Need Budget Halloween costume using a box*update*

LisaNJ25

DIS Veteran<br><font color=aqua>I paid $300 back i
Ok gang.. I need some ideas.. I have to do my 14yo's costume today. I usually doing homemade ones. This is his last year to participate in the town costume contest.

I have a rectagular box and it fits him snug from under his arms to his ankles.

Any ideas what to make.

I was thinking tootsie roll, Ipod Shuffle, Life Saver...

My other 3 kids are going to be a Wallet (thanks to a dis member for that idea) an Mr and Mrs Potato Head.

Ok, this is what he ended up beibg:

IMG_4607.jpg

I love homemade costumes. DD won second place last night dressed as an old lady.

Second place in another age group went to an Ipod so I like that idea. If you could square off the box, a Rubik's cube is an idea.

keagansmom said:
How about Sponge Bob? Just a thought.

I was at a party a few days ago and saw a Spongebob - it was cute - the kid had yellow tights and then baggy brown shorts and a yellow knit cap on their head. The box was the spongebob - cute idea.

How about a Coke machine?
My mom once had my sister and I dress as a pair of dice...but you'd need another box and a friend. It was very cute and very easy.

A box of popcorn..red and white painted stripes and yellow ballons out of the top? popcorn::
A T.v. or a remote.
Put the box up so his head is in the middle and cut out a window and make a Kissing Booth :love:

A bottle of ketchup, with his head the neck of the bottle painted with a red face. I like the other idea also. Kissing booth classic.

rt2dz said:
How about getting some wrapping paper and going as a present?
My DD did this twice! Here is the picture of her! Sorry if it is big, I haven't figured out how to make em smaller! I can't locate the picture of when she first was a Gift. She was 2 then. This one she is 3 and it is not as good as the first time. The box should've been smaller, but you get the drift!
ROOGift.jpg

You ladies are great. I love all the ideas... I am also writting them down to use for my little ones in the future.

Right now I am thinking about a coke machine or I found an xray machine.

hopefully I can get this posted, I'm not good with importing photos.

DD was a rubic's cube last year. This was an EASY costume to make, the black lines were electical tape. The other colors were colored duct tape, alhtough acrylic paint would have worked fine. She had a great time making this, and needed NO help.

ec4cf56d.jpg

The adults that she came acrossed (i.e. parents out with their ghosts and goblins as well as those handing out the candy) really loved this one. It brought back a lot of reminiscing. (OH I bet I spelled that wrong.)

I hope the OP will post the picture of the wallet!!!

made him a box of fundraiser candy-----and stuff him with candy he can give out too-------just have the flaps in the center........

You could put the name of a cereal on the box and put a couple of toy knives through it and have them go as a cereal killer.

When I was a kid I made robot costumes from cardboard boxes - one large box for the body, a smaller box for the head secured to the top with duct tape (only tape inside because duct tape doesn't take paint). It's better if you can get an odd-shaped box for the head, like maybe something round - clear plastic pretzel barrels might do, if you can find one big enough.

Cutting holes in the boxes for arms and faceplace is easy enough with garden shears or utility knives. Some smaller holes in the head can be cut on the sides and back of the head and covered with speaker cloth; these look like "ears" and provide both sound input and air circulation.

For arms, I always used a length of flexible dryer vent tubing. It gave me a Robbie-the-Robot look and was simple to cut to length and secure to the box with zip ties and duct tape (tape the inside well to smooth out the rough edges or it will be uncomfortable for the kid). In my day, dryer tubes only came in white plastic, but now they also come in silver foil, which would look much better on a robot costume. A pair of gloves of some type finishes the effect.

I usually layered the boxes with paper mache for added stiffness, but this is optional. The paper mache does take paint a little better than bare cardboard, though.

I usually painted the costumes with interor white latex, then added detailing with colored model paints. Hint: outline the details lightly in pencil first, then paint by hand. Use pics of R2 units from the Star Wars movies for detail ideas. Also use reflective tape and decals for better visibility when trick-or-treating. Colored electrical tapes also work well, and for some details I used duct tape.

An easy additional detail was adding a flashlight to the costume. You can find cheap lights in WalMart or even Dollar Tree that you can tape into place in a pre-cut hole in the box, allowing the kid inside to turn it on and off. Also look for battery-powered Christmas lights to give a few added detail lights to the costume.

One year I also added a fold-out tray to the front of my costume. Just cut a rectagle out of the front, but leave the bottom edge attached. Add side and rear walls to it, and it will pivot our like a mailbox slot. Makes a great place to put candy, but tell the kid to be careful when running, the candy bounces out.
robot-1.jpg

Unfortunately, I don't have any pics of these costumes to illustrate. I think my parents might have some but I don't have them myself.

Dont know if I am to late for this or not, But I am willing to give my suggestions.
One year I won first place as a shower, My mom used a box and placed a vinal shower curtain around it and then from my head, she had a shower nozzle sticking out, please dont ask, I dont know how she made it. Then on the box, she had hot/cold spickets sticking out.

Next year, 1st place again, I was a table with place settings. She took a box, placed plastic table cloth on it, glued plastic plates,.silverware, and napkins around it as well and on my head I had a hat with flowers on it for the centerpiece.

Good luck in your decission... We always had so much fun with the homemade costumes and now as a home owner, I enjoy seeing the homemade ones as well........ BUt as a mother,,, It is so much easier for me to buy! :rotfl2:
Now this year and believe me I did not help in any way, but to give the other mother money to help pay for the costume,,, but my daughter and her friend are going as a Tube of Toothpaste and a Toothbrush!
She made the costumes all out of felt and they look adorable!

I went as a TV one year, complete with antennae on my head! That's an easy to make costume using a box!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter