Nassau Chocolate Tour

Skatetigger

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone,

Has anyone participated in the Graycliff chocolate tour offered in Nassau. Would love any feedback you may have.

Thanks in advance

Yes, my dh and ds did this (our daughter was too young so I stayed with her on the boat) but they loved it! They said it was fun and a nice break from our typical beach excursions. You get to make different chocolate and learn about the chocolate making process/factory. They brought back quite a bit that they made. You can pick what you want to add in it, if anything, like marshmellows, etc. They would recommend it.

Thanks for the response, do you happen to know about how long the tour was and when they got back to the boat?

We did it last year, and it was great! The hostess (Kiki?) was a delight, she was really outgoing and fun. Not much of a factory, so not much of a "tour," but we did see where they mix and make the chocolate. Then most of the time was in a lab making our own chocolate candies, and a LOT of them. We took a bunch back to the ship with us.

We had a little time to look around the restaurant (nice setting, not as good as the MDRs, but a tropical setting), and the route the bus took back to the ship was a longer one than direct allowing us to see a lot of sights.

We had the 10:45 time, so ate a good breakfast, and were back on board about 2, so we were just getting hungry for lunch. Not starved, since we had been eating chocolate during those hours!

It is really a rather small place. You walk in and get a cover on your head and clothes. The take you in a room where they pretty much just tell you how they make the chocolate. the two times we have been there only one employee was mixing chocolate. Then they take you to a classroom with long tables and some chairs. In front of each chair there is a chocolate bar mold that holds two regular size candy bars. The also have a plate with little cups of nuts, raisins, grnaola, and marshmellow. They come and put the chocolate in a cup for you and you can pour into the molds and you place the extras on. There is enough chocolate that you can make little round chococate candies and place the remaining extras on. They give you a nice commemorative box to take home with you. You can get back on board with the chocolate the way they package it. I would guess the entire trip to and from was about 2-2.5 hours.

We have this booked for April and the site says the excursion is three hours long. We were given choices of 10:45 and 1:45. I've also read nothing but good things about it. Fingers crossed!

the chocolate is not the best in the world, but it's cool you get to make it. You clean the castings for the candy bars so take your time cleaning them, otherwise the impressions may not be the best. Pretty fun, even for us middle aged kids.

Really enjoyed this tour, everyone on the tour seemed to enjoy it. The process is easy enough that even kids can do it and have fun. Pay attention during the tour as we had trivia questions at the end for more free chocolates.

Looks like we are in the minority... we found it to be boring, hot and uninformative. Yes, the chocolate was tasty, but the spiel was underwhelming, we learned nothing new (and we are not chocolate tour regulars! LOL! We have been to Hershey once!) and the bus ride was a bit uncomfortable. We had paid for our ds6 to join us, but he opted to stay in the kids' club and boy were we glad as he would have been miserable (although his fare was non-refundable and when they had the extra cup of chocolate and toppings set up and we said that we had left one paid guest on the ship, she laughed and gave the extras to another family, despite us asking if we could make his box of chocs)... it was just talk, talk, talk... really nothing to see except a historic floor tile (I kid you not). It was not worth the cost for maybe two hours and a hair net.

Kiki is adorable and fabulous and cute. :)

I recommend leaving room in your budget to buy the chocolates they make. SO good. (the ones molded by the normal people...not as tasty)

They give you a nice commemorative box to take home with you.

The box is like a huge wooden cigar box. Leave room in your luggage to take it home if you like it. Only DS took his off the ship; it was not to my or DH's taste, and they just seemed so heavy.

If you dip pineapple in chocolate, eat that one that day. The acids in the pineapple start to cause it to leak, and that's kinda gross in the keepsake box.

Saw the most recent post. If you've been to Hershey or another huge American factory, I can see why this would be underwhelming. There are no vast vats of chocolate. It's small, it's YES in an historic building that does have a floor from the 1800s (seriously, that's hard to find in the States, so it's kind of neat), and it's all handmade.

It's too bad that you didn't just take the stuff set out for your son, and it's weird that the other family took it when you were talking about it out loud so the guide (I assume Kiki) could hear.

If you had told Guest Services back on the ship about that part of the experience, it's possible they could have helped at that time.

We went in 2013 and while it was a bit spendy, I thought it was a fun and informative "tour". Yes, the place is quite small so you're not really touring as much as you are learning about chocolate making and how they get the sheen on their chocolates. Kiki was very friendly and we enjoyed our chocolates to nibble on. Due to the heat though we had to head back to the ship first to drop the chocolates off and then go back to shop the straw market :)

Kiki is adorable and fabulous and cute. :)

Saw the most recent post. If you've been to Hershey or another huge American factory, I can see why this would be underwhelming. There are no vast vats of chocolate. It's small, it's YES in an historic building that does have a floor from the 1800s (seriously, that's hard to find in the States, so it's kind of neat), and it's all handmade.

It's too bad that you didn't just take the stuff set out for your son, and it's weird that the other family took it when you were talking about it out loud so the guide (I assume Kiki) could hear.

If you had told Guest Services back on the ship about that part of the experience, it's possible they could have helped at that time.

It wasn't that there were not vast vats, it was more that there was very little knowledge... yes, Kiki was personable, but she didn't really impart any unknown info on chocolate, etc... plus, the room was very full and tight, the people on our tour were not chatty at all, so it was awkward, and because the other family had the empty seat next to them, despite me politely piping up that we were the parents and payees of the empty seat, Kiki just instructed the people closest to help themselves... The highlight for a large group of our tour was getting the bus driver to drop them off at McDonalds! LOL!

Thanks everyone for your help and advice, sounds like fun and seriously you can't go wrong with chocolate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!