need advice on points

Discussion in 'Purchasing DVC' started by 3pletprincesses, Jul 3, 2014.

1. 3pletprincesses

3pletprincesses DIS Veteran

thank you for that info. I'm pretty sure I stayed in one of those studios in February when I rented points. can you book a specific view when booking value or do they give what they want? It sure would save me a bit of points to book a value LOL oh one more thing, I know the Kidani has 3 bathrooms so I'm guessing the value only have 2 since you brought the number of bathrooms up

thanks for the deadlines. It's truly appreciated

For some reason I didn't think of the girls coming while in College :rotfl2: here most colleges have a week off in October and end of feb. Now you've got me thinking that April and June might are the best for us. Thank you for bringing that up.

I can't thank you enough for all your help. I have been reading these threads and links that everyone provides to help over the past year yet I feel like a kids trying to use a bicycle. You've help put together the last few pieces of the puzzle. :thumbsup2

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Official Ticket Center is Orlando’s #1 discount attraction ticket agency, selling millions of Walt Disney tickets around the world.

to hide this adverts.
  3. Dean

Dean DIS Veteran<br><a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis

You should be able to get SSR cheaper than AKV even considering the 3 yr difference in RTU. Plus the yearly savings on top of that.

I would think this would not be the usual experience for Savannah view at 7 months out, I would be comfortable taking my chances in this situation personally.

June for summer would be the best by far. April if you might go the May holiday.

4. chalee94

chalee94 <font color=green>I thought all sand was ground up

they don't allow view requests for value villas.

(keep in mind there are thousands of AKV owners and less than 10 value 2BRs, so they might be gone right at the 11 month window. i don't know that i'd count on making every stay at the value villa price point. they are a great deal when available, though, yes.)

the value villas are all at jambo house. every 2BR in jambo house only has 2 bathrooms. (the non-value 2BRs at jambo house do have the sleeper chair, though.)

5. 3pletprincesses

Well that solves it. With 4 girls, 3 bathrooms will be a must other wise mom and dad will NEVER have a bathroom to get ready. :lmao:

6. ToddyLu

ToddyLu Welcome aboard explorers- I love Mr. Ray

:) Just sitting here thinking about your plans. We own 210 points at AKV and have used value studios the last couple of years, even booking two at a time on half our trips at 11 months. When Pandora opens that may make AKV more desirable, and obviously teenage girls would love an evening walking to Disney Springs from SSR.

To me SV at AKV just isn't as important as it was when we first purchased. You can see animals from so many other places. What you cannot change are the resort amenities. I like the indoor hallways of AKV ( just seems a little more secure to me). I love the AKV pools and the Community Hall although we do not use it very much since we do not have children and are in our late 40s. The CMS at AKV are delightful and their presentations very good.

I like AKV because it is different...the decor, animals and CMs make it unlike other hotel or vacation experiences I have had.

I too wish we would have purchased 2-125 point contracts but so far with banking and borrowing we have done well. We have been able to get 2 studios on several trips and the values allowing us to take second trips at times. Do not forget that you can purchase 24 one time only points for a 7 month reservation which is enough for 1-2 nights depending on villa and points. Of course this is a perk which may disappear.

Even if DH and I had children we would have still picked a resort that meant something to the two of us knowing that children eventually would lead other lives. Good luck on your decision!!

7. KKKKCS

KKKKCS Mouseketeer

We decided on 360 points (2 180 point contracts) because that would give us a week in a 2 BR during the most expensive time of the year. That being said, we wish we had purchased more. But that is one of the only two complaints we have ever heard from DVC owners, didn't buy in soon enough, and didn't buy enough points.

8. disneynutz

disneynutz DIS Veteran DIS Lifetime Sponsor

Buy smaller contracts, add if you need more points and later sell if you find that you need less.

:earsboy: Bill

9. Dean

For a retail purchase I'd agree but not generally for resale for most people but there are exceptions. The additional cost could be looked at as insurance so one has to decide how much that insurance is worth. The additional cost for 2 contracts vs one is the closing costs plus the difference in price pp paid higher for the smaller ones over the larger. For two 50-100 pt purchases that can be an additional $10 a point or more in some cases, for 150-170 pt contract, certainly less. On two 150-190 vs one 300-380 it's likely be in the range of an additional $2000-3000 depending on home resort, less for less desirable and more for more desirable options. IMO as insurance alone it is not worth it unless one can get additional benefits, see below.

For the number of points being looked at I would recommend it as a consideration but I would not buy both at one time and at the same resort. I would buy one and see how it goes then decide whether to add another or not. As a rule I'd get 2 different home resorts if I decide to do 2 separate purchase. Usually one cheaper like SSR an done higher demand like BWV or BLT. In many ways it's better to buy the cheaper option first but the advantage of buying the more expensive/demand one first is in the ease of finding a good second contract for the same UY.

10. disneynutz

disneynutz DIS Veteran DIS Lifetime Sponsor

I see any additional costs as nothing compared for what a buyer is signing up for when they become a DVC owner. Disney is a luxury vacation and owning DVC pretty much tells me that owners are ready to spend thousands on Disney vacations.

Buying multiple contracts and selling some or all later will have additional costs, but for me the flexibility is worth it. I also expect to not make any money when selling so if we do, that's gravy.

In reality there are only three reasons to buy.

DVC saves you money on your room(s).

You love DVC accommodations.

You feel that the perks and/or discounts are worth it.

:earsboy: Bill

11. Dean

Bill, I look at it differently and I definitely don't see the additional cost as negligible. IMO anyone who thinks they might sell later shouldn't buy so we're really only talking about changes in life situations or personal preferences. IMO it is not worth it from an "insurance" standpoint alone but might be if it adds other value such as smaller purchase now with more later and/or 2 home resorts. I feel that to pay an additional $2K or more is simply not worth it just to have potential options that might change in the future anyway. From a value standpoint it's worse than buying insurance on electronics with the same line of thinking at about 8-10% of the purchase. Now if you can get it down to a much smaller outlay without buying retail, I'd agree with you. But about the only way to do that is if you can find a seller who's selling multiple contracts, esp if you can get it down to one closing. It's possible but not likely that one can find such a situation that works with home resort, price and UY. It also limits you to a much smaller group of potential contracts. IMO it's far better to buy a single larger contract but maybe not the full size OR to buy one now and see how it goes.

12. 3pletprincesses

Thanks for your input. More food for thought. I'm by not meann an expect on DVC and wouldn't claim such a thing. I think that regardless how much I know, I still have lots to learn. I liked the idea of smaller contracts but then when I started looking, you are right, I'm looking at about $10 more per point and another $500 min for closing fees. I think I'll stick to my original plan of getting 2 contracts and SSR and AKL might both become home. We could alternate every year by banking and borrowing.

13. Dean

Good luck. Please let us know how it works out for you. This is the type of real life info that can be helpful to those who are in the investigation stages in the future.