Need advice- down payment for mortgage!- UPDATE post 104!

DisneyMandC

DIS Veteran
So I think DH and I may have found our literal dream home this morning. I'm so excited about it I can barely breathe! It's literally exactly on our price point and in the perfect location. I would probably need to act fast on it though, and we don't exactly have the traditional 20% down payment. Would you all mind giving me some info on your down payments for a mortgage? I don't like the idea of putting down less than 20%, but we do have excellent credit and no credit card debt, so we would qualify for a mortgage easily. I've been preapproved previously for a construction loan for $250,000.

First all CONGRATS!!!!! I think the first thing you need to do is put in a written offer on the house, that way you are secure in knowing no one else can snatch it up. As soon as the offer is in consult your mortgage broker to see what the next step should be.

I would get a pre approval very quickly. Sellers want to see pre approval letters with your offer. If it's a hot market this home could be off the market rather quickly.

First all CONGRATS!!!!! I think the first thing you need to do is put in a written offer on the house, that way you are secure in knowing no one else can snatch it up. As soon as the offer is in consult your mortgage broker to see what the next step should be.

I would get a pre approval very quickly. Sellers want to see pre approval letters with your offer. If it's a hot market this home could be off the market rather quickly.

Thank you! I don't think it would necessarily be a hot market for this particular home, but it's a piece of property adjoining my mom's property and is actually in our budget. The likelihood of that ever coming up again based on the homes currently being built around there is zero. I'm trying to look at different mortgage programs at work since it's rural, but I think our income is too high to qualify for a USDA program. We are first-time buyers though, so I don't know what the discounts look like for that anymore. I know several years ago they were excellent.

Also I did use a mortgage broker and while I did pay him for his services, the savings (I believe) are worth it. I was all set to lock in a 5.5% and he got me a 5% last minute.

I did a FHA loan and it was a minimum of 3.5% down and got a 5% on a 30 yr note

Any issues with FHA loans? Like I said, we're first time buyers so I don't really know too much about this stuff! If we had to put down a down payment today, we could do 5% and still have enough in our bank account for an emergency fund. If I really scrimped over the coming months, we could probably get it to 8%.

I was a first time buyer and my only issue was waiting at the lawyers office because they said they did not receive the bank wire. Wait over 6 hours.

I was showing them that it was sent and they should have it. They wanted me to believe them over my mom that works at the bank that sent the wire.

I was a first time buyer and my only issue was waiting at the lawyers office because they said they did not receive the bank wire. Wait over 6 hours.

I was showing them that it was sent and they should have it. They wanted me to believe them over my mom that works at the bank that sent the wire.

Haha, believe me, I know all about those pesky lawyers- I am one!

Haha, believe me, I know all about those pesky lawyers- I am one!

It was a classic, he said she said. Regardless of what I wanted to do, there was nothing to do but wait. Then like a miracle from the sky, it appeared and all was right in the world again.

Regarding FHA loans, you must pay A PMI (Private Mortgage Insurance) if you don't put 20% down. The percentage recently decreased but I also think that you have to pay it for the life of the loan vs. up to 20% equity (which is how our loan is structured). Our PMI is over $450 a month but our mortgage is about twice what yours will be.

Regarding FHA loans, you must pay A PMI (Private Mortgage Insurance) if you don't put 20% down. The percentage recently decreased but I also think that you have to pay it for the life of the loan vs. up to 20% equity (which is how our loan is structured). Our PMI is over $450 a month but our mortgage is about twice what yours will be.
Holy rusted metal Batman. I know I pay PMI but dang, your PMI is over half my mortgage payment.

OK good to know. I assume the PMI payment goes down based on how much you put down? The asking price is what we had considered reasonable for first home (250) so I'm thinking if we can talk them down a little and have a lower mortgage than expected, the PMI wouldn't be so bad.

We bought a house with less than 20% down. Fortunately, housing prices were still heading up, so we were able to get rid of PMI ahead of schedule. And PMI is the primary extra cost to buying with less than 20%.

I would worry more about your monthly payments and your ability to cope with whatever maintenance issues are likely. There are lots of good reasons for buying with less than 20% down. But real estate agents often encourage people to buy at the largest mortgage they can qualify for, and that's so often a bad idea. We were hi-tech DINKs with great job security but new to the job market, and could have qualified for a house at least $50K more than what we bought, but knew better. Even today, with mortgage lending getting tighter, they're still willing to lend you money based on a household budget that will keep you fed, clothed, with retirement savings and an emergency buffer to cover anything short of long term job loss - but not with enough money left over for regular WDW trips.

So as long as you're comfortable that after your monthly payments (including PMI, taxes, and insurance) and other fixed expenses, you still have enough left over to contribute the max to your retirement plans, save for any college needs, and build a six-month emergency buffer, without living off of ramen, don't sweat the PMI. Do pay attention to the rules, and either refinance or get the PMI taken off when you qualify. In our case, all we needed was an appraisal showing the house had gone up in value to make our equity clearly more than 20%.

EDIT: The other big downside is being upside down when the market drops and catastrophe strikes. Many of the people who lost their homes during the recent bust had put down less than 20%. I don't think we'll see another bust like that for a while, but it can happen. Make sure you have long term disability insurance, and be realistic about job security.

I know it isn't a "fair" comparison but I purchase my home at 90K with 3.5% down, 5% interest, insurance and taxes rolled into one bundle and have a $755 monthly payment

if it's rural you might want to check with credit unions within/near the area. the advantage would be they likely use appraisers who are familiar with the oddities, rules and restrictions that come with rural properties in a given area. they can also be better versed at more quickly coming up with comps to justify the loan. we live rural and in our experience those that go with the local lenders can get more personal knowledgably attention from professionals who know the area in a much more timely manner.

keep in mind a few things when looking at rural properties though-in addition to your pmi, you may end up paying more for homeowner's insurance depending on the proximity to a fire department/historical issues with flooding and if there are multiple empty lots adjacent to your new home (agents around here consider those empty lots attractive nuisances that can attract atv riders and such who may wander on to our property so it puts our property at a higher risk factor, they also see those unmaintained lots as a fire hazard for our homes.

We bought a house with less than 20% down. Fortunately, housing prices were still heading up, so we were able to get rid of PMI ahead of schedule. And PMI is the primary extra cost to buying with less than 20%.

I would worry more about your monthly payments and your ability to cope with whatever maintenance issues are likely. There are lots of good reasons for buying with less than 20% down. But real estate agents often encourage people to buy at the largest mortgage they can qualify for, and that's so often a bad idea. We were hi-tech DINKs with great job security but new to the job market, and could have qualified for a house at least $50K more than what we bought, but knew better. Even today, with mortgage lending getting tighter, they're still willing to lend you money based on a household budget that will keep you fed, clothed, with retirement savings and an emergency buffer to cover anything short of long term job loss - but not with enough money left over for regular WDW trips.

So as long as you're comfortable that after your monthly payments (including PMI, taxes, and insurance) and other fixed expenses, you still have enough left over to contribute the max to your retirement plans, save for any college needs, and build a six-month emergency buffer, without living off of ramen, don't sweat the PMI. Do pay attention to the rules, and either refinance or get the PMI taken off when you qualify. In our case, all we needed was an appraisal showing the house had gone up in value to make our equity clearly more than 20%.

This is mostly true. (I'm not doubting your experience! ) My experience was different, however. We have a 3.25 interest rate. I think the lowest in who knows how long. We quickly got to the 20% equity mark (maybe 8-10 months? ) but as our house went up in value so did interest rates! In order to drop our PMI we would have had to refinance thus having an interest rate over 1% of what we had!

It didn't make sense to refinance so here we are waiting to get to that 20% equity mark (it doesn't come off automatically, however). I'm hoping to get to it sooner (by a year or so)by paying down the principal. I will be so happy to have an extra $450 a month in our pockets!

EDIT: The other big downside is being upside down when the market drops and catastrophe strikes. Many of the people who lost their homes during the recent bust had put down less than 20%. I don't think we'll see another bust like that for a while, but it can happen. Make sure you have long term disability insurance, and be realistic about job security.

I don't think we're at the max for a home. I know I shouldn't compare, but I see couples our age (mid-20s) buying homes in neighborhoods where prices start in the low 300s, and I know they aren't making our income. I realize that's not a good basis for comparison for our own lives, but I feel like if they're getting mortgages for up to that high, I should definitely be able to qualify for the significantly lower amount I'm requesting.

I am getting ready to start a job with the state retirement system, so I will be maxing that out, and DH has retirement as well as stocks through his company. Fortunately, we are not planning to have children, so future education expenses will not be a concern. Yes, I know "anything can happen." No, it's not happening.

That is my biggest concern regarding the less than 20% is the previous market bust. I was in college when that happened so wasn't super educated about it, but I knew enough to know it was from people putting down too little on their homes. I would definitely want us to put down the max amount possible without disrupting our emergency fund,

Maybe I'll just win the lottery and won't have to worry about this! Guess I better buy a ticket first though. :rotfl2:

I had no down payment, seller paid closing costs, no PMI, and my 30 year fixed is 2-7/8%. I even got 8k from the gov't. This was in 2009 when they were begging people to buy. YMMV

Unless you have horrible credit, you should have no problem getting a mortgage at around 5% down.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter