• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Need Advice (re: AKL pool closing!)

pianoronni37

Time has a way of changing things...
Originally, DH and I were going to stay at WL from Jan 22-Jan 29. Then we couldn't get a Standard View room for the 4/3 deal, so we switched to a Pool View at AKL. I was psyched!

Now, we find out that the pool will be closed. That was our main reason for the switch - the awesome pool! I know, I know, it's January - but I'm from upstate NY so I would still think it's warm enough to swim! Plus I really wanted that hot tub...

So now here's my dilemma:

Stick it out with AKL, but change to a Standard View so we won't have to deal with construction... and miss out on a pool/hot tub...

Change to WL (which was our original resort), but at a Woods View for $100 more...

Change to CSR or POFQ for $300 less...

I'd like to stay with the deluxe, but it's hard for me to justify staying at AKL without the pool, and it's hard for my husband to justify any extra $$ for WL when we only wanted the standard view.. saving money at a Mod sounds good, but... sigh... I'm torn.

Also, we have the DxDP, and at WL it will be easiest to travel between resorts for meals. AKL would have been difficult, but we would have compromised with more meals at the resort (Boma/Jiko).

I need DISer help! Desperately!

What would you do?

Where are your ADR's? You're right, getting to other resorts will be easiest from WL, but I hear you on not wanting to pay extra. CSR has remodeled rooms, and queen beds, which will be nice. But, from POFQ, you can take the boat to DTD, so lots of dining options that way too. I think I f I were you, I would not want to stay at AKL with the construction, esp. if the pool is important to you. I'm assuming you would be able to use the other pool, but still....

Thank the Lord they're finally cleaning up that pool...the wife and I have stayed at the AKL the past four years, and our only dislike has been that yucky pool bottom!

:banana:

Several things:

a) Where did you hear about the pool closing? All I know of is on here: http://allears.net/tp/rehabs.htm#jan but it doesn't include resorts, I don't think.

b) What construction is going on at AKL? Kidani Village is finished.... Are you referring to the pool?

Sorry, I usually am quite in the loop and haven't heard anything, so this is a first.

c) The pool at the AKL is as "clean" as any of the other WDW pools. The "yucky pool bottom" mentioned by an above poster is not because the pool is "dirty" or "yucky." AKL painted/used colored tiles at the pool to emulate an African water hole. lol

There is only one pool at AKL with no quiet pools for people to use. Will they allow you to use the Villas pool? It will be a hike (unless they run a shuttle) but the pool looks very nice. I certainly wouldn't pay for a "pool view" when it is really a construction view!

It's just you and your hubby? No kids? I would save the money and stay at POFQ. It is very romantic.

I think POFQ is a good compromise. It's a smaller resort and has boat access to DTD and HS.

The pool is not the most outstanding, but it is nice and the hot tub is in a central location.

WL is a beautiful resort. When you consider how much you are already spending $100 isn't that much more to make it a "magical" vacation. I would not go with any of the moderates but that is just my opinion. I hope you have a wonderful trip!

See, I thought that the "yucky" bottom of the pool at AKL was part of the atmosphere - like a watering hole? That was part of the attraction to me, it was cool.

I got a letter in the mail saying that the pool will be closed, we are free to use the Kidani pool - but, that is a TREK in a wet bathing suit...

But yes, our options are vast - POFQ has the boat to DTD which would get us to dining options easier than CSR... but CSR is remodeled and gorgeous... and WL has been my dream resort since I was a kid...

Too many decisions!! :eek:

*Yes, it is just me and the Hubby!*

I just stayed at AKL with a pool view. I also stayed at CSR in January. I have to say that if this choice were mine, I'd go to CSR. The theming at Port Orleans just doesn't do anything for me. CSR is beautiful, and walking through it is lovely and romantic. There is a quiet pool in each of the three areas (Casitas, Cabanas and Ranchos), in addition to the Dig Site pool (and it was warm enough for us to spend a lot of time in January at both our quiet pool and the Dig Site). The beds are wonderfully comfortable, and we never had a problem getting to a park or another resort using Disney transport.

Take that $300 and splurge - have dinner at Victoria & Albert's!

c) The pool at the AKL is as "clean" as any of the other WDW pools. The "yucky pool bottom" mentioned by an above poster is not because the pool is "dirty" or "yucky." AKL painted/used colored tiles at the pool to emulate an African water hole. lol

There are no colored tiles at the bottom of the AKL pool, it's all a uniformly-painted blue...and yucky-looking.

That said, I love the pool, I was just looking for a fresh coat of paint on that baby!

:banana:

We are going to AKL for dates close to yours, and I've heard about the pool closing on this board, but I haven't received a letter or any notification from Disney (have you?). I talked with my husband about it, and he still wants to stay at AKL. We have a savannah view and just think the overall experience will be unlike any place we've ever stayed, so we're going to stick with it. I guess we'll be able to use the other pool, which is better than nothing. And besides, it's January and we're prepared for the fact we might not get a whole lot of pool weather (although we're hoping for at least a little bit!).

I read an update about the pool being closed for Jambo on another site, and the notice said during that time guests will be allowed to use Samwata Springs at Kidani for their swimming enjoyment. Just hop one of the DTD buses and use the pool at Kidani, when you're ready to go back just grab any of the park busses and get off at Jambo. Or I heard the walk isn't too bad.

We are staying at AKL in January and are keeping our reservation despite the pool closure. We have wanted to stay at AKL for a long time, I got a great rate with the 40% off code, and my kids would probably prefer the Kidani pool anyway. We are only going to be there 4 nights, so I don't expect that much pool time anyway unless it happens to be unseasonably warm. I'm sure we would check out the Kidani pool at least once anyway, even if the Uzima pool were still open.

All that being said, we LOVE CSR and would gladly stay there anytime. It has a great pool and a huge hot tub. The grounds are very romantic, and the new rooms are gorgeous with the new beds being very comfortable. POFQ also looks very nice and romantic.

I probably wouldn't spend more to stay at WL, but the convenience to the monorail resorts would be a plus for ADRs. CSR has great bus service, but you would still have to take a bus to MK and transfer to the monorail. I guess it is not that much less convenient than taking a boat then the monorail, though.

If we changed from AKL, we'd either stay at CSR (because we love it), the Beach Club (great pool and walk to Epcot), or Poly (great restaurants and monorail convenience). AKL offers a unique experience and we love the restaurants.

Given your choices, if you want to switch, I'd stay at CSR and use the extra money to rent a car only if you are planning ADRs at other resorts. If you have mainly park ADRs, I'd stay at CSR without a car. But we have chosen to stay where we are.

For those that have received a letter regarding the pool closure at AKL, what dates will you be staying there? We'll be there Jan 22-30, but I haven't received a letter. I wonder if they're expecting the pool to open sooner?

We were going to be at AKL from Jan 22-Jan 29th. We received the letter a few weeks ago regarding the pool closure. I would call WDW and see if maybe this is going to affect your trip, and then put it in perspective with what your needs will be and see if this will impact you. It would to us, so we switched.... but I am going to miss Boma breakfast and dinner at least 3x... sigh

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter