My Trip to the 2011 D23 Expo - TR Complete!

Great update! The Peter Pan ride vehicle actually went for less than the one in 2009. As for the HitchHiking Ghosts I wouldn't be surprised if it was Guillermo del Toro who purchased them as he bought the Hatbox Ghost at the 2009 expo. He has a whole house filled with Haunted Mansion items and I am looking forward to seeing the Haunted Mansion movie he is working on.

:faint:

:scared1:

More dollars than sense! :confused3

:rotfl2:

Great update! The Peter Pan ride vehicle actually went for less than the one in 2009. As for the HitchHiking Ghosts I wouldn't be surprised if it was Guillermo del Toro who purchased them as he bought the Hatbox Ghost at the 2009 expo. He has a whole house filled with Haunted Mansion items and I am looking forward to seeing the Haunted Mansion movie he is working on.

How much did the one in 2009 go for? :eek:

I couldn't really see the bidder who won the ghosts, but I googled Guillermo del Toro, not sure if it was him. I think it was an older gentleman. He was not the jumping man, but that guy looked vaguely familiar and could have been an actor/hollywood type.

One gal who had parked her scooter near us that we were talking to after the show said that there were a lot of Disney execs in that hall bidding on things. I only recognize the more prominent Imagineers that you see on behind the scenes TV shows and stuff, so I wouldn't know if someone famous was sitting next to me! :lmao:

I would love to have the Peter Pan air ship --just to have it-- but what the heck would I ever do with it? I agree peter pan air ship V newer car -- hummmmmmm ok I am still thinking---- of course I would pick the car. But dang was just thinking I could run a wire with a pulley system and ride the ship around my back yard. Could you imagine. Then I would need other Disney ride items -- oh when does it end ---.

Seriously if I had 30k to burn-- I know a food kitchen that could feed a lot of people with extra 30k. I am sure the bidders donate to charities to.

I think I will just take a picture of a few of the attraction ride "cars" -- blow those up huge and pretend they are the real thing.

I enjoyed reading about the bidding. I wonder why the employees have to bid on items. I would think they would get first right to get an item if it became available. I wish they would have a drawing for items like the air boat. Sell X number of tickets to = say 50k then draw my number.

I read you guys are going back -- my gosh I need to have your travel schedule. How on earth do you do it? How do you transport both EVC to DL? We have a boom type lift that I can put husbands EVC in back of van but I can still only hold one at time.

Your tray system looks like something husband could use. I am thinking maybe the medical supply store may have something I can hook right to the EVC., that might swing away when not in use and fight flat to side. He mainly uses the chair type EVC now. He can still transfer to the 4 wheel "cart" it is much bigger but a tray would work nice on that one to.

I love reading your Napa Rose reviews also -- so hoping you have that planned for your next trip.

Wave -- enjoying the TR

^THIS! :lmao: Craziness for sure.

I know! Totally!

I read you guys are going back -- my gosh I need to have your travel schedule. How on earth do you do it? How do you transport both EVC to DL? We have a boom type lift that I can put husbands EVC in back of van but I can still only hold one at time.

Your tray system looks like something husband could use. I am thinking maybe the medical supply store may have something I can hook right to the EVC., that might swing away when not in use and fight flat to side. He mainly uses the chair type EVC now. He can still transfer to the 4 wheel "cart" it is much bigger but a tray would work nice on that one to.

I love reading your Napa Rose reviews also -- so hoping you have that planned for your next trip.

Wave -- enjoying the TR

We actually have 3-4 ECVs and all but one are the portable kind that you can disassemble into parts and transport in the back of the car. I've gotten pretty fast at it now. No one piece weighs over 25 lbs, and they are very simple to put together. There might be a tray system designed for the chairs, but we just made our little tables out of stuff from Home Depot. It was pretty easy.

Thanks for the nice words about the NR reviews....stick it out here and I may have an additional surprise! :rolleyes1

:rotfl2:

How much did the one in 2009 go for? :eek: $35,000

I couldn't really see the bidder who won the ghosts, but I googled Guillermo del Toro, not sure if it was him. I think it was an older gentleman. He was not the jumping man, but that guy looked vaguely familiar and could have been an actor/hollywood type.

He probably had someone there bidding for him. I was bidding on the Hat Box Ghost and finally let his rep have it for $9,300. I would have liked to have it but keeping the money in my pocket was a much better choice. I have seen pictures of Hattie in del Toro's house and he went to a good place.

I do love surprises :).

You know I am not sure if husbands 4 wheel cart is one you can take apart. I know the first one he had was -- but it was hard for me to pick up and put in car trunk. I know for sure the wheelchair ones are not ones you can take apart.

Yes, I saw your review of how you made yours--I should maybe try that first and see how I do.

I thought Dale was over the top having 3 EVC --but 5 --even if you share --I can't tell husband or he will think he can buy 2 more. We have two of the wheelchair type as he is unable to walk or stand and I think he feels better having an extra in case one fails.

They are sure a blessing when going to DL. If not for the EVC he could not enjoy the parks.

He probably had someone there bidding for him. I was bidding on the Hat Box Ghost and finally let his rep have it for $9,300. I would have liked to have it but keeping the money in my pocket was a much better choice. I have seen pictures of Hattie in del Toro's house and he went to a good place.

That's so nuts on the prices for the last auction! I'm glad it went to a good home. I'm not sure that ours would be such a good home. We have so much stuff that we can't display any of it properly, much less have people come over to enjoy it!

I do love surprises :).

You know I am not sure if husbands 4 wheel cart is one you can take apart. I know the first one he had was -- but it was hard for me to pick up and put in car trunk. I know for sure the wheelchair ones are not ones you can take apart.

Yes, I saw your review of how you made yours--I should maybe try that first and see how I do.

I thought Dale was over the top having 3 EVC --but 5 --even if you share --I can't tell husband or he will think he can buy 2 more. We have two of the wheelchair type as he is unable to walk or stand and I think he feels better having an extra in case one fails.

They are sure a blessing when going to DL. If not for the EVC he could not enjoy the parks.

The problem with us and the ECVs is that the batteries wear out. Sometimes Fran decides that it is better to get a new one than replace the batteries. Then when a friend needs to use one she replaces the batteries too! It was a long journey from wheelchair to ECV. At first I used to push her in a wheelchair. There was a time (way back then) when I broke my foot and she was able to push me in a wheelchair.

However, soon I couldn't push her to her satisfaction, so we got a Roll Aid which made her wheelchair a power chair. Then scooters became so affordable that she started using those instead. I can't tell you how many types and models we have been through. She really tries to go without, but for anything as large as Disney she can't possibly walk it. 10+ years after the aforementioned foot injury, I really can't walk Disney either, so I get her worn out scooters. It helps us to get to where we are going without her running circles around me or me throwing in the towel (which happened in 2009 because my scooter died sometime before the Expo, but I didn't realize it until the day before when we were loading up). I couldn't handle the four days of walking and got very cranky the last day so we ended up leaving earlier than we wanted, but it was better than me having a meltdown in public! :confused3

It's always good to have a back up, and just last Monday we took our friend to DL and had three scooters so we all had a good time. We lasted from 12 noon and were leaving Disney at around midnight. A lot of those times were sitting in our scooters waiting for the parade, waiting for the fireworks or sitting down for lunch or dinner, but there is no way we would have made it if any of us had to walk.

You'd be surprised what a trip to Home Depot and a little creativity can do. I would suggest it!

I haven't looked into the whole point calculation, but you wouldn't have to give up THAT much of your BWV points to work in the VGC on points. I know you have your 2012 reservations set, but for your 2014 trip, you could do 8-9 days instead of the full 10, you could bank those points for 2015. Then for 2015 you could use the banked points and borrow 1-2 nights from 2016. That way you haven't compromised your WDW BWV vacations, but still get the idea of staying on property. If there wasn't the carat that F&W may come back to CA I'd transfer points to you. I guess we'll know by then! :rotfl2:

Hmm...I would have to seriously think about that one. I don't know if I'm willing to give up a night or 2 of BWV! I know, I'm crazy! :rotfl2: But, it's not a bad idea, since it would save us some money (wouldn't need to pay for a hotel in Anaheim). We shall see! :thumbsup2

Just in case F&W comes back...when did they usually have it at DLR? I know in FL it's in October and November. DH and I considered doing that for our 10th anniversary trip Veterans Day weekend, but we decided to stick with Foxwoods...DH actually looked at a 2021 calendar (yes, MY DH did this, the guy who never plans vacations!), the year of our 20th anniversary, and he said that we should be able to go to F&W then (provided they still have it!), according to when Veterans Day falls that year (it's on a Thursday, but we could take off Friday, and the boys will be in high school...I'm sure my sister wouldn't mind them staying at her house and going to school from there on that Friday, when they're that much older). OK, enough...I don't want to think about my kids being in high school...they just started Pre-Kindergarten and 1st grade for cryin' out loud! :laughing:

It was after 10PM when the Dick VanDyke performance ended. We knew that not much would still be open, Anaheim being the sleepy little town that it is! But while in the queue we had already decided a hearty (hot) meal was in order. We had called Ralph Brennans Jazz Kitchen and knew they were open until 11PM.

We took our many bags of stuff (remember we bought out Mickey’s of Glendale this morning and we didn’t have a moment of spare time to take the stuff back to the room. Too bad we didn’t know about checking things at the Lounge) back to the room unloaded our cooler and that stuff and headed right back on over to DTD for some yummy hot food.

Though DLR and DTD are not far from the Convention Center, it seemed like miles away. I know a lot of people stayed there for the Expo and I would have hated to walk/ride that far every day. But we passed through the lobby of the GCH and made our way out to DTD. We arrived about 10:35 to find

DSCN2133.jpg

Open and waiting to serve us! :banana: We were seated out on the patio and there were still a few people mulling around DTD.

DSCN2134.jpg

After such a long day, I really wanted a drink. Since oysters were on the menu, I went with my standard Belvedere Gibson Up. They didn’t have any onions, so I said they could make it a Martini as long as they brought the olives on the side! Fran went with a Margarita on the rocks.

DSCN2138.jpg

We’ve been to this restaurant before, but we’ve never had an entrée! And as usual we decided to eat from the appetizer menu again. I started off with the Oysters on the Half Shell. These were OK, but I probably won’t order them here again. I prefer oysters from Northern Regions that are small and briny. These were fairly large and a little chalky. I really don’t like to have to chew my oysters, or if I do, just a little. These required multiple bites and were not quite to my tastes. However I ate them anyways. :rolleyes:

DSCN2140.jpg

We also had the stuffed mushrooms. These were really good and different than any other stuffed mushrooms that I’ve had. They were filled with pork sausage and rice. Obviously they had a New Orleans kick to them. Very tasty, I would order these again.

DSCN2139.jpg

One shouldn’t make a trip to Brennans without ordering some of this garlic cheese bread! Just make sure everyone (or at least anyone you might get close to) eats this as well! :rotfl2:

DSCN2141.jpg

Next up they brought us the Fried Calamari. This is really good, nice and crispy and what I love about it is you get both the ringlets and the little tentacles (or whatever you call them). These are some very tasty morsels!

DSCN2142.jpg

This trio of soups was excellent. Gumbo Ya-Ya, Onion Soup (totally different than the night before) and a Potato Bacon soup. They all had a little kick, but next time, I think we’ll skip the soup of the day and just get full orders of the onion soup and the gumbo, they’re THAT good!

DSCN2143.jpg

So after this little parade of appetizers we were soon becoming full, however I made sure to save up some room for the best dish ever, Chocolate Bread Pudding Souffle! I don’t know how they make a soufflé out of bread pudding but this one is just to die for! So light and fluffy with a crispy bread pudding topping, and once you get to the bottom, it’s ooey and gooey. But to accompany such a heavenly dessert, you definitely need an equivalent drink and they have got it.

A Chocolate Wine Martini! Now some of you may have seen this “Chocolate Wine” at your local megamart. I saw it last spring and was intrigued. It turns out that it is more a liqueur than an actual wine. However this drink combines that Chocolate wine with a little Vanilla Absolut was the perfect companion to my decadent dessert!

DSCN2144.jpg

Here is a live action shot of the drizzling of the Chocolate & Vanilla Sauces

DSCN2147.jpg

Perfection on a plate!

DSCN2149.jpg

Fran got the bread pudding, which was tasty, but paled in comparison to my dessert!

DSCN2148.jpg

Exhausted, full and satisfied, we motored back to the Hilton to crawl into bed. It was well after midnight and we had a 6:30AM wake up call to get up and start it all over again the next day, which by this point, was now just a few hours later that same day!

I am back and catching up... These pictures look awesome....

Hmm...I would have to seriously think about that one. I don't know if I'm willing to give up a night or 2 of BWV! I know, I'm crazy! :rotfl2: But, it's not a bad idea, since it would save us some money (wouldn't need to pay for a hotel in Anaheim). We shall see! :thumbsup2

Just in case F&W comes back...when did they usually have it at DLR? I know in FL it's in October and November. DH and I considered doing that for our 10th anniversary trip Veterans Day weekend, but we decided to stick with Foxwoods...DH actually looked at a 2021 calendar (yes, MY DH did this, the guy who never plans vacations!), the year of our 20th anniversary, and he said that we should be able to go to F&W then (provided they still have it!), according to when Veterans Day falls that year (it's on a Thursday, but we could take off Friday, and the boys will be in high school...I'm sure my sister wouldn't mind them staying at her house and going to school from there on that Friday, when they're that much older). OK, enough...I don't want to think about my kids being in high school...they just started Pre-Kindergarten and 1st grade for cryin' out loud! :laughing:

F&W at DLR started the week after Easter and went for six weeks. It usually ended just before they released all their summer rides and stuff. We were just there the other day and I no idea how jacked up DCA was! You couldn't even enter through the regular way, it's that torn up! I really hope they bring back the Festival. My spring is so boring without it! :lmao:

As far as your points, if you didn't want to make your BWV trips shorter, you could always get yourself in a state of borrowing and then exercise the option to "purchase" the 25 extra points at $15 per point from Disney until you got caught back up to your every two years for 10 days. You have a couple years to think about it! :rotfl2:

I am back and catching up... These pictures look awesome....

I can't wait to go back there again, the food is soooo good!

how can you be jealous.... you were at the Expo....

I'm sure your vacation was a lot more relaxing than the Expo! :rotfl:

So Sunday morning came even earlier than Saturday and even more unwelcome! Again Fran was out the door before me to get in line. For those of you who were paying attention, we never actually ate our lunch from Saturday, so rather than make us up a whole new salad and sandwich, I just put everything that we didn’t eat Saturday back into the cooler, got us some beverages, threw all the snacks I could find into the scooter bags and took off to join her. I decided not to waste my money on the crap they called coffee that they sold at the Convention Center so I decided I would wait until the lounge opened. They didn’t have any to go cups, so I grabbed one from my hotel room and put it in the basket. I was able to catch up with Fran in the line for the “Imagineering the Dream and the Fantasy” Presentation. I was pleased to see that they had separated the line into Sorcerer, Premiere, and General pass holders.

We ate some yogurt in line, and a banana or two. For those of you who have followed my other TRs you must know that I have been dying (well actually I’m being a drama queen. At home, we have a cold breakfast usually in the morning and lunch is often cold or vegetarian, however the fact that I didn’t have a hot meal Saturday night is a hardship for someone like me! :lmao:! As I usually have at least one hot meal that I prepare daily). We enjoyed our conversations with our fellow line mates before entering.

We were seated in the presentation and they made an effort to seat Fran up front without having to transfer from her ECV (I usually park at the back and take a seat so that we are not taking up too many ECV spots). That was nice because we didn’t get that kind of treatment for the rest of the day.

DSCN2284.jpg

I can’t remember the names of the these gentlemen, but they are imagineers who worked on both the Dream and the Fantasy. They led us through the journey this morning.

DSCN2286.jpg

So evidently back in the day when the imagineers found out that they were going to get to create a Cruise ship they went a little bit hog wild, and came up with some wacky designs. These are some early sketches.

DSCN2288.jpg

Eventually they went with classic elegance, similar to classic ships of the Cunard Line (and the one guy said they weren’t supposed to mention this, but) Titanic, (which got a laugh from the crowd) Queen Mary, etc. The Disney fleet now has four ships and this picture is supposed to give you an idea of the varying degrees of scale.

DSCN2287.jpg

As is this one

DSCN2289.jpg

I think they just liked showing us pictures of the ships because here is another.

DSCN2290.jpg

They told us that the ships are assembled almost like Lego. They are all built indoors, three at a time in Northern Germany. This is interesting as one of my coworkers (10 years ago) was married to an Imagineer who was working on the Dream and the Wonder. Those were built in Italy and they were constantly displeased with the pace of the Italian workers. Evidently Disney seems to prefer the German work ethic!

DSCN2291.jpg

DSCN2292.jpg

It gets VERY cold where these ships are built. These guys are from Southern California so they are not used to this kind of weather.

DSCN2293.jpg

One thing they mentioned which was a challenge for Imagineers was the difference between theme park design and cruise ship design. In the theme parks they only have the guest for 20 min to an hour, so they base the attractions on keeping the guests amused for that period of time. On the cruise ship you have them for 3,4,7 days or longer, so the scope of the project was much different than your average theme park ride.

The design approach for ships is like the parks, where they follow Walt's principles of attraction building. Make it wondrous but also make it fun at the same time. The atrium of the Dream/Fantasy sets the stage once you enter the ship. It is beautiful and elegant

DSCN2294.jpg

DSCN2295.jpg

then the details need to show you're on a Disney ship, but not over the top, like toontown. Admiral Donald is your guide.

DSCN2297.jpg

[Continued in Next Post]

[Continue from Previous Post]

Previously Cruise lines had one dining experience. Disney offers several different opportunities throughout your voyage.

DSCN2298.jpg

Royal Palace is the elegant one. Materials board shows textures.

DSCN2299.jpg

Again keeping with the whole theme of elegance, however, there are Cinderella shoes and other subtle cues that it is still a Disney boat.

DSCN2300.jpg

DSCN2301.jpg

Enchanted Garden is the casual restaurant. They wanted an elegant setting but a garden feel. When you arrive it’s daylight in the restaurant.

DSCN2302.jpg

The ceiling panels darken during your meal.

DSCN2303.jpg

All the booths were built offsite concurrent with the building of the ship. When the restaurant was ready for them, the booths were just put in place.

DSCN2304.jpg

DSCN2365.jpg

Animators palette is the entertainment restaurant. It has the feel of the old school animation studio.

DSCN2306.jpg

I really enjoyed the Animator’s Palette on the Wonder, but evidently they have completely changed it up for the Dream and the Fantasy. I’m not sure if the Dream is the same as the Fantasy, but it sounds like a lot of fun. They call the “show” in the restaurant “Choreography”, and evidently the Choreography was difficult for 750 people, so they built the restaurant on land to practice.

DSCN2368.jpg

I’m going to get ahead of myself and go a little bit out of order here. They mentioned the décor of the Animator’s Palette and how the chairs looked like Mickey and they used very basic colors, trying to make it like a studio. However, in the actual presentation they went on about the ship and came back to the restaurant. For the continuity of the report, I’m going go into the “show” and “choreography” that they mentioned later now.

So having only been on the Wonder, I have only had one experience with the Animator’s Palette.

DSCN2366.jpg

Evidently Crush will entertain you as you come into the dining room.

DSCN2367.jpg

Now for the Choreography to work they had to divide the restaurant up into “sections” and feed the video into certain sections for the “show” to make sense. Evidently when you come into the restaurant, you will be given a piece of paper where you are instructed to draw your own character.

DSCN2379.jpg

Your server will take the artwork away before you eat and start to spill stuff on it. Mickey works his magic and all the characters come to life.

DSCN2374.jpg

All the characters from your part of the room will come to life on the video screens that are in your section.

DSCN2375.jpg

Sorry the pictures are blurry, but your characters will romp around with all the Disney characters and do all sorts of silly funny things.

DSCN2377.jpg

At the end of the night you get a souvenir (your drawing) to take home with you as an official animator.

Next up the various areas of the ship for recreation, both adults and kids!

okay. I think I now officially want to experience a Disney Cruise at some time in my life. I'll add it to my bucket list....but I'm sure going to need loads of drugs to stop being seasick and up-chucky!

okay. I think I now officially want to experience a Disney Cruise at some time in my life. I'll add it to my bucket list....but I'm sure going to need loads of drugs to stop being seasick and up-chucky!

I'll tell ya, I've been on Carnival, The Big Red Boat and Celebrity, between Disney and Celebrity they are the best cruises! I really enjoyed our trip on the Wonder even it was only for 4 days, but they knew how to entertain the guests and keep the adults entertained while keeping the kids entertained as well. We never noticed the large number of kids. I'm guessing that the price of the Celebrity Cruise kids didn't come (we went on Amex points!).

F&W at DLR started the week after Easter and went for six weeks. It usually ended just before they released all their summer rides and stuff. We were just there the other day and I no idea how jacked up DCA was! You couldn't even enter through the regular way, it's that torn up! I really hope they bring back the Festival. My spring is so boring without it! :lmao:

As far as your points, if you didn't want to make your BWV trips shorter, you could always get yourself in a state of borrowing and then exercise the option to "purchase" the 25 extra points at $15 per point from Disney until you got caught back up to your every two years for 10 days. You have a couple years to think about it! :rotfl2:

I hope they bring back F&W in CA for you!! Maybe after all the dust clears, they will bring it back and it will be better than ever! Keeping my fingers crossed for you! ;)

I know I have a couple of years to think about a CA trip! :rotfl2: But the more I think about it, the more I think it would just be better to fly. Even if we flew to Seattle, then to LAX, and flew home from San Diego (all non-stop flights too), it would cost a LOT less than driving across country...and I checked mapquest. I did driving directions from our house to Seattle, to Anaheim, to San Diego, and back to our house. It was a total of just under 7,000 miles! :scared1: And 104 hours of driving! :eek: That would mean a lot of overnight stops (which I knew), lots of fuel, lots of hotels, lots of food. So yeah, maybe we will just have to fly, and I will have to suck it up and get over my flying anxiety. I think in that case, we would stay in Seattle for 3 nights, Anaheim for 7 nights and San Diego for 3 nights. Maybe we would just rent a car in Anaheim the last couple of days so we could see some of LA, and also to use in San Diego. Otherwise we wouldn't need to rent a car.

Sorry to hear about the car, hope you all are ok.

I don't understand the Pez price, but then again, I am not that much into candy!

As for auctions, I go to a few and have bought more than I should but I hate being "worked" like that, I will get up and leave when they start that stuff with us.

I laughed at the sketches, especially the second one! How cheesy/corny! :lmao:

So wait, for Animator's Palate and the drawings, will they be doing this on the Fantasy?!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter