Mystery tunnel found in Toronto

I just saw in my FB newsfeed, police have closed their investigation. Two men came forward and admitted to building it for "personal reasons". The comments are pretty funny with people speculating on what the "personal reasons" were. I wonder if any other country in the world would have dropped it so easily. "Personal reasons"? Sounds legit...lol. Love Canada.

Probably doomsday preppers. Or maybe it was an art project.

I just saw in my FB newsfeed, police have closed their investigation. Two men came forward and admitted to building it for "personal reasons". The comments are pretty funny with people speculating on what the "personal reasons" were. I wonder if any other country in the world would have dropped it so easily. "Personal reasons"? Sounds legit...lol. Love Canada.

I wonder if the police DO know the personal reasons, but don't want to shame the people in public for something that they don't want in the open.

For example, perhaps it was intended to be a meeting place for a same-sex relationship, but neither man wants their family and friends to know.

Here is the article:
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/03/02/police-id-builders-of-mystery-tunnel-close-case.html

I was just watching tv and they were doing a promo for the news and they said police are calling it a "man cave"

Our local news stated two guys built it thinking the tunnel would be cool to hang out in. I'm not buying it.

Our local news stated two guys built it thinking the tunnel would be cool to hang out in. I'm not buying it.
I agree!

This reminds me of the book "Lovely Bones"... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lovely_Bones

I thought of the book as soon as I read the news story, but I could not remember its name. I attempted to google stories about women kept in under ground bunkers and had to give it up because it was a horrible search with WAY too many results.

Anyway, something is up with this "man cave"...

I wonder if the police DO know the personal reasons, but don't want to shame the people in public for something that they don't want in the open.

For example, perhaps it was intended to be a meeting place for a same-sex relationship, but neither man wants their family and friends to know.

Here is the article:
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/03/02/police-id-builders-of-mystery-tunnel-close-case.html
Pretty ridiculous - why couldn't they just "get a room"? And regardless of the reason, constructing a tunnel on public or private property (if it's not your own) is not legal - even in Canada. There's got to be more to this...:scratchin

From the linked article:

Police were able to identify two men in their 20s who “built the tunnel for personal reasons” and confirmed that there was never any “criminal intent nor any threat to the people or city of Toronto,” according to a statement.

Why does there have to be more to it?

Pretty ridiculous - why couldn't they just "get a room"? And regardless of the reason, constructing a tunnel on public or private property (if it's not your own) is not legal - even in Canada. There's got to be more to this...:scratchin

The police themselves are stating it isn't illegal to dig a hole.

The police clearly know what's going on, and don't think the public need to know. If it's not important for the public to know, it is their right not to release the information.

The police themselves are stating it isn't illegal to dig a hole.

The police clearly know what's going on, and don't think the public need to know. If it's not important for the public to know, it is their right not to release the information.
Too weird. I find it impossible to believe that this action is allowable and I certainly would be demanding an explanation if I had any stake in that property, even as a taxpayer :mad:. Whatever the agenda - you can bet that if a group of ambitious homeless people decided to start constructing themselves underground lodging in urban parks or on unused private land they would be shut down pretty quickly.

Too weird. I find it impossible to believe that this action is allowable and I certainly would be demanding an explanation if I had any stake in that property, even as a taxpayer :mad:. Whatever the agenda - you can bet that if a group of ambitious homeless people decided to start constructing themselves underground lodging in urban parks or on unused private land they would be shut down pretty quickly.

And from what I understand, this HAS been shut down. The entire tunnel/hole has been filled in. The moment the tunnel was found, I think everyone knew it would never be in use ever again. Just because you, the public, have not found out the REASON behind the tunnel does not mean that this has not been sufficiently dealt with. And as you live in Alberta and NOT Ontario, you are not paying tax on the lightly monitored plot of wooded land that this happened in.

As it stands, the police have clearly stated this tunnel was not built for criminal intent - ie., terrorism, drug trafficking, illegal entrance to the PanAm Games, etc.

If it was a couple of guys who were paranoid about a coming end of the world scenario, then that's not criminal, and indeed personal reasons, and I see no reason why the police would need to give the public that information if it could shame those who were creating such a bunker. Same could be said for any number of embarrassing personal reasons to make such a tunnel/bunker/hole in the ground.

The police have given us a sufficient amount of information to quell the ever popular "OMGZ TERRORISM!!!!" theory that seems to be the go-to answer to every suspicious activity that happens these days. To me, it's clear... these two guys have done something that's more embarrassing than illegal, and everyone but the public has come to an agreement about what happened and what the next course of action should be.

I'll never get to know what happened...

But then, I'll probably never get to know precisely why Tim Bosma was murdered (look at the calendar, it's been almost 2 years!), and to me... that's a lot more serious than a hole in the ground.

I think it's possible. We are the home of Red Green after all. There are definitely guys like that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter