MyMagic + Officially Announced

Discussion in 'The DIS Unplugged Podcast' started by ADP, Jan 7, 2013.

1. ADP

ADP <marquee><font color=red>I'm a huggin' fool</marqu

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. EastYorkDisneyFan

EastYorkDisneyFan DIS Veteran

I really hope they don't make everyone wear the wristband. I would much rather have a regular room card then the wristband.

Sent from my Samsung Galexy Ace using the DISBoards app

4. H20DogsNDisney

H20DogsNDisney DIS Veteran

I want to hear about it from people before I go on my next trip. Is this an extra add on to tickets will you be able to add it when you get to the parks if you don't buy before the trip.

5. Danibelle

Danibelle DIS Veteran

I would like to know if this is onsite customers only who buy a package or if it is for everyone. Many people stay offsite and/or are locals. Some information seems to be missing from this blog. :worried:

6. ShesAPirate

ShesAPirate DIS Veteran

Call me paranoid, but something about this doesn't sit right with me. I don't know why. I'm nowhere near a conspiracy theorist or someone who's constantly thinking 'Big Brother is watching', but... that was the first thought that came to my head when I read about this. Not that I have anything to hide. It just seems a little creepy to me.

7. roomthreeseventeen

roomthreeseventeen Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

I am also hoping for an opt-out, or our trips are about to become a lot less frequent.

8. PainInIL

PainInIL Earning My Ears

I've been hearing there is an opt-out option. However, when this is rolled out to all guests, expect regular stand-by lines to be much longer then you are used to. Also, expect there is be a lot fewer regular fast-passes available. Fast-pass+ will be given priority and then whatever isn't used will be made available that day to regular fast-passes.

I think for some people this will work out ok, but I really think this will change they way you experience a Disney trip. Just look what has happened to restaurant availability over the last 10 years for a glimpse into the future.

9. Danibelle

Danibelle DIS Veteran

There will little to no spontaneity if and when. If you want a popular attraction but can't plan out far enough, the stand by would be ridiculous. Who wants a 2 hr plus wait? I love WDW, but I think at some point, I would be booking an alternative (non Disney) location. And what kind of fast pass will they have for the parades? Will there even be a space for all of those last minute planners? Many questions to be answered.

10. hops&dreams

hops&dreams DIS Veteran

I was just thinking that - what about the people that take spontaneous trips. I just priced a trip for next month (probably not going to go - price was about $2k too high) but if this MyMagic+ was in effect - all those 180 day planners would have already taken the time slots.

I understand wanting to say "well, we'll be at MK on this day, and AK on this day, and while we're at MK, I want to be sure to ride Splash Mountain, and while at AK, I want to be sure to get onto Kali." But what if Splash is down that day? Or if it's too cold to get drenched by Kali? Do those people with those "time slots" get a raincheck?

Disney is making it harder to be spontaneous and just enjoy where you are. I understand wanting to get your money's worth, but realize that WDW is a 5-7 day vacation destination. If you attempt to cram it into 3-4 days, you're not going to have time to do everything. heck, I've been there 2x for 7 days & 10 days, and I STILL have a list of things I want to try!

It's not a competition to finish off your checklist people... it's a vacation! Take time to stop and smell the roses!

11. roomthreeseventeen

roomthreeseventeen Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

What happens if you have small children who don't understand schedules?

12. ShesAPirate

ShesAPirate DIS Veteran

AMEN! :thumbsup2 That's why I'm not a park commando! I want to enjoy my Disney World vacation, relax during some of it, and have many, many reasons to go again!

13. halld6479

halld6479 DIS Veteran

does this program operate using a smart phone? there really are people out in the world that do not have smart phones

14. PainInIL

PainInIL Earning My Ears

There will be kiosks in the park you can use. Disney will also make wi-fi smartphones available for rental. This is the reason they are trying to make free wi-fi available throughout the parks and resorts.

15. HippieChickadee

HippieChickadee Mouseketeer

I like the idea of a bracelet getting you into rooms and parks- but planning your RIDES months in advance...

really?

16. PainInIL

PainInIL Earning My Ears

People plan meals 6 months in advance today...

17. HippieChickadee

HippieChickadee Mouseketeer

And to myself I say...

First world problems...

18. sayhello

sayhello Have Camera, Will Travel

This just makes going to WDW less and less attractive. I tried once to do a trip where I set up all my meals as ADR's way ahead of time, and I tried to stick to it, but it sucked all the spontaneity out of the trip. I was at MK, the weather was GORGEOUS, the crowds were low, but I had an ADR at Epcot for lunch. I was at HS, feeling pretty done there, wanted to hop to another park, but I had an ADR at HS in a couple of hours. Stuff like that. I just hated it, and haven't done it since. But the bad part is, I then suffer when I try to get anything beyond quick service for a meal. (Try getting dinner during off season at HS without an ADR...) This sounds like it is just going to make it impossible to ride my favorite rides without waiting forever in standby.

19. PainInIL

PainInIL Earning My Ears

What this does for Disney is give them more predictability in their staffing and crowd levels. Frontier Land too crowded - give people instant fast passes to Space Mountain. It will allow them to dynamically drive traffic away from crowded areas of the park.

Disney isn't doing this to help travelers. They are doing it to help them better handle operations and try to get more money from each traveler. You don't invest $1.5 BILLION into something and expect no return.

20. WIDisneyFan

WIDisneyFan DIS Veteran

I agree 100%

21. tink_n_pooh

tink_n_pooh <font color=darkorchid>my TP isn't going anywhere.

I really like the idea of a wristband, especially now that I have a little one to keep my hands full, it is a lot easier than constantly reaching for my room key, annual pass, debit card, and fast passes.

I hope they leave enough room for spontaneity of regular fast passes and there is always the regular old stand by line.

If they make it so the wristband also links my dining reservations and things like that? Even better for me, less things to keep track of