NCL cancels fireworks off their Getaway/Breakaway ships

What is strange is we saw this our first few cruises, where the other ships would book out of there when they were done. Oddly we haven't seen this again in a few years, wonder if DCL raised a stink about it.
Don't know that DCL could really do anything about whether there are other ships in their vicinity. Especially in the Caribbean - there are a lot of ships running around the same islands. We've frequently seen other ships "nearby" on Pirate night.

What is strange is we saw this our first few cruises, where the other ships would book out of there when they were done. Oddly we haven't seen this again in a few years, wonder if DCL raised a stink about it.

No real way for dcl to stop it as long as the other ship/s are a permitted and safe distance away from them.
Maybe they realised they were behaving like crows picking on the leftovers, or why dcl are different and decided it was best to not advertise what other can offer?

Some have cancelled their upcoming and future cruises because of ALL of the cutbacks on NCL. Not least just the fireworks.

coldflame
user_offline.gif

Cool Cruiser

Yes, it wasn't the Macy's 4th show, but nobody expects that. It was really nice and I'm sorry to see it go. I honestly do hope NCL tried to fill the gap with something. The 80's party is kind of lame. This was the best part.
I'm sorry. Anyone who tries to minimize the elimination of fireworks as not big deal is just a delusional apologist. We have 7 DCL cruises under our belt and their fireworks although much more "themed" and put together in a production (duh, it's Disney), are very similar to these in terms of quantity and quality. Fireworks are always a treat and something specially the kids look forwards to -- at least ours do. NCL is simply doing a "death by a thousand cuts". None of the changes they have done in the last 6 months by itself is bad, the accumulation and impact of all the them together is what blows, as a customer. They just kissed the our may reservation goodbye. If I can find a suitable replacement for the October one in the next week, they'll say good-bye to that as well.

Recent trips: 7 x DCL (4 x Dream, 3 x Fantasy)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=47288557&postcount=45

No real way for dcl to stop it as long as the other ship/s are a permitted and safe distance away from them.
Maybe they realised they were behaving like crows picking on the leftovers, or why dcl are different and decided it was best to not advertise what other can offer?

It could be that we are getting further from port when they do the fireworks on the itineraries we have been on recently which would mean ships can't tag along that long. I think before when we saw other ships, we didn't have a long sail to our next island. It used to be cool though when the other ships would hang out and we could ship watch at night.

Don't know that DCL could really do anything about whether there are other ships in their vicinity. Especially in the Caribbean - there are a lot of ships running around the same islands. We've frequently seen other ships "nearby" on Pirate night.

It could be that we are getting further from port when they do the fireworks on the itineraries we have been on recently which would mean ships can't tag along that long. I think before when we saw other ships, we didn't have a long sail to our next island. It used to be cool though when the other ships would hang out and we could ship watch at night.

What it could be is that since a lot of lines changed there departure days and DCL stayed the same, it could be a timing thing where there simply aren't ships in the area, by design or accident. I wasn't really looking but I don't remember seeing any other ships in the area, 2 weeks ago on the Dream.

Possibly. I don't see dcl spending the extra money cruising slowly to ports just to shake off other cruise lines though.
If ncl have deemed it too cost prohibitive in just providing the show at their lower prices, it doesn'tt make sense in my head they they would cruise slow then have to speed up to make up the lost time and burn extra fuel going a lot faster and less efficiently?
Then again you may be right with the price increases! :p

It's about what is advertised when you book and is taken away.

It's half the price of DCL, but has a lot of activities/entertainment. Our family's favorite things (water slides, rock wall, fireworks) drew us to NCL. To lose something disappoints.

Have you ever read the cruise contract with your tickets? They don't guarantee which ship you will be on, or even what ports....if ANY you will go to. So every cruise line makes sure that everyone knows that everything they advertise is subject to change. I gambled on NCL after they went to Freestyle dining. It's a mess, and the person who thought it up ought to be made to walk the plank, but with a little work, you can reserve a set table, with the same servers every night. But it is a little work that you don't have to do on lines without Freestyle.

Interestingly, the only cruises we've done were Oceania (no fireworks) and the DCL Baltics (no fireworks, I think due to the really LATE sunset.) I didn't feel that I was missing anything.

I do understand frustration at many cuts, but fireworks alone wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

Have you ever read the cruise contract with your tickets? They don't guarantee which ship you will be on, or even what ports....if ANY you will go to. So every cruise line makes sure that everyone knows that everything they advertise is subject to change. I gambled on NCL after they went to Freestyle dining. It's a mess, and the person who thought it up ought to be made to walk the plank, but with a little work, you can reserve a set table, with the same servers every night. But it is a little work that you don't have to do on lines without Freestyle.
I will have reservations for every night as we have a large party.
It's CONSTANT changes going on over there.
When we booked, if you had ultimate dining and were willing to go to the dinner show first night it was free. That's gone, too. The frustrating part is if you aren't reading CC you'd get in the ship and have no clue how different it was from when you booked.

Have you ever read the cruise contract with your tickets? They don't guarantee which ship you will be on, or even what ports....if ANY you will go to. So every cruise line makes sure that everyone knows that everything they advertise is subject to change.
Yes, that is the lawyers talk. To avoid cruisers suing over missed ports or anything (thinking of missed CC days here). Commercially I don't think any line will get away with just floating in a ship. Anchoring it 5 miles out of port for 7 days and then disembark. Bookings would drop immediately, even though nog passenger could file for them as the contract stated that everything is subject to change.

I must like fireworks more than the average traveler.
That's ok. Each to his/her own. It's your cruise, so you decide for yourself what is or isn't a deal breaker.
Not having small children I don't care if they shut down the Nursery, for others that sure would be a no go. (just a random example)
Just enjoy your cruise!

I think fireworks are pretty but I hate that horrible cloud of smoke and all the chemicals that fall into the ocean. Cruises are not very environmental friendly in the first place but fireworks seemed like a little over the top for 10 minutes of entrainment.

I wonder if other ships are intentionally avoiding DCL on fireworks nights... personally, I wouldn't want to make a big deal about something cool that another cruise line had, if my company didn't have that thing.

Yes, that is the lawyers talk. To avoid cruisers suing over missed ports or anything (thinking of missed CC days here). Commercially I don't think any line will get away with just floating in a ship. Anchoring it 5 miles out of port for 7 days and then disembark. Bookings would drop immediately, even though nog passenger could file for them as the contract stated that everything is subject to change.
Yes, but barring unusual circumstances, that isn't ever going to happen. But changes in the entertainment schedule are going to happen frequently.

I think fireworks are pretty but I hate that horrible cloud of smoke and all the chemicals that fall into the ocean. Cruises are not very environmental friendly in the first place but fireworks seemed like a little over the top for 10 minutes of entrainment.
It's more like 3 to 4 minutes of fireworks.

MUN

The +/-10 minute Fireworks show really drops nothing more then ash in the ocean. The shells are fired by air pressure, not black powder, like in the old days. Most of the colors are with minerals and ores, not chemicals. Not perfect, but much less of a environment problem then years ago.

As to Environmentally friendly, todays cruise vessels actually are very friendly to the ocean. No sewage, no garbage/trash at all in the ocean. It is all processed and put ashore and sent to be recycled. The engines on the newer ships anyway, are quite clean burning. The hulls underwater are no longer painted, but use special coatings, to minimize any release of chemicals into the water.

To the best of my knowledge, the only waste over the side is food scraps.

AKK

Last edited:
wow that is disappointing news, i was looking forward to the fireworks!!! I'm very disappointed that they cut ties with Nickelodeon so meeting Spongebob and friends, Dora, themeing in the kiddie pool, activities, character breakfasts (and they had just said they were expanding it with a character dinner and more character meets and activities, then they turn around and say it's all being removed). So the fireworks are just another let down.
Too bad Vista is not out yet for next spring.

I get that nobody likes it when things are cut (and it sounds like NCL is cutting a lot), but at least from a DCL perspective I can't imagine giving up Alaska or Iceland or the Baltics because there won't be any fireworks.

Yes, but barring unusual circumstances, that isn't ever going to happen. But changes in the entertainment schedule are going to happen frequently.
I recently read about the Fantasy once changing from a Western Caribbean to an Eastern itinerary due to weather conditions, so these major changes really can happen. And there will alway be some who are disappointed and demand monetary compensation instead of enjoying their wonderful cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter