach area was just not as inviting.

If you want to do an all-inclusive beach, do that in Cozumel where there are nice places such as Nachi or Mr. Sanchos. In retrospect, we wish we would have stayed onboard.

Of course, this is just opinion and you will find those that probably enjoyed their shore time more. The other part is that with the abridged port times, it also makes it difficult.

5. kdeans1010

kdeans1010 DIS Veteran

I wasn't planning to get off and my dad wanted to go. Somehow we ended up at this place called "...de Sol." Don't remember what it was called. But they set us up for a beach day, drinks, really great day. I think for my dad and I it was something like $50 for taxi, drinks, Dad went snorkeling, and a great day at the beach. The pictures from that day really looked "perfect vacation" esque. I did like the little mall though.

6. WDWChloe

WDWChloe WDW Annual Passholder

How did you find out that there will be another ship in port? Very helpful in planning!! :)

7. DarthTod

DarthTod Mouseketeer

8. riofriotex

Native Choice also had a calendar on its web site. After reading tons of reviews and e-mailing Ivan, I decided to go with them. Their vans take 12 passengers max and they said they would put us in an adult-only group.

9. AladdinsPrincess

AladdinsPrincess DIS Veteran

Stay on the ship!

10. riofriotex

Did you have a bad experience with Native Choice?

11. gometros

gometros <font color=teal>WDWWDS Chief Weapons Inspector an

I'm willing to bet he was just making an editorial comment on Costa Maya, not anything against Native Choice.

12. TIGGER/POOH4

TIGGER/POOH4 DIS Veteran

In the port area you can sign up for a dolphin swim. The nice thing is you can sit close by and take your own photos.

[​IMG]

13. SucalT

SucalT Mouseketeer

Maya Chan in Costa Maya is actually one of my FAVORITE places to be!

To each their own.

14. JessicasMom

JessicasMom Working to Travel

We just did a ruins tour with the village lunch option through Native Choice (on 12/21/12!). Check-in felt a bit disorganized but staff were pleasant. I thought I had booked a private tour for the five of us; however, it turned out to be part of a group of 15. After that initial disappointment, the tour was absolutely wonderful. The only problem was that this particular van was physically difficult for most of the group to get into....high threshold and nothing to grab onto (most such vehicles have handles of some type to pull yourself up on); a step-stool would have been most appreciated. Our guide, Joel, was friendly and gave us tons of information. I cannot recommend the home visit highly enough...it made the difference between a good day and a great day.

We returned to the port area at 3:30pm, with an all-aboard time of 5. My daughter shopped for and purchased jewelry at TI, but the process took at least an hour (still not sure why?). She (and we, because we weren't getting on the ship without her!) boarded at 5:02, which was stressful, to say the least! We went ahead and took the tram to the ship, then waited outside the gangway until she arrived (running ;)). There were still five people who boarded after us! Maxine, the Wonder's shopping diva, kept an eye on things and made sure all was well, and the ship wasn't leaving without everyone on board. The officers, of course, knew who hadn't checked in and were watching the l-o-n-g pier, doing a head count as departure time arrived. While it was stressful (I know, I already said that, but it WAS), it was also very interesting. DD's comment was "I never thought I'd be one of THOSE people" (the last minute boarders :lmao:)
    If we're in CM again, I'll plan a beach visit, or just spend time in the port area. There really isn't much else to do here.

15. canadiandisneycruise

canadiandisneycruise Mouseketeer

We did this too! We had a lovely warm afternoon. Not windy, and calm shallow water! We just ordered cheap beer, my daughter and aunt had a great 1/2 hour massage for $15, and the girls got henna "tattoos". Vendors do stop, but they are not pushy! I did buy three silver bangles that I love! Got home and saw a beaded bracelet my daughter bought at our dollar store! It was by far the most inexpensive and relaxing excursion of the trip!