My sis who is a DLR vet thinks we're doing it wrong

We stayed at all 3 Resort Hotels and prefer the Grand Californian with the kids because of its location. DH may have a better themed pool but the one at the GCH is very nice . Its so nice having the hotel right there so close if you need to take a nap or need something from the room or need to change out of wet clothes.

There is not right or wrong way to do Disney. Looks like you guys each need to give a little and compromise.

OP, I think I misread your post. When I made the above reply, I thought you were vacationing WITH your sister. Now I'm thinking it's just your family. If that's the case it would be ridiculous to expect any give or compromise.

As others have pointed out, there is some validity to some of her points. But it's your trip, so do it your way.

I hope you have a great time!

Everyone tours DIsneyland differently. Many like to park storm all day every day. We personally like to take it slower and have relax times also. We do do table service (but not necessarily the big 3 all on one trip.) If you are traveling with your sister, she can stay across the street and you can stay at the DLH. Perhaps she can compromise and join you for a couple of the meals, but the rest, her crew can storm the park while you enjoy your leisurely meal. It is hard to share a trip with someone whose style is so different from yours.

I think your sister ( and me! ) might be jealous, if I had unlimited funds ( which it sound like you might ) I'd vacation like that too. Who wouldn't prefer to stay at DLH over a motel? and dine with characters? is it frivolous? - yes, but so is a trip to visit a theme park to some people.
GO! have fun! let us jealous people be bitter and jealous.

I cannot even fathom touring Disneyland in that way. Cannot imagine it. Sure, you're getting some use out of the expensive hotel, but what about the expensive tickets? Nope, coudln't do it. I'd listen to your sister there. (though I couldn't do it at WDW, either. Only time we've done such a touring plan is at Universal Orlando, when DS and I were sick and woke up thinking we were better, only to figure out after lunch that we weren't and needed to quarantine ourselves again).

Hmm, I assumed OP was saying she went back to the parks after a break and the nice dinner. If she ended her park visit at 1 or 2, I would agree with you. But DLR is open from 7 (with EE) to midnight during our days...my DH would refuse to go without a break structured much like her plan! :)

Hmm, I assumed OP was saying she went back to the parks after a break and the nice dinner. If she ended her park visit at 1 or 2, I would agree with you. But DLR is open from 7 (with EE) to midnight during our days...my DH would refuse to go without a break structured much like her plan! :)

I hope that's what she means, but even that isn't something my family can do. If we swim, we're done for the day. It's so exhausting!

But the OP doesn't say they go back to parks. So I don't know.

WDW vet here making his first trip to DLR since childhood.

When we go to WDW, we like to go all out (do splits stays at deluxe resorts and typically eat two TS meals a day, including a lot of character breakfasts and dinners at signature restaurants). We also love the immersive experience that WDW offers and typically spend our entire vacation on Disney property.

So, we're trying to replicte that type of vacation as much as possible at DLR. Planning to stay at DLH for 5 nights with dinners at Blue Bayou (Fantasmic package), Big Thunder Ranch BBQ, Carthay Circle (WOC package), Steakhouse 55, and Napa Rose. Breakfasts at PCH Grill, Storytellers, and Steakhouse 55 (the other two mornings we plan to just grab an early quick bite so as to take full advantage of EMH/MM). We typically just sort of wing it/snack for lunch.

Anyway, here are my sister's (DLR vet who has never done WDW as an adult) criticisms of our plans:

1. We're way overpaying for lodging by staying at DLH when there are other places just as good and just as close that are FAR cheaper.

2. We have too many TS meals scheduled (her take is that CS meals provide much more bang for the buck and take much less time).

3. Character breakfasts are a rip-off.

4. Three of our dinners (Carthay Circle, Steakhouse 55, and Napa Rose) are at places unsuitable for our kids (ages 11 and 5).

Her other criticsm is that we're gong from May 17-22 and will just miss the beginning of the 60th anniversary (we've already purchased our plane tickets). She thinks we would be better off paying to move our flights back a week and then using the savings to stay at a cheaper hotel and not eating as many TS meals.

With regard to her last point, my take is that May 17-22 is still a good time to go because refurbs to all the major attractions (fingers crossed) are supposed to be done by then but it will be less crowded than after the 60th officially starts. So, even though we'll be missing some of the new 60th stuff, I see that week as somewhat of a sweet spot.

I don't know quite what to make of her points about the restaurants because I've only eaten TS at WDW. Are character breakfasts at DLR less worthwhile than at WDW? Are the nicer TS restaurants at DLR more adult-oriented than WDW signatures (we've taken our kids to virtually all of these, except, of course V&A)?

Personally, I think a lot of her beef with our plans has more to do with differing touring styles than DLR versus WDW. At WDW, we only like to stay in the parks from RD until 1-2 pm, then go back to the resort to swim/nap, followed by a nice TS dinner. She, on the other hand, likes to go commando style, ride as many rides as many times as possible, and only use the hotel for sleeping, which is not our style.

In any event, I'm interested to hear others' perspectives on our plans versus my sister's opinions.

Your money, your vacation. Who cares what she thinks?! Everyone has different ideas of what is fun and what isn't. Just because it's not HER type of vacation...doesn't mean it won't be fun for you guys.

To me, your plan is pretty much the opposite of what we would do. However, I'd never tell you to do things MY way on YOUR vacation. And your sister shouldn't either.

I hope that's what she means, but even that isn't something my family can do. If we swim, we're done for the day. It's so exhausting!

But the OP doesn't say they go back to parks. So I don't know.

I wondered about that part too. Sounds like a waste of money to only be in the parks for the morning. I don't really see the point of paying top dollar for park tickets if all you want to do is eat and hang out in the hotel. But that's just me.

When we go to WDW, we like to go all out (do splits stays at deluxe resorts and typically eat two TS meals a day, including a lot of character breakfasts and dinners at signature restaurants). We also love the immersive experience that WDW offers and typically spend our entire vacation on Disney property.

So, we're trying to replicte that type of vacation as much as possible at DLR. Planning to stay at DLH for 5 nights with dinners at Blue Bayou (Fantasmic package), Big Thunder Ranch BBQ, Carthay Circle (WOC package), Steakhouse 55, and Napa Rose. Breakfasts at PCH Grill, Storytellers, and Steakhouse 55 (the other two mornings we plan to just grab an early quick bite so as to take full advantage of EMH/MM). We typically just sort of wing it/snack for lunch.
OP, you have gotten some great advice from many knowledgeable folks here. I would agree with a PP that the idea to replicate WDW at DLR is misguided. Don't! Stop! Halt!

I would highly encourage you to get a better feel for DLR and then adapt your WDW preferences to DLR rather than trying to make DLR adapt to your WDW preferences. I cannot state this strongly enough.

First. If you stay at an easy walking distance hotel (GCH for Disney, something like BWPPI offsite) you just can't do that at WDW. It changes everything about your trip. DLH is fine, for example, but it is a longer hike to the parks. So are other good neighbors a little further. I always encourage folks to stay somewhere close to the parks. For comparison, when I add up how much time we spend each day at DLR inside one of the parks vs. WDW, we always seem to spend at least 50% more time in the parks. That is like 3-5 hours a day. Partly because we always stay within walking distance and it just lends itself to more park time.

Once you pick your hotel (hopefully a close one) then realize you can get from your hotel room door to the DLR gates in 10 minutes. That is the time it takes at many WDW hotels just to get to the bus or boat pickup. It changes everything about how you plan your meals and rest time/breaks and tour the parks.

In any case, I could give my response to your sister's points but others have covered that pretty well. She does have valid points in some cases but it really depends on each person's priorities and preferences. For example, when my kids were younger (say 4-10) and money was tighter I could not bring myself to pay for the very pricey Disney hotels. So we made offsite work and had completely awesome and memorable trips. As my kids got older money was less of an issue and we stayed onsite more often. But not always. This summer we are going offsite again largely because we can no longer fit into a single room and need two rooms. Both onsite and offsite have their advantages but IMO onsite at DLR does not hold nearly the value as onsite at WDW holds.

In the end, take advice from your sister, from this forum, from whatever other input you have available, and then after you have invested sufficient time to digest the DLR differences as best you can, make a choice and go for the trip you want to have.

Good luck!

:wizard:

I am one that agrees with your sister but that's my plans and not yours. I have stayed at the DLH twice, been there, done that. However, it's your vacation and your choice of hotel so nothing wrong with that whatsoever.

The part I really don't know about is leaving the park at 2 and not returning at all. You could be in DL, jump on the monorail and be almost at your hotel or the other way around when going back into DL. I can see leaving one of the parks in WDW, and it being a pain to catch buses, etc to go back to a park. I'm guessing though that we are reading it wrong and you are planning to go back to the parks at dinner time since you have Blue Bayou and Carthay Circle?

Anyway, here are my sister's (DLR vet who has never done WDW as an adult) criticisms of our plans:

1. We're way overpaying for lodging by staying at DLH when there are other places just as good and just as close that are FAR cheaper.

2. We have too many TS meals scheduled (her take is that CS meals provide much more bang for the buck and take much less time).

3. Character breakfasts are a rip-off.

4. Three of our dinners (Carthay Circle, Steakhouse 55, and Napa Rose) are at places unsuitable for our kids (ages 11 and 5).

Her other criticsm is that we're gong from May 17-22 and will just miss the beginning of the 60th anniversary (we've already purchased our plane tickets). She thinks we would be better off paying to move our flights back a week and then using the savings to stay at a cheaper hotel and not eating as many TS meals.

With regard to her last point, my take is that May 17-22 is still a good time to go because refurbs to all the major attractions (fingers crossed) are supposed to be done by then but it will be less crowded than after the 60th officially starts. So, even though we'll be missing some of the new 60th stuff, I see that week as somewhat of a sweet spot.

I don't know quite what to make of her points about the restaurants because I've only eaten TS at WDW. Are character breakfasts at DLR less worthwhile than at WDW? Are the nicer TS restaurants at DLR more adult-oriented than WDW signatures (we've taken our kids to virtually all of these, except, of course V&A)?

Personally, I think a lot of her beef with our plans has more to do with differing touring styles than DLR versus WDW. At WDW, we only like to stay in the parks from RD until 1-2 pm, then go back to the resort to swim/nap, followed by a nice TS dinner. She, on the other hand, likes to go commando style, ride as many rides as many times as possible, and only use the hotel for sleeping, which is not our style.

In any event, I'm interested to hear others' perspectives on our plans versus my sister's opinions.

As a previous poster mentioned, it is possible that your sister might be a tad jealous of what you are able to afford. ;) Honestly though, it is your vacation. You know your vacation style better than she does. There are plenty of people who vacation like you do, and there are plenty of others who vacation like your sister. There is nothing wrong with either way. It seems like your sister sees Disneyland as a theme park visit, while you see it as a full out vacation. If this is a rare visit, you want to come back remembering all those fun memories that were made, not how much money you saved. Again, it is a personal preference, but your plans look flawless and you can never go wrong with going full out at Disney! :woohoo:

I definitely think if you go in trying to make a DLR vacation just like a WDW vacation...you will be very disappointed. They are so different. I love WDW and DLR but they really aren't that much alike at all.

Hum here is my idea
1- It is your vacation not your sisters however.
It sounds like she is a dl vet. Most of the harbor hotels are closer and cheaper then dlh when walking. Or about the same. That said I would love to stay there for a few nights this coming trip but I just cant justify the price.
2- Chr breakfasts are the best. I love Plaza inn. Best chr interaction ever.
3. Maybe you have a few to many TS plan but that's just me. Our family seems to get sick with to many TS meals.

I have done a lot of research for wdw because I wanted to go this year but the 60th stuff made us change our plans.
Remember it is a 5 minuet walk from both parks. Staying across the street is not so bad. You still can stay in the bubble. Yes you have the cross walk and a few people see beggars and pan handlers but I also don't think it would be a reason for me to pay so much for DLH. A few nights sure but I don't think id spend my whole vacation fund on DLH.
As my hubby said to em this time. By not trying to go there a night, we can afford more treats and gifts for family and us.

It is up to you but I do see some of your sisters points.

I would say I am a Disneyland vet and I love your plan. I wish I could do it your way every time we went.
Enjoy! Have fun!
And don't worry what anyone else thinks or says.

We have been fortunate to visit Disneyland (once to WDW) every year for the past ten years. We have to save and budget. As my girls have gotten older, we have decided that a shorter visit is worth it to be able to stay on property. I would pick on property every single time if I could. We will also eat CS more in order to eat at our favorite TS. Carnation Cafe breakfast and Storyteller's lunch are MUST dos for us! This summer, we will be fulfilling a dream and we will be at Disneyland on July 17! Also, we want to try more TS places, so we have chosen to stay offsite.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, everyone does a Disney vacation differently. Do what makes you happy! :)

OP, you have gotten some great advice from many knowledgeable folks here. I would agree with a PP that the idea to replicate WDW at DLR is misguided. Don't! Stop! Halt!

I would highly encourage you to get a better feel for DLR and then adapt your WDW preferences to DLR rather than trying to make DLR adapt to your WDW preferences. I cannot state this strongly enough.

This is also my advice. I do think it's your vacation, not your sisters. Not sure if you asked for her advice, or if it is just unsolicited, but you plan for how you enjoy to vacation. I would just caution that DLR and WDW are different experiences. We go to both, and I always know to expect different things from one trip than the other. Honestly, besides being Disney themed, they are totally different.

I love the character breakfasts at DLR, and we do those at WDW, too. We do Surf's Up or Minnie's. But only one per trip. Then we do one character lunch, usually Ariel's, and one or two other TS meals. CS is so much better at DLR than WDW so I don't feel the need to spend time and money at TS in order to get good meals (not just fried food, which we don't really eat) and an enjoyable atmosphere. You will find that the park has so much more to do that a park at WDW because all the rides and shows spread out over four parks at WDW are in just the two parks at DLR.

Enjoy the hotel! We never feel like spending the money on hotels at DLR (we always stay on site at WDW), but they are so nice and I can definitely understand the desire.

I have been to both wdw and DL numerous times. Each time I do things much different, I base it on who I am going with. if myself and boyfriend, across the street at a cheap hotel is perfect, we only use the bed to sleep in and we are at the parks all the rest of the time.mwe eat hamberg and hot dogs and that is fine for us. And we can spend less than $1000 for a week trip. On then ther hand, if sis or mom and dad go, dad only wants GC, and wants at least one table service. Mom would prefer PP or marriot, sis prefers DLH. When mom goes with granddaughter, we eat charactor meals, otherwise we all skip them. But I will tell you I i ever had a bad disneylandvacation.

I will say for a newie your not faroff, try everything and thenyou will no. My preference with your children's age would be slightly different, I would prefer PPH, only because it is closer, and less noise than the other two Disney hotels, far less noisy if you ask me.

Two, I would look into what charactor's your kids want, if girls and princesses, you are missing arial's gratto. I also prefer Minnie's breakfast, the only character breakfast that has 10 charactors not just 5, and it is the cheapest for some reasons. I say this only because if you give your kids a little mores aye they will sit thru what you want am titles better, but some kids are tater than others sitting still.

One last bit of advice, WDW and DL are totally different experiences. Don't try to keep comparing, just enjoy. You have to try it once, and you will see maybe what your sister is saying makes more sense. When we first decided to go to WDW everyone said we were doing it wrong. They were right but I'm glad we did it the way we did, we got to experience it and find out ourself what works. We did SoG, I love it but is not a Disney hotel. I love the food at WDW, and the good dining, but our first trip at SOG we did not get any of it, but we learned and next time we did it different. At DL we don't do to much dining on site, if we want real food for less garden walk is just a few steps away, not at WDW.

Last edited:
If you like doing TS and want to eat at some of the nicer places (Carthay and Napa) they have on site child care for hotel guests at the Grand from 5PM-midnight. Its $13/hr per child and our kids love going there. Worth considering for those places. Your kids might like BB since its inside Pirates.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter