My Ultimate Disney Scrapbook

WdwforLife

Mouseketeer
So, like many of you, I have been to Disney many a time. And I wanted to immortalize all of those trips in one huge, awesome, amazing scrapbook that I can add trips to for years to come. Maybe my kids and my kids' kinds can use it.

For a year I've had my eye of THIS one:

http://www.centuryphoto.com/giant-scrapbook-album/big-book-scrapbook-pages/

Unfortunately this item has been on "backorder" for more than a year. I ordered twice and had to request a refund twice. The second time (recently) they actually wouldn't give me a refund. They said they could issue a "refund check" within 4-6 weeks! Um, against the law much? After doing some research, the BBB has pretty much condoned this website. They've gotten over 300 customer complaints over the last two years. They take your money, don't ship out your item and then give you the run-a-round when you ask for a refund. Now this WOULD be the ideal book. It's big, it's classic looking. It would do the job great.

I found another one on a UK website that has one the same size but with shipping the price would be astronomical. Plus I have no idea how I'd pay anyway. They don't accept online payment.

I guess my first question is do you know where I can find a find a giant scrapbook? Like HUGE. Bigger than 12x12. I figure you guys are the scrapbook experts maybe you can help me out! Much thanks ahead of time. :)

Creative Memories has a 12x15 album. I'm sure you would prefer something larger but if you can't find anything else at least this would be an option.

Martha Stewart used to sell an 18x18 album at Michael's, maybe you can find one on ebay.

Actually I was in a bit of an awkward position because I had already created the first page of the scrapbook based on the size of the book I wasn't able to get. However after scouring the interewebs, I was able to find a book suitable for my needs, almost exactly the same size.

You can see it here.

I don't much like the rings but beggars can't be choosers. It took me a while to find this as it is.

So, since I'm looking at this scrapbook as an investment in the future, I'm really going to try to make it just the best it can be. That's why I purchased an electronic paper cutter off of Amazon.com.

Info can be found here.

I want to make this a book I can really be proud of and the artist in me will stop at nothing to personalize it like there's no tomorrow. I've also collected countless little things from over the years to make it really unique. I've been keeping them in my custom made Mickey memories box!

Now I've already created the first page of the book:

Now the left is the original design the right is the actual constructed page, painstakingly crafted over the course of more than a month. I can't put the text in until I receive my cutter. And while I wait for the cutter and the scrapbook, I've been designing the book in Adobe Illustrator.

The cover. My friend suggested keeping it simple; very simple. I thought that was a good idea. It's classy. A simple "D" implies a whole lot. Less is more.

I wanted the inside cover to be a tribute to the man himself. I went through a lot of ideas but after a whole night of brainstorming, Family Guy reruns and about 15 bathroom breaks (I drink a lot of water) I came up with this design. I think it works well. I'm sort of debating adding Sleeping Beauty Castle to the left.

I have 15 months until my next Disney vacation and I'm hoping this keeps me mostly busy and sane until then.

More updates definitely to come!

Okay, so after more than a year of being away from this post and working on the scrapbook in my spare time, I have been able to make a lot of awesome progress.

This is the first year I went: 1989. I initially did this page without any real theme. I just kind of winged it but after it was entirely completed, I hated it. I wanted each page to have a specific theme. So I threw it all away and started over. In this case, I decided to go with the roadsigns on the Disney property. For some reason they resonate with me. I was able to powerhouse this out in a couple of days with nonstop work and when I was finished, I was glad I started over. Just goes to show you that if you're not entirely happy, do it right or it will always bother you.

And a closer look at both pages:

There's a lot more still to see. I finally have time to update everything and share. I'm really trying to make this scrapbook something special, ya know, in case I have kids I'd like to pass it onto them. More updates later!

Great start! Can't wait to see more.
I agree that if you don't like it, the page will most likely bother you for forever.

Next up is 1990. This one took an extremely long time to do. It was all very intricate. I "borrowed" the colors of Disney/hats idea from a post I found in Pinterest. I was able to recreate the hats rather faithfully. The pictures of the castle I had to photoshop myself.

Now the threading around the pictures, that took a couple of nights by itself. I had to thread each color separately, skipping the amount of spaces in between for the rest of the spectrum. It wasn't hard at all, just tedious. In order to get the spacing exact, I first laid out a dotted line in Illustrator, printed it out, laid it over the page and poked all the holes first and then I threaded.

Since this was the only year I went to Epcot when it was still EPCOT Center, I felt the need to pay tribute to that. I have still have yet to decide what to fill the bottom of the second page with. But for now, I am quite satisfied with the way this one turned out.

Next up is 1990. This one took an extremely long time to do. It was all very intricate. I "borrowed" the colors of Disney/hats idea from a post I found in Pinterest. I was able to recreate the hats rather faithfully. The pictures of the castle I had to photoshop myself.

Now the threading around the pictures, that took a couple of nights by itself. I had to thread each color separately, skipping the amount of spaces in between for the rest of the spectrum. It wasn't hard at all, just tedious. In order to get the spacing exact, I first laid out a dotted line in Illustrator, printed it out, laid it over the page and poked all the holes first and then I threaded.

Since this was the only year I went to Epcot when it was still EPCOT Center, I felt the need to pay tribute to that. I have still have yet to decide what to fill the bottom of the second page with. But for now, I am quite satisfied with the way this one turned out.

Love what you have posted so far. Would you mind sharing the files for all the disney symbols.

Okay so 1999 was a but of a rush job. I just wanted a design and layout that could easily be modified but still retain the same theme. I'm not completely happy with it. But I like the homage it pays to the big three. The Mickey and Donald pages aren't completely finished. I am leaving them open until I come up with some really good filler. I am also open to suggestions!

img2965h.jpg

img2966s.jpg

img2967j.jpg

This page I take great pride in! The design and idea just came to me very naturally. The paper is the fancy kind of paper that's like $5 a sheet; that sort of pressed papyrus. I get it at Blick. They're an amazing art store. Anyway, I just wanted to pay tribute to Magic Kingdom. I opted to leave out Toontown to reflect the new MK. I was never much a huge fan of Toontown anyway. I liked it and I enjoyed Mickey's house but, I'm much more of a fan of the New Fantasyland.

img2968m.jpg

This design came naturally to me as well. I was at work one day and the idea just popped into my head! I have always been a huge fan of the Haunted Mansion. It's old school Disney and it has remained timeless for fifty years! This one took A LOT of work. I used Shag's designs for the entire layout because I think he captured the spirit of THM extremely well in a simple. But creating the designs was a LONG and tedious process. But it paid off extremely well.

Now if you look closely at the first page, you'll see a small rectangular box. That, my friends, is an MP3 sound module that I put authentic HM music and dialogue on. It is really the crown jewel of this layout! I got it off of eBay. It's extremely easy to put music on. The box itself I made myself with paper, hot glue and a hole puncher. Let me know if you'd like more details.

img2969w.jpg

img2970b.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter