My way too short solo adventure TR - Funny Airport update...

The apartment became very empty when you left. Miss you babe, glad you're having a blast!

*Mooo-wahh*

;) We had trouble finding the internet connection cord thingy, too. They brought us one, then we found it. Love the savannah pics. We have only stayed at Kidani. I am enjoying your TR very much. :goodvibes

This may seem weird but we do not have public transportation on the Gulf Coast where I am. So the bus rides are part of the fun for me.

That's actually very true - it's likely he'll have never ridden a bus before so he may find it fun!! Good Tip! I actually don't mind Disney Transporation myself...there is something about being at Disney that makes even standing on a crowded bus with my feet throbbing from walking 15 miles through the day seem OK.

Check up in the top cupboard for the utensils; if you don't find them (plastic), call mousekeeping. I've stayed in 4 different studios last fall and they were all in different places, with different amounts of the plates/bowls/utensils. No consistency. (Very short stays, just checking out different resorts).

Thanks! Although I got all excited when I read this and went over to check the cupboard...no dice. Oh well, I guess I have to buy breakfast instead of making oatmeal in my room this morning...darn.

The apartment became very empty when you left. Miss you babe, glad you're having a blast!

*Mooo-wahh*

I miss you too - and wish you were here! The only thing that would make this experience better is to be able to share it!

Although I don't know if you'd really appreciate how much time I spent on the computer writing this darn trip report...lol

Note to self - bring coffee, coffee filters, and cheap utensils to put in owner's locker...also invest in cream and sugar for said coffee on Day 1...going right now to sit on my patio and imagine that these animals are pets in my fancy menagerie while I drink what may very well be the worst cup of coffee in the world.

Good news - these beds are FREAKING comfy! But I need more points cause I'm not sure I'd want to share it...it's not very large! Sigh oh well - guess I need to get on that add-on so we can always stay in 1 bdrms! That was my goal eventually anyways...

Off to Grand Floridian (Franc's) to meet my wedding planner :) YAY!!

More on my adventures later....for now I have to choke back this coffee...

Kelly you are absolutely and positvely the craziest person I know...also the most lovable and cute. Great trip report. I missed my run with A last night...am going to go tomorrow though. Love Tan

Sooo jealous that you are at Disney and especially that you are at AKV! I really want to stay there but couldn't get past the convenience of walking downstairs to get married at the Yacht Club.

Well - today was one of the single best days of my life...no joke. Disney is just, well....good at stuff. This includes wedding planning! I was treated like a real princess today, and it was pretty darn cool. I'll try to keep this trip report on the topic of "the trip in general" and not go totally into all the details of the wedding plans - feel free to check out my planning journal if you are curious to hear all of the stuff that went on in that regards today.

Hopefully this doesn't offend anyone, as it's not like I don't like AKV - my feelings of awe are still there just like they were yesterday...however I really really don't love the transportation here! At all. I know it's normal at Deluxe resorts not to have a queue line for the busses but today was brutal - I was at the bus stop for MK at 7:36 for my planning session at 9 at Grand Floridian thinking I'd have time to get a coffee and stuff over there before I had my appointment. There was a MOB of people waiting for the MK bus (it must have been EMH). And it was not an orderly mob...people pushing to the front, etc....2 busses came while I waited and they were both packed from Kidani....like literally so full that by the time they got to Jambo there were already people standing...it was pretty much a bummer.

So being the logical person that I am, instead of getting irate I decided to hop on the EPCOT bus and take the monorail over to TTC and then to GF. Which worked....but holy, it was not a great experience! I got to GF basically at 8:45, with just enough time enough to walk over to Francs for the Planning Session.

I learned something I DO love about DVC today though....I actually think BWV may be my favorite DVC resort (although I love my home resort the extra points required to stay there hurt too much non a small contract)!

I spent the afternoon in the BW area and although I have spent lots of time there over the years eating and just hanging out, I had never looked at it from a "this is a resort which I will be staying at...ever" point of view (I used to be against the whole concept of DVC - back in the day when I didn't know what I was talking about). I LOVE the lobby area...again no matter how many times I have seen it in pictures nothing prepared me for seeing it in person...it's awe inspiring. Plus I think it will certainly hold a special place in my heart because we're getting married and having our brunch reception there too.

So today I decided that I think that's where I'd like to take the step son for his first Disney Trip ever (August 2011)....I think it's a rockin' place to take a 6 year old...the pool is CRAZY amazing, and it's light and airy and fun....plus it's easy to get to EPCOT and DHS! I went and toured the model home over there and now I'm pretty excited that's where we're staying for the wedding trip.

So I had my buffet tasting and now am super full...so not sure I'm going to feel like doing much tonight - I may just hang out at the pool for a while, then eat something around here and just chill out and save all my energies for my big day at MK tomorrow!!!

Again - thanks for reading (and I now have pretty much inspired my whole family to post on the DIS at some point now!!).

Note to self - bring coffee, coffee filters, and cheap utensils to put in owner's locker...also invest in cream and sugar for said coffee on Day 1...going right now to sit on my patio and imagine that these animals are pets in my fancy menagerie while I drink what may very well be the worst cup of coffee in the world.

Good news - these beds are FREAKING comfy! But I need more points cause I'm not sure I'd want to share it...it's not very large! Sigh oh well - guess I ned to get on that add-on so we can always stay in 1 bdrms! That wasa my goal eventually anyways...

Off to Grand Floridian (Franc's) to meet my wedding planner :) YAY!!

More on my adventures later....for now I have to choke back this coffee...

Loving this trip report. :)

You are so right about the coffee... it is the WORST!!! I have learned to always bring my own.

I'm so glad you are liking "my" BWV. It's my favorite for all the reasons you stated. Your stepson will love all the activities on the boardwalk at night. And your wedding guests will enjoy everything about the venue, I'm sure.

I don't belong to DVC (yet!), but we did rent points once and stayed at BWV during December, so it was all decorated for Christmas. It was beyond lovely. My twin boys were 4 at the time and we rented a studio. At least one or two days when we were there, it was warm enough to swim (the other days we were wearing hats and mittens:confused:), but my sons LOVED, LOVED the pool.

We have stayed at a number of WDW resorts, but my one son always brings up Boardwalk as his absolute favorite. You will not be disappointed when you stay there.

Sounds like your having a great time and Disney certainly knows how to plan stuff. I am not sure you'll understand what I am about to say but .... after staying at several DVC resorts (OKW, SSR, WLV, BLT, and AKL) we thought the buses were actually great at AKV (not sure about the crazies you met this morning). SSR and OKW have 4 internal stops before they head out to parks, WLV shares buses with FW, GF, CR and Poly and can stop 3 times before you get to a park. I just spent a week at BLT and walked to MK which was fantastic, took the monorail to EP but HS and AK are shared with 3 other deluxe resorts. I actually thought it was ridiculous and noted it on my survey. We actually stayed at Kidani so we were the first stop but I thought that AKV bus trips were actually the shortest to the parks since we only stopped at Jambo on the way out and then straight to the park. I am trying to discourage your first stay at BWV with your stepson, I just thought you should get the full picture of the bus situation at other resorts before you reach your conclusion about AKV. Just my 2¢. Have fun at the MK tomorrow and don't miss Mickey's Philharmagic or Pirates.

Sounds like your having a great time and Disney certainly knows how to plan stuff. I am not sure you'll understand what I am about to say but .... after staying at several DVC resorts (OKW, SSR, WLV, BLT, and AKL) we thought the buses were actually great at AKV (not sure about the crazies you met this morning). SSR and OKW have 4 internal stops before they head out to parks, WLV shares buses with FW, GF, CR and Poly and can stop 3 times before you get to a park. I just spent a week at BLT and walked to MK which was fantastic, took the monorail to EP but HS and AK are shared with 3 other deluxe resorts. I actually thought it was ridiculous and noted it on my survey. We actually stayed at Kidani so we were the first stop but I thought that AKV bus trips were actually the shortest to the parks since we only stopped at Jambo on the way out and then straight to the park. I am trying to discourage your first stay at BWV with your stepson, I just thought you should get the full picture of the bus situation at other resorts before you reach your conclusion about AKV. Just my 2¢. Have fun at the MK tomorrow and don't miss Mickey's Philharmagic or Pirates.

Thanks for the details, it's good to know! I think that last night's complaint about feeling like it took forever to get to DTD was mainly because I was over-tired AND DTD always seems far from everything! When I got up this morning I chuckled because I remember when we'd stay at POP I used to say the same thing - it's like DTD is on the edge of the world compared to the resorts (except OKW and SS obviously)...

Today I just got a bit paranoid and frustrated that if the buses always stop at Kidani first, how the heck does Jambo ever get to parks?? It was truly crazy...I'm not sure how long people waited - I gave up after bus #2.

I had heard previously that the bus service for pretty much all DVC Resorts is not the best in the world - I think if there are 2 things that I will have a hard time adjusting to since my POP Century days it's (and that's a huge IF):
1. The are smaller food courts
2. Shared bus service

Again I hope this doesn't seem like I'm not having a fantastic time....and I'm certainly not one of these people who sits and gripes about this stuff (well right now I'd be complaining to myself as no one else is here :rotfl:) or threatens to boycott DVC because of it...like I said in my first post here, this trip has reassured me that DVC is the right move for me! I really have had a far different experience than my POP Century days...for only being here for a few days this has been the most comfortable stay ever!

Today I just got a bit paranoid and frustrated that if the buses always stop at Kidani first, how the heck does Jambo ever get to parks?? It was truly crazy...I'm not sure how long people waited - I gave up after bus #2.

Maybe the lesson from this story is to stay at Kidani next time.:rotfl: Actually we got a seat on the bus every time that way and we did like the peace and quiet of Kidani since it wasn't physically part of the actual hotel. Anytime we wanted to go to the Lodge for dinner at Boma or Mara, we hopped on the first park bus that came and were there in seconds. Really enjoying your report. Please tell us about the new MK fireworks after you get back tomorrow night.

So I decided to go for a swim after complaining that I felt really full from the buffet tasting today. And lo and behold...the same thing happened that happens every time I swim...I got hungry!

So I came back to the room, gazed at my pet Giraffe (I call him Pete - he looks like a Pete) for a while, and then gave in to the hunger pangs...I wasn't extremely hungry, just enough to know I wouldn't make it till bedtime.

So I went down to check out the scene at Jiko and Boma - leaning towards Jiko to just get a couple of appetizers or something...Boma was INSANO - there were about 20 people all standing around the entrance with their pagers all looking very hungry and pacing around and looking grumpy...not my scene. Also I didn't feel like eating myself half to death, which happens everytime I go near a buffet.

So over to Jiko I go - it's beautiful in there by the way. The girl tells me she's going to put my name down for The Cooking Place (which I think is like bar seating except with a view of the kitchen - pretty sweet) but she tells me with a very straight face "It could be 15 minutes, it could be an hour and a half or so...we never can tell"...so I went out to enjoy a Lava Smoothie by the pool with my pager. About 25 minutes goes by and I caved...went in and returned my pager and decided to go check out the Mara (CS).

Well...if there is one thing that I love about the value resorts (Yes I am one of those that don't think they are totally evil) it's the selection in the food courts! The Mara had like, 7 things to choose from, none of which were cutting it by now....and by now my hunger was more extreme, so I called the front desk from the hall phone, and asked them to check at Sanaa to see how long I would wait there...10 minutes! YAY...

So I head on over to Kidani for the second time in 2 days (meanwhile had I waited I would have likely been at Jiko by this time - I realized this by the time I was halfway to Sanaa). But I liked Sanaa so it was worth another try.

I had the slow cooked meats with Basmati Rice. You get your choice of 2, I picked the Beef Short Ribs and Red Curry Chicken. Both were delicious, and now I am too stuffed to go to bed, and it's kind of chilly by Florida standards so I can't go swim to make myself less full...I am hoping the frantic typing will serve the same purpose!

DSC02418.JPG

Sanaa is amazing by the way - it's right on the Savannah and i got to watch Giraffes (not Pete but maybe a distant relative...he looked like he could be Pete's cousin) play with zebras (and by "play with" I mean co-inhabit the same space but generaly ignore each other). But seriously - it's well themed, wonderfully decorated, comfortable, and the staff are great. Although I will say that it's weird in an "Indian/African" restaurant to be served by a guy named Steve who has a total deep south twang. I mean, I loved him AND his accent, but hearing him explain the authenticity of the spice blend in my red curry chicken was almost hilarious...

Off to bed to get ready for my big rope drop at MK tomorrow! I think I'm going to try to get over to Captain Cookes at Poly for Tongo Toast for breakfast...yum!

Oh and I forgot to share the exciting thing that happened last night after sign off...I thought it was a big ol' lightning storm and went out to check to be sure Pete wasn't scared...but it was the MK fireworks - I can actually see the entire top 1/4 of them from my deck...it was pretty awesome - and should be happening again in approximately 8 minutes - so maybe I'll stay up just a tiny bit longer...

And I'll leave you this evening with the song that's been playing in my head all evening....

Look at this stuff, isn't it neat, wouldn't you think my collections complete...wouldn't you think I'm the girl, girl who has....everything.......

Maybe the lesson from this story is to stay at Kidani next time.:rotfl: Actually we got a seat on the bus every time that way and we did like the peace and quiet of Kidani since it wasn't physically part of the actual hotel. Anytime we wanted to go to the Lodge for dinner at Boma or Mara, we hopped on the first park bus that came and were there in seconds. Really enjoying your report. Please tell us about the new MK fireworks after you get back tomorrow night.

LOL - well the unfortunate part about this suggestion is that I booked a room for my honeymoon before I learned this valuable lesson and booked Jambo for the proximity to the food court...I will know better next time! And like I said - I'm pretty easygoing so it's really not a huge deal...worst case scenario I miss a couple of rope drops.

Full report of both the Main Street Electrical Parade and my much more up close view of the new MK fireworks coming before sign off tomorrow night, I promise!

I really have had a far different experience than my POP Century days...for only being here for a few days this has been the most comfortable stay ever!

Isn't it great....however we did sneak back over to Pop on our first DVC trip so DH could get a Reuben flatbread. It was nice staying at Pop but fantastic staying at AKV.

Love your report, staying at BLT in mid Dec cannot wait, AKV is a must stay for us and we were really tossed for the Dec trip but location won out this trip since we are only there for 5 nights and want to see as much holiday decorations and festivities as possible.

Kelly, Glad you are having a great time. I to love the Tonga Toast at Capt Cooks. We usually go there for breakfast everyday.:cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter