My stroller debate

beccalines

Mouseketeer
I need some help from those who have been before. We have a Graco Duo-Glider stroller that we were planning on bring to Disney. Now we are flying and I don't know if I want the hassle of a double stroller. Our children are 7,5,3,1 and I'll be 16wks pregnant. I've heard the Disney strollers can even fit 3 kids (if the want to squish) and that they are a lot easier to roll. If one of our bigger kids gets in our stroller, it does make it more difficult to push. I've also heard about the hassle it is to take your stroller on the buses. I don't want to cause trouble for everyone, I just don't know if I can justify the money to rent a double for 8 days. My SIL said that Disney cast members seem to help you out with the stroller as long as it's one of theirs.

So...I need those with experience to give me some great advice.

Thanks-only 5 weeks to go!

Hi there! I would say the main disadvantage of renting a stroller is not being able to take it outside of the parks and I think you have to wait in line everyday to rent one.

Personally, we love having our stroller available to navigate the airport, resort, Boardwalk area, etc.

I recently flew with my two-year-old twins and left the stroller at home. I regretted the decision as soon as we got at the airport.

It is definately worth it to bring your own stroller. It is very helpful as pp mentioned at airports, resorts, walking into the parks and walking out of the park after a long day.

It can be a little awkward on buses, but well worth the effort. Since you aren't going at a super busy time it can be quite manageable. The biggest pain is having all the gear you put in the basket contained into a manageable bag that is easy to pull out.

Also, if you have a rain cover, you don't have to worry about jerry-rigging something w/a WDW stroller if you are caught in a typical afternoon shower. You also don't have to worry about paying for renting one...you could just about buy a double Maclaren for what you'd pay for 8 days rental.

I have always found Disney CMs very willing to help if needed, regardless of your stroller!!

Have a great trip!

I would definitely bring a double. Otherwise, you will be carrying the 3 yo and 1 yo everywhere except the parks. The Graco Duoglider is notoriously difficult to push as kids become heavier. Have thought about investing in a new double? As the previous poster mentioned, for the cost of rental, you could buy a double Maclaren, which are much easier to push. And since it sounds like you will be needing a double for a while, it might be worth it.

Enjoy your trip!

I wish I had heard about the Maclarens when my kids were smaller. I had the duoglide- and now that my son is bigger, it is worthless to use. We have a single Maclaren now, which my 4 year old is easy to push in, and he weighs 50 lbs and is almost 49 inches tall. We take that and one cheapo umbrella stroller to the parks and it makes life easier!! It sounds like you have a handful anyway with all your kids and being pregnant too!! Whatever you can do to make the haul to and from the parks easy, do it!!!!

I highly recommend spending the money on the Maclaren. Sticker shock is high, but well worth it once you own it. Also check ebay. I got ours there for 75 dollars shipped, and it is in great condition.

We have the Jeep brand stroller and it is umbrella type, super light and easy to push and fold. We love it! The only drawback is that the weight limit is 35 lbs on each side. We have used it at Disney 2x and unfortunatly it won't be making a third trip since my kids will be 7 and 4 when we go next year. It was only $80 at amazon and at the time I got free shipping. Here's a picture of the kids in it last month.

disney07149.jpg

They were a little tired and caught off guard when I snapped this picture.

I'd bring yours AND rent one!!

That is what I am doing with kids 7, 5, 3, 1.

That is also what we did for last trip when they were 5, 3, 1 and I was 14 weeks pregnant.

The Disney ones glide so well. I had my 5 and 3 y.o.s in there in the parks. Outside the park, our sit-n-stand was perfect for the one year old and the 5 and 3 y.o.s would take turns on it as needed.

JMO
HTH

My twins are 2 1/2 now, and we have a DuoGlider and DuoRider. I liked the Glider when they were smaller, and it was my favorite for taking to the mall and grocery store. We used the DuoRider for Disney trips. A few months ago, I had to completely abondon using the Glider because my girls are heavier now. I was having a very hard time steering it.

The DuoRider is great for Disney because it is roomy and the seats recline comfortably. My girls nap in it all the time while we are out and about. The basket is also nice and big. I use the basket as my cart at the grocery store. :)

It was only about $80 when we bought it last year, and I don't see it sold anywhere that cheap now. Here's a link to it -- http://www.babyage.com/products/6551cln3_graco_graco_duorider_side_by_side_double_stroller.htm

ETA: I took the velcro seat covers out of ours because they kept slipping. . . very annoying.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!