1. Follow the DIS on Instagram! www.instagram.com/the.dis

Need a gift for sis who is graduating, any ideas?

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by WeLoveLilo05, Jun 9, 2009.

1. WeLoveLilo05

WeLoveLilo05 DIS Veteran

My sister is graduating high school in 2 weeks and I am clueless as what to buy her. I wanted to get her something special to mark this occasion in her life, but did not want to spend a whole lot of money either (hopefully under $25).

Here's what I can tell you about her
    She is going to community college, so she will not be dorming
    She likes to read but I don't think she likes "buying books", she'd rather go to library.
    She likes movies
    She loves fashion and decorating
    Thanks!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Tweevil

Tweevil Twin Evils....

A starter silver braclet and a charm for the graduation. And then at every life events she can add one. This may be slightly above your budget but it is a nice memory gift...

4. empty_nester

empty_nester Earning My Ears

5. derocas

derocas Mouseketeer

When my brother graduated high school my husband and I gave cash but my children gave him the book, "OH the Places You Will Go" by Dr. Seuss.
    They wrote something cute inside and he said it was his favorite gift.

I'm not sure if that helps in your situation.

6. alisha8

alisha8 Earning My Ears

We gave my niece a piece of luggage. I was surprised at how cheap you can get it now!

7. tinytink

tinytink DIS Veteran

How about you get a nice shadow box from Michaels or ACMoore using a 40 or 50% off coupon then she can put her diploma and tassle in the box with maybe a pic of the two of you on her graduation day.

8. baz212

baz212 Earning My Ears

9. Sorsha

Sorsha <font color=royalblue>People, don't be like the ch

How about this...
    Go to your local JoAnn's or Michael's and pick up a nice basket. Go to your local Blockbuster or Movie Gallery or another rental store and pick up a gift certificate for $15 worth of movie rentals. Put it in the basket along with a selection of movie candy and microwave popcorn. Instant movie-lovers gift basket! :)

10. smiles&grins

smiles&grins Earning My Ears

Do either of you scrapbook? You could make her one to keep all of her HS memories in or get her a kit of stuff to make her own. I have tons of pictures from HS, sadly there all in a box in the basement somewhere!?

11. PatsMom

PatsMom <font color=blue>Sometimes has Dory moments!<br><f

Cash is always appropriate and appreciated. The people who have asked me what DD wanted for graduation were actually happy to hear that what she wants is cash to go toward her new laptop computer.

Even with community college, she is sure to have tons of expenses for books, fees, computer, etc. Even if your gift is modest, if she puts it together with other gifts it can mean a lot. To my DD, every dollar she gets for graduation is a dollar less she will be repaying on her student loans!

12. WeLoveLilo05

WeLoveLilo05 DIS Veteran

Thank you! I was actually thinking of getting "O The Places You'll Go" for her, but I feel funny saying this...but I really don't care for Dr. Seuss...haha, yes this is coming from a soon to be teacher. I found this book and opened it and got very teary eyed because it was so cute and it basically said everything I wanted to say to my sis, but in a nice little rhyming book. So I picked her up that and I think I might get her a gift card for Borders.

13. Lashawn131

Lashawn131 Earning My Ears

What great ideas you all have. You can also go to the dollar store, they have a bunch of school supplies that she will surely need in college.