My thoughts on POR -- just returned

Was the cajun chicken sandwich spicy? We are doing a split stay 4 nights BC and 3 nights POR in the RGRs. Looking forward to it especially a nice food court after trying awful Deluxe Food courts.

I had that sandwich twice. The first was spicier than the second, but neither were so spicy that they made me sweat or anything. Very tasty sandwich.

Original poster here. I didn't see anyone belittling anyone else's opinions here. I never meant for my original post to cause an uproar on the resorts board. It's just my opinion. While I think POR was beautiful and enjoyed the grounds and the food court, I personally just preferred Coronado. Just my opinion. It's not gospel. I even said that's what is great about Disney - there is something for everyone. I never said I didn't like kids, I specifically stated that the kids didn't bother us. POR is a beautiful resort -- I just didn't fall in love with it the way I did with CSR.

You were not the problem. All of your post is perfectly written & non-insulting. The belittling was not caused by you, and my statements were not meant for you. I was totally misquoted by others, & statements were made about children being at the resorts. They were not polite statements.

You did nothing wrong. Thanks for caring! :goodvibes

Glad you had a great trip. We love POR. I go with my adult daughter and its always our choice for mod when we aren't staying deluxe. Love the mansion section, esp Magnolia Terrace and Acadian House.

Love the boat to DTD, and food court is great. Our fav is the make your own pasta. Next time we will have to try that chicken sandwich!

We have had good luck with the quiet pools. I think they are named quiet cause there's no activities, like the afternoon pool party! Sorry they were so busy. I guess it has to do with the time of year. We go in January and late August when things are less busy. The quiet pools are less crowded then.

You're right, it is a good thing there are many resorts to appeal to people's likes. We visited CSR to check it out for a possible stay, and it just didn't appeal to this middle aged person :rotfl: different strokes for sure!

DH & I love POR. We just stayed 2 times during April, both in AB buildings 18 & 14. We thoroughly enjoyed the quiet pool by Building 18, but did enjoy the Muddy Rivers Pool Bar by the main pool to relax and people watch. We never made it to the Bar inside the main lobby, but hope to next time. We also took the carriage ride around the resorts with Lori & her horse, Tom. That was super relaxing too. Saw alot of couples doing that & some families. We also loved, loved, loved taking the boats to DTD to wander around & have dinner. Next time we're hoping to stay at Magnolia Terrace in the mansions to see the difference between AB & the mansions. I've stayed at CBR but it was too huge for me. JMHO! :rolleyes1:rolleyes1

I see no need for THREE people to belittle another poster's answer - just for a difference of opinion. Thank you. :thumbsup2 :goodvibes

We teach our children to play nice - to be kind - to listen to the other person & accept them for who they are. We teach them to try to see the other child's point of view on questions & answers. Good lessons, aren't they? :goodvibes

If that was meant for me, I wasn't belittling anyone. Just trying to joke about the subject a little. And another poster stated the same thing. Please don't read anything mean spirited into posts that were not intended to be!:)

I think if I type "kidding" into a post it means I am KIDDING!!!

(and yes I was kidding...not sure how it was read as belittling)

You should pay the extra for a garden view - it's totally worth it. Not that the actual view is worth the money, but if you look at the room choices on www.portorleans.org you'll see that "garden view" gets you a much better location.

We love POR and will probably never stay anywhere else on property. We like to book a garden view and then request Magnolia Terrace. Best location, IMO.

I'm leaning more and more towards POR despite it being a little more expensive for us. Thanks for your input!!!:)

OP, thanks for writing your review of POR. I agree completely with your assessment of CSR having more of an adult feel. Even though the main pool has a lot of families with kids, playground, etc. it does have a more adult vibe (my opinion).

Even though your room was upgraded at POR, I would have been disappointed if I couldnt see the river from the outside corridor or window. It does cost extra for that classification so I would have probably said something. Although, I guess, it would depend how much I liked the actual room.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

It does cost extra for that classification so I would have probably said something.

I believe the Royal Rooms cost more than a regular riverview, so in that sense it really was an upgrade. I would normally gripe about not getting a view I paid for, because view is important to me, but the Royal Rooms are so neat, that change is one of the few times I might let it slide. ;) Assuming the room was facing the river or pool or gardens, rather than the parking lot, that is, which this one apparently was.

I LOVE POR! It's my fav Mod followed closely by CSR. The mansion style give the place a wonderfully relaxing feel. The gardens are gorgeous. The main pool has this secluded feel.

You have the piano player in the recepcion area in the evenings. QS dining very good.

I had a choice and for my May trip got CSR because of price and a wonderful experience my last trip. However, POR is home to me. :-)

POR is our first choice. It's extremely clean & has beautiful & perfectly-groomed grounds. The food court is the best on Disney property.

The refurbished rooms are well planned - we have used the Alligator section handicapped roll-in shower room several times already. We're going back in July. We can't wait - we love it there!

POR seems to be special to a lot of us. They must be doing something right! :thumbsup2

I believe the Royal Rooms cost more than a regular riverview, so in that sense it really was an upgrade. I would normally gripe about not getting a view I paid for, because view is important to me, but the Royal Rooms are so neat, that change is one of the few times I might let it slide. ;) Assuming the room was facing the river or pool or gardens, rather than the parking lot, that is, which this one apparently was.

You're right - Royal Rooms do cost more. If we hadn't been exhausted from driving for 17 hours, I would have requested to be moved to a different room. The royal room was wasted on us. It was just DH and I. I truly would have preferred to have my riverview room that I had paid for (which, again, technically was because it did look at the river, but you had to do some acrobatics to actually see it through the trees :rotfl:), but I just didn't have the energy to wait for another room.

The Quiet/Leisure pools were empty both times we visited. That was in October and December. Time of year clearly affects their use. We're northerners, so yes, my DD did swim one day in December and several days in October and was not cold. We were on the 2nd floor of Oak Manor but the side closest to Magnolia and were riverfront directly in full view of the boat launch. Maybe we just lucked out.

I'm sure they thought the upgrade would be your preference, but I can see why Magnolia Riverfront would be what you may have really wanted. There DEFINITELY are a lot of families at POR, it has a good food court.

Looking forward to our first stay at POR this summer. Two middle-aged Texans in a royal room! :cool1:

We've been to POR before to see Yeehaw Bob. Although we only had one meal there, the food court seemed nice.

You should pay the extra for a garden view - it's totally worth it. Not that the actual view is worth the money, but if you look at the room choices on www.portorleans.org you'll see that "garden view" gets you a much better location.

We love POR and will probably never stay anywhere else on property. We like to book a garden view and then request Magnolia Terrace. Best location, IMO.

Yes! I just noticed this tonight about Riverside! Those standard rooms are all on the outer perimeter! Which, I guess could be a good thing if you have a car and don't plan on eating in the food court much I guess.

Yes! I just noticed this tonight about Riverside! Those standard rooms are all on the outer perimeter! Which, I guess could be a good thing if you have a car and don't plan on eating in the food court much I guess.

Yep! We actually downgraded from a standard view royal room, to a garden view standard room just for the better location. We requested a room in magnolia terrace close to the river path last time. We were given a great room close to the path, and close to the parking lot for the mansion beside it (Acadian?? The one with the royal rooms). We were a quick walk to the main pool/dining, and super close to the movies on the lawn. We parked our car in the lot for the mansion beside us, and it was a very quick walk.

We love POR. I miss it so much I bought the soundtrack they play on loop just to feel like I'm there!

There are standard rooms that are close to the food court. They do all have what would end up being a parking lot view, but that is what a standard, non garden view is. But you may get lucky and get one close to the main buildings. You can always ask.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter