NCL cancels fireworks off their Getaway/Breakaway ships

momof2n2

DIS Veteran
Much to my dismay.

Just wanted to put that out there for those considering these seemingly beautiful ships, but for whom this would be a deal breaker.

It hasn't prompted me to cancel, but I am seriously weighing other options.

Found this posted on another board

"Norwegian has announced that effective August 1, they will no longer be doing fireworks from the Getaway and Breakaway. The line claims they are doing this because of the complexity of the operation and that it is manpower intensive, and this will allow them to "ensure we’re focusing the best overall guest experience possible".
Special translation: it cost too much"

Yep. Really enjoyed my cruise on GA last month but they're making it hard to continue cheerleading for them on this particular forum.

Oh well, if they don't manage to lure priced-out DCL folks, maybe the fares will drop more. :/

Why would 10 minutes worth of fireworks be a deal breaker for a cruise? I saw a post once where someone didn't want to do the Alaskan cruise because there are no fireworks. I would rather have a week worth of beautiful scenery than 10 minutes of fireworks but that is just me.

It's about what is advertised when you book and is taken away.

It's half the price of DCL, but has a lot of activities/entertainment. Our family's favorite things (water slides, rock wall, fireworks) drew us to NCL. To lose something disappoints.

I understand your disappointment since it was something advertised but I'm still amazed that some - not saying you - would cancel or not even book the cruise to begin with over 10 minutes worth of fireworks.

We sailed our first NCL (the Getaway) in early June. Even though I enjoyed the fireworks, I still didn't enjoy it as much as DCL's. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad others enjoyed it. It's just that DCL's pirate night is a whole different 'experience,' IMHO. That said, DH and I are sailing the Getaway again in late September. We're okay with no fireworks, and will still have our unlimited beverage package, freestyle dining, and great water-slides. :)

The DCL fireworks are about 15 to 20 minutes.

I believe from what I have read on other forums,what is concerning NCL cruisers is the steady cancellation of amenities on NCL vessels over the last few months under the new CEO.

AKK

I believe from what I have read on other forums,what is concerning NCL cruisers is the steady cancellation of amenities on NCL vessels over the last few months under the new CEO.

AKK
Are they that long??? Doesn't feel like it. Interesting. Or does that 15-20 minutes also include the little production show that precedes the fireworks?

Once this CEO runs through his changes it'll all settle down. Still, for the cost difference there's a definite value. I'm keeping a wary eye just to be sure. I always can cancel before our PIF date in March. Either way, next May we most assuredly will NOT be sailing with Mickey. Or going to visit Mickey at the US parks. ;)

Are they that long??? Doesn't feel like it. Interesting. Or does that 15-20 minutes also include the little production show that precedes the fireworks?

Once this CEO runs through his changes it'll all settle down. Still, for the cost difference there's a definite value. I'm keeping a wary eye just to be sure. I always can cancel before our PIF date in March. Either way, next May we most assuredly will NOT be sailing with Mickey. Or going to visit Mickey at the US parks. ;)

Hi sweet Pee....according to mywife who I just asked....it's the whole show part. She says the fireworks by themselves are about 10......she loves fireworks shows so I bow to her facts on that.

AKK

Hi sweet Pee....according to mywife who I just asked....it's the whole show part. She says the fireworks by themselves are about 10......she loves fireworks shows so I bow to her facts on that.

AKK
Ah, okay. Thanks! Yeah, I've never felt the urge to swim the sea of humanity at the rails to see the stage show part of the fireworks. Or stake the spot that early. ;)

AKK
They were less than 5 minutes on our Fantasy EC cruise last month.

MUN

Found this posted on another board

"Norwegian has announced that effective August 1, they will no longer be doing fireworks from the Getaway and Breakaway. The line claims they are doing this because of the complexity of the operation and that it is manpower intensive, and this will allow them to "ensure we’re focusing the best overall guest experience possible".
Special translation: it cost too much"
Re Translated: It's Easier to "stalk" DCL ships and have their guests watch "our" fireworks.

Hi Tonkas's skipper,

These video's show the fireworks to be around the 3-4 minute mark?

Magic or wonder 2015 -

Fantasy 2012-

Dream from fantasy 2012 -

Magic 2009 -

wonder 2006 -

Maybe fond memories make it seem like a longer show :)

Re Translated: It's Easier to "stalk" DCL ships and have their guests watch "our" fireworks.

What is strange is we saw this our first few cruises, where the other ships would book out of there when they were done. Oddly we haven't seen this again in a few years, wonder if DCL raised a stink about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter