Nautical Knowledge, series II.

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by Tonka's Skipper, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Tonka's Skipper

Tonka's Skipper DIS Veteran

Well folks here we go again!.

As before my answers are the ones I feel are the most commonly held as correct. However as anything in Nautical world, there maybe different terms/answers and old sea stories come in various forms.

I am happy to hear anyones answers!:thumbsup2

Easy:

1. FLAGS, a vessel flying a flag that is red on one 1/2 and white on the other, divided by a vertical line, has who/what onboard?

2. Flags, a vessel entering port, flying a all yellow flag means want?

3. What is a sea anchor? This is found mostly on small boats/lifeboats.

4. What types of flares are found in lifeboats?

5. What 2 items are found attached to a lifevest?

[6. What is a swell a vs a wave?

Harder:

1. What is the *BELLBOOK*?

2 What is a magnetic compass? when the compass needle is pointing to north on a magnetic compass, what is it pointing to?

3. Related to a compass, what is deviation? and what is variation?

4. What is the navigators *balls* (ok no, its not what some of you are thinking *G*)

5. We all know the Bermuda triangle..where are the 2 other areas of water near/in the US that is also known for many vessels sinking/missing?

[6. What is the difference between a criuse ship and a ocean liner?

DCL/Cruise line History :

1. What was the last steam powered side wheeler to operate on the hudson river?

2. Which sister ship to the titanic struck and sank what *lightship* in heavy fog?

3. What is the name of the oldest cruise ship operating now?,her name now and then? and what was she famous for?

[4. Who started NCL and Carnival lines?

5. Why is the design and decor of the DCL ships known as classic?

Enjoy!

Ill post another set friday........harder this time!.*S*

AKK

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. epcot1stfave

epcot1stfave Mouseketeer

First section

1 I have a pilot on board

2 I request free partique

3 Usually a canvas bucket like shape with no bottom trailed from the stern used to keep the boats bow into the seas

4 Not sure guessing orange coloured ones

5 Whistle, Light

6 Swell is a "rolling" sea a wave breaks usually with whitecaps

Will have to have a think about the rest :headache:

4. Who's your Mickey?

Who's your Mickey? Ruler of the Disney Universe

See above

5. Tonka's Skipper

Hey folks...........you people know more then I thought........good Job!

I'll post my answers tomorrow

AKK

6. disdel

disdel Ears? Anyone remember the GEnie boards?

Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper
    Well folks here we go again!.

As before my answers are the ones I feel are the most commonly held as correct. However as anything in Nautical world, there maybe different terms/answers and old sea stories come in various forms.

I am happy to hear anyones answers!
    OK, my notes are in blue, and thx to Who's Your Mickey for all the other great answers!
    Ken

Easy:

1. FLAGS, a vessel flying a flag that is red on one 1/2 and white on the other, divided by a vertical line, has who/what onboard? Pilot onboard

2. Flags, a vessel entering port, flying a all yellow flag means want? Port request/Permission to use the port

3. What is a sea anchor? This is found mostly on small boats/lifeboats. intended to slow the boat and keep it from broaching in the current
    It's USUALLY a canvas or equivalent cone-shape that is used as a drogue for the above purposes. In emergency, it can be anything at the end of a line to provide drag to accomplish the same ends.

4. What types of flares are found in lifeboats? handheld red flares and small red rockets

5. What 2 items are found attached to a lifevest? whistle and strobe light

6. What is a swell a vs a wave? swells are "wind waves", slower, flatter and further apart. waves are taller and closer together

Harder:

1. What is the *BELLBOOK*? ship's log... records ships movements

2 What is a magnetic compass? when the compass needle is pointing to north on a magnetic compass, what is it pointing to? a compass that interacts with the earth's magnetic field. when the needle is pointing north, it is pointing to the earth's magnetis north pole.

3. Related to a compass, what is deviation? and what is variation? deviation is an error caused by the surroundings (iron, steel etc). Variation is the difference between true north and magnetic north

4. What is the navigators *balls* (ok no, its not what some of you are thinking *G*) sun and stars
    or the iron spheres on either side of the binnacle (post) where the ship's compass is mounted. They are there to cancel out the effects of the ships outside magnetic fields that would affect the compass

5. We all know the Bermuda triangle..where are the 2 other areas of water near/in the US that is also known for many vessels sinking/missing? Not a clue...
    The only one I'm aware of would be the "Michigan Triangle", which refers to the middle of Lake Michigan. Not as many documented losses as the Bermuda, or Devil's, Triangle.

6. What is the difference between a criuse ship and a ocean liner? Ocean liners were built for speed and stability while offering comfort. They were for transportation not vacation. The hulls were taller and thicker and usually had a more promenant bow rake. Cruise ships are floating resorts and were built to entertain as the move the passengers from place to place.

DCL/Cruise line History :

1. What was the last steam powered side wheeler to operate on the hudson river? A. Hamilton (had to look it up)

2. Which sister ship to the titanic struck and sank what *lightship* in heavy fog? Nantucket
    The RMS Olympic, (the first of the three of her White Star Lines class) struck and sank the LV Nantucket, in the New York approach lanes, on May 15, 1934. It resulted in 7 of the 11 crew aboard the Nantucket perishing
    Oh, before you ask, the third was the Britannic (originally to be the Gigantic, but re-named after the Titanic sinking) which was requisitioned and converted to His Majesty's Hospital Ship (HMHS) Britannic in 1915, and never went into passenger service, as she sank after being torpedoed or striking a mine in November 1916 off the Greek island of Kea, and she remains there in 400 feet of water

3. What is the name of the oldest cruise ship operating now?,her name now and then? and what was she famous for? MS Marco Polo? Originally named MS Alexandr Pushkin. Quarantined in Scotland for Norovirus (had to look that up)

4. Who started NCL and Carnival lines? Ted Arison
    Read "Devils On The Deep Blue Sea by Kristoffer Garin for a fascinating account of this, and the modern-era "cruise" industry

5. Why is the design and decor of the DCL ships known as classic? DCL ships are the only ships built with more than 1 funnel in the last 50+ years. They also feature the black hull/white superstructure color scheme like the great ocean liners all had. Most modern cruise ships feature a white on white paint scheme. They also have art deco/art nouveau interiors and lack the 5 deck high atriums that the modern cruisers have. The 3 deck tall lobby is a more intimate space.

Enjoy!

AKK

7. Bear3412

Bear3412 DIS Veteran

OBX , NC
    Cape Cod , MA ?

8. Tonka's Skipper

9. Tonka's Skipper

Here We go.............

1. You see a vessel with 3 flags flying, 3 high. The top and bottom is a white flag with a Blue square within the white field and the middle flag has a diagonal line. top left to bottom right, with red on the upper part and yellow in the bottom part. What is that vessel asking for?

2. What is the Disney legend regarding how the Classic vessels were named?

3. What is the Disney legend on how the Black/blue hull paint color mix came about?

4. On what Ship did Walt and his family take across the atlantic, when on vacation in Europe?

5. Where is the Steering engine room?

6. What type of charts does DCL vessel use?

7. Is the berth that the DCL vessels tie up to in PC, a dock or a Pier?

8. What is the material that the mooring lines of the DCL vessels are made of?

9. What type of weave is used on the DCL vessels mooring lines?

10. Where are the Garboard strakes? (or on Steel ships, Garboard plates?)

11. What type of Merchant dry cargo vessels made in WWII had the problem of breaking in two, while as sea and even while tied to a dock?

12. You are on the bow departing PC, what would you hope to see swimming in the water to bring luck to the voyage?

13. WDW...How many steam powered side wheeler did bay lake and the 7 seas lagoon have?

14. What type of fuel does the DCL vessels run on at sea?

15. What does the term *skool to the Captians cat * mean?

Have at it Captains and mates!

AKK

10. extechie rbd/wdt

extechie rbd/wdt DIS Veteran

That's my guess's in red.

Ex Techie :)

11. Tonka's Skipper

Gee Seems everyone is stumpped?....AKK

12. truck1

truck1 Growing older but not up.

1. You see a vessel with 3 flags flying, 3 high. The top and bottom is a white flag with a Blue square within the white field and the middle flag has a diagonal line. top left to bottom right, with red on the upper part and yellow in the bottom part. What is that vessel asking for?

Pilot. About to sail.

3. What is the Disney legend on how the Black/blue hull paint color mix came about?
    Depends on who you ask. One of the versions is that the general color scheme was too close to another line, so the colors were varied so as to not infringe on the other line. I think its Holland Amaerica that would have had the issue.

4. On what Ship did Walt and his family take across the atlantic, when on vacation in Europe?
    The Rex.

Usually aft of the engine rooms, over or near the rudders.

Paper and electronic. Theres actually a clear acetate sheet that goes over the master printed chart, and they qm uses that to record the ships track. The elctronic is the primary and the paper required by law as back up.

Pier. docks float mostly.

Dacron or Nylon

splice

the strakes directly next to the keel of a ship.

11. What type of Merchant dry cargo vessels made in WWII had the problem of breaking in two, while as sea and even while tied to a dock?

Kaiser Liberty ships

12. You are on the bow departing PC, what would you hope to see swimming in the water to bring luck to the voyage?

dolpins or manatees

13. WDW...How many steam powered side wheeler did bay lake and the 7 seas lagoon have?

1 The Seven Seas.

13. maria-fan-22

maria-fan-22 DIS Veteran

MY ANSWERS IN RED

Pilot.

Good names to make clever advertising phrases?

The execs were looking for a better looking black to not match Holland and to not seem so sinister and a lady named Monica came tom work in a dress that was a "midnight blue" 85% Black and 15% blue and the execs likes the color and used it.

The Rex? The Mauritania was his Honeymoon Cruise I believe.

On deck A. aka -1

Electronic and paper to make sure the electronic ones are functioning correctly.

Pier.

Nylon

?

On either side of the Keel.

?

Dolphins

One

Heavy Marine Diesel

?

14. Tonka's Skipper

Thanks for your answers.I'll set up somemore Friday

AKK

15. extechie rbd/wdt

Just wan't to say thanks to Skipper and the other's that have contributed to this and the other thread!
    Really enjoy the trivia and questions, and appreciate the time taken to think them up and submit them! :thumbsup2:goodvibes

16. Florida Dreamin'

Florida Dreamin' Mouseketeer

Didn't post my answers because I only knew a few, so stumped me on a lot. Thanks for the thread Skipper! :)

17. truck1

Dont let that stop you. Even if you only know 1, go ahead and post it.

18. extechie rbd/wdt

:thumbsup2

I have no maritime knowledge apart from what I was taught on the Magic as a tech, and the little I remember now! lol!

Have a go Florida Dreamin'!

19. truck1

Enjoy:

DCL related.
    1. The Magic and Wonder are both of the same class. Most know that the bow (front or pointy end as my wife would say) was built in 1 yard, and the stern (back or round end) in another about 100 miles away. Where is the seam on the Magic?
    2. The Wonder has a seam in the same place. Whats the difference?
    3. What is different about the design process of the Magic Class, vs the Dream Class?
    4. What other cartoon characters, took over the Big Red boat, after the Disney contract expired?
    5. What happened to Premier Cruises?
    6. What can DCL do, that no other ship to date, has been able to do?
    7. While strolling the decks of the ships, you notice large rings, with some rope and a strobe light attached. The letters EPRIB are seen on it. What does EPIRB stand for and what does it do?
    8. What happens when it gets wet with water?
    9. Who cares what happens to it, and what will they do with it?

Non DCL
    1. On a paper chart, there are at least 5 different colors. Name 3.
    2. On the same chart, there are squiggly lines. What are they?
    3. On the same chart, there are numbers in a white field. What do they represent?
    4. What is Dead reckoning?
    5. While onboard a ship, you look to one side and see a large green cylinder floating in the water, with a red stripe in the middle. What is it and what does the colors represent.
    6. Farther along, you see a similar object, though this time, its red with a conical top. What is it and what are the Names of it.(Theres at least 2)
    7. Why is it important that a ship, that comes and goes from the same port, take on a pilot?
    8. Who cares for these floating objects?

20. extechie rbd/wdt

My answer's in red

21. Silverfox97

Silverfox97 PLATINUM Castaway Club

OK truck1 - I am going to take a stab at some :goodvibes