Need a ladies opinion....

I have diabetes. I have lost a child from having it. 2 years ago aug 1st My advice to you i cancel. When i go to DW I can pretty much eat and do waht I want but I do get very tired and sick if I eat to much of something caue it very hard o keep track of what your body is trying to tell u cause u don't want to slow down. Now preggo it's gonna be so much harder. And if something happens to the baby she will never forgive herself. Till this day I wonder if it was my fault cause I maybe ate to much ice cream etc.... Hold off going until the baby is born say like march time frame it's not that crowed and she will be more happy and is able to enjoy her trip. I hope this help IM me if u have more questions I have learned allot about being preggo and being diabetic. Trust me she will understand at the end.:flower3:

You sound like a wonderful, caring man, husband and father. All will be well.
You'll see.:thumbsup2

I think you're definitely on the right track to talk seriously with your wife's OBGYN. But might I recommend that you at least broach the subject with your DW first? She might think you're blindsiding her if the first mention of it is at the doc's. Surely she is having her own concerns - she can't be surprised if you bring it up. And I really think you're on the right track by focusing on her health rather than finances. This way you get to be "compassionate guy" rather than "budget guy." :-)

Good luck with the many discussions that will follow and with your decisionmaking process. No matter what you and your DW decide, don't let anybody tell you you made the "wrong" decision, because the only "right" decision is the one that is best for your family.

Best of luck! :-)

Thanks so much. Ya'll always have such great advice. I think we have until Aug 5 to cancel, so I wouldn't make a decision until before then. We meet with the OB next Friday and have the first sonogram then as well. I am planning on bringing it up in front of him so that hopefully it will get me a buffer from her emotions! I definitely would approach her with the physical aspect for her rather than the financial aspect. The good news is that it will be right smack dab in the middle of the pregnancy which is always the easiest on her. I know she won't be able to ride a couple of her most favorite rides, and she couldn't wait to try Expedition Everest, but there is still so much for her to do. The heat won't be much of an issue, because we are used to it and the humidity around here has been through the roof this summer (17 inches of rain in two weeks will do that!).

I think as long as the doctor is OK with it we should still go. I feel comfortable with his decision because he is extremely cautious - almost paranoid. The really ironic thing about this all is that in March we were just days away from signing on our DVC purchase when I decided we needed to back out, take one trip with DD3 and see how she handled it and whether her disabilities were going to make the trip difficult. I was not popular at home then, but DW did comment last night how glad she was we did not make that commitment.

As to the comment about leaving DW at home and taking just my DD's at my MIL, that's a very sweet sentiment, but I would like my kids to have a daddy after September and I am afraid that "accidentally" falling in front of a monorail would not be a pleasant way to go!

I think that is the best way to do it. Just cancelling for money would be devestating! Hopefully your wife will be able to do it and you guys can go and have a great time! BTW - POR does fit 5 people, and would be quite a bit cheaper than Poly:) ( POR is great!!!)

First of all, congratulations on the upcoming arrival!!!

It seems to me that you have two issues:1) concern for your wife's health and that of the baby, and 2) the money.

1) Most definitely, your wife should speak to her OBGYN. She should do it as soon as possible. (Note: as you already know, her emotions are likely to be all over the place. So remind HER to ask, don't do it yourself. Have a calm discussion ahead of time about the issues you both need to know about: the advisability of flying, bed rest...) Offer to write them down for her in case "Pregnancy Brain" makes her forget. You've done this twice before; you know the drill.

Assuming the doctor gives the OK for the trip, you'll want to do your homework before going. Can the doctor find and recommend a doctor in the Orlando area in case there's a problem? Can the hotel?

Obviously, this will be a different trip than the one you originally planned. You'll have to cut down a bit on the walking, include a bit more down time, at least for your wife. Maybe do a bit more planning, so those breaks are built into your day to head off the exhaustion. Leave before the fireworks at night so you're not spending an extra hour late at night just waiting in line. You get my drift.

2) As to saving money, I'll defer to the experts here. It's been over a decade since I was at Disney, and the last time I stayed on site was 1976.

Again, congrats!!

I would suggest a cheaper resort and get an electric wheelchair,,,can 3 year old sit in a lap instead of riding in her own chair? I don't know the extent of her disability but that might help "kill 2 birds with one stone" Mom wouldn't have to push a chair and could ride in relative comfort and ease....you sure have a challenge ahead....if you found cheaper accomodations the cost of the electric wheelchair would be offset....be sure you rent one off property if you do...good luck and GOD bless

I'm with the "you need to both discuss it with her doctor" camp and also with the "focus on her rather than finances" camp and also the "you need to talk to her before you go to the doctor" camp. If you first bring it up at the doctor, I know I would feel blindsided and I would not hear another word that was said.
I would suggest a cheaper resort and get an electric wheelchair,,,can 3 year old sit in a lap instead of riding in her own chair? I don't know the extent of her disability but that might help "kill 2 birds with one stone" Mom wouldn't have to push a chair and could ride in relative comfort and ease....you sure have a challenge ahead....if you found cheaper accomodations the cost of the electric wheelchair would be offset....be sure you rent one off property if you do...good luck and GOD bless
Electric wheelchairs can't be rented by people without experience driving one, but ECVs (power mobility scooters) can. There is information on the disABILITIES Board, in the disABILITIES FAQs thread that talks about how/where to rent an ECV/scooter, including links.
Your 3 yr old would not be able to sit on your wife's lap while she drives an ECV. It is not safe and the rental agreements specifically forbid it.

If DW is driving an ECV, you would be free to push a stroller, so an ECV would be a good idea to help your DW.

Talked to DW about it today. She was having a "good" day - probably because I surprised her to a trip to the mall and the Disney Store was having a HUGE sale and she just bought, and bought, but I digress....

Anyway, I told her I was worried about the trip and what it would do to her physically, and also that I was concerned about her not getting to ride some of her favorite rides, and she still wants to go! She appreciated my concern and understood that I was leaving it completely up to her - well actually her and the doctor - and she was really great!

We see the OB Friday and get our first pictures! We will talk to him and see what he has to say, but if he OK's it then it is still on. I decided to just suck it up about the money. It seems the proximity and access of the Poly is even more critical now than it was.

BTW - I LOVE the suggestion about renting the ECV. We will definitely look into it. Thanks for all the great insight. Glad I asked here - all of my buddies pretty much had the same reaction I had - cancel and pay for the baby.

I went to Disney when I was 3 months pregnant(and morning sickness every day). We cruised for 4 days of it and did disney for the other 3 days. I was very tired by midday, but we thought it was good exercise and I just took it slower than normal. look at it this way... It may be a long time before you get the chance to get back to WDW. Having a new baby takes up a lot of your time. You may not get the chance to go for another 3 or 4 years. I say go for it. You have a extra person there to help out and your wife probably would enjoy getting away from it all before your life gets a lot more busy. She could come back to the resort midday and hang by the pool or take anice nap. Then go out for some fireworks in the evening. I would ask her what she wants to do,instaed of making that decision for her.I would also find out the names of a few medical clinic's that take your insurance just in case you need to use them. We always do this before a trip. In the event something happens, you would feel more prepared knowing who you will use for a clinic and where they are located.

Thanks for the ideas. Driving is pretty much out since 1. tickets are paid for and 2. by the time we got two wheelchairs and 6 suitcases in the minivan , we would have to ride in top!
Are the rooms at the value resorts as small as they look. We have 5 people, (mother in law comes to help with girls) and at the Poly space doesn't seem to be an issue. At values I think the 2 wheelchairs would fill any available space.

What about 2 rooms at a value?? Still cheaper then a Deluxe, plus you'll have the extra bathroom!!!!

I would switch to a cheaper resort if they let you keep the free dining and take it easy with lots of breaks so she has time to relax.

From what I understood we cannot change resorts and keep the free dining. Is this correct? I am also thinking that being on the monorail at the Poly will really make it much easier for her (or the girls) to rest when need be.

From what I understood we cannot change resorts and keep the free dining. Is this correct? I am also thinking that being on the monorail at the Poly will really make it much easier for her (or the girls) to rest when need be.

I would keep the Poly. I think it would be really nice to have the monorail access for your wife and also for your daughters. It's also a nicer resort, and since it may be awhile before you get back, you might as well enjoy the Poly.

Thanks for the ideas. Driving is pretty much out since 1. tickets are paid for and 2. by the time we got two wheelchairs and 6 suitcases in the minivan , we would have to ride in top!
Are the rooms at the value resorts as small as they look. We have 5 people, (mother in law comes to help with girls) and at the Poly space doesn't seem to be an issue. At values I think the 2 wheelchairs would fill any available space.

You could do the family suites at the AS Music - Value that sleeps 5 or the POR (not the french quraters side - the riverside). They have rooms that are able to accommodate 5 but the is a moderate resort.

I think that you need to follow the advise of your doctors. If they think that she will be ok as long as she does not over do it ---then go and make sure that she takes it easy. Take extra breaks and so on. I, also, had high risk pregnancies. I was fine with the first but they put me on bed rest with the second one for 15 weeks.

Disney will always be there. I am a Disney Freak just like everyone else here but you need to do what you and the doctors feel is best.

Good luck with your decision. Here is a little pixie dust to help!pixiedust: pixiedust: pixiedust:

First off, congratulations on being a daddy again. Hope all goes well. Don't know if anyone has suggested this or not, but while your at the OB, ask him/her to refer you to someone in FL just in case. If it were me, I'd feel better knowing that I have a phone number to call if I got into trouble, instead of finding a hospital, then finding a doctor. Maybe your OB can guide you.

Staying at the Poly sounds like the right move. The monorail is right there and she can leave if she needs to you (if you're at the MK or EPCOT) and you and your MIL could stay with the girls at the park. At AK and MGM, it's a little tricker getting back, but doable.

Hope all goes well at the doctor's and what ever you all decide it'll be the right thing. Good luck.
pixiedust:

I would certainly ask your wife's OB doctor about the situation. In all honesty, no vacation ( even a disney vacation) is worth complications to a pregnancy. Although it may upset your wife to talk about this at the time, in the end she will realize it is out of your concern for her. But whatever you decide as a family, best wishes!!!:grouphug:

and he said that our September vacation would be no problem.:cool1:

The only thing is that the due date that the ultra sound calculated was three weeks later than it calculates using the dates my wife gave him. My wife calculates she is 9 weeks the ultrasound only 6 weeks.

He is going to repeat the ultrasound a week from Monday. Is this a problem?

I don't know if this has been covered but my first thought was to rent her a motorized wheelchair. She will have to do very little walking and enjoy her trip. I hope this helps.:)

First, I would be really upset if I planned on the Poly & my DH downgraded us to a value because HE got me preggie!;) (which my Dh has done 3 times:love: )
As long as your wife is still up for it I wouldn't mess w/ my ressies. She probably knows her body well enough by the third to be smart about resting & hydration etc..
I would plan on short park days w/ a lot of breaks, early ADR's & if its ok w/ the MIL a dinner for just the two of you.
As long as you & MIL are planning on helping even more than normally, and you sound like the kind of DH who is, I think you will be fine.
Your DW will need a ridiculous amount of h20 a day, I believe Staples delivers cases to WDW resorts. You can also look up GardenGrocers (I think that is it:confused3 ) web site they deliver to your resort also.
Your DW might be thinking that it will be easier to go pregnant than w/ 3 children, I hope whatever you do, you have a great time!!
You guys deserve some good wishes..hope you recieve some magic:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!