My Pressed Penny Collection!

Sir Aaron - that sounds like quite the obsession... I mean collection. :)
Just curious, are there any that you know of but have not been able to get yet? Do you have a "wish list" or "holy grail".

Kathy

Sir Aaron - that sounds like quite the obsession... I mean collection. :)
Just curious, are there any that you know of but have not been able to get yet? Do you have a "wish list" or "holy grail".

Kathy

I don't know that I have a wish list. I've pretty much limited my collection to pennies that I have personally pressed. It's a collection, but it's one that I made from places I've been to. The only exceptions I have are free pennies that are given to me as part of my membership to TEC (The Elongagated Collector) or pennies that were given to me when I ordered supplies.

I have sometimes been tempted to purchase pennies especially at auction because some of them have become quite valuable. There are also many Disney pennies I wish I had been able to obtain but was not because the press was broken or I wasn't able to visit when that particular machine was "on stage."

I still have not collected all the WDW pennies. That would a feat in and of itself since it will require me to visit every resort. There are also a number of penny locations around Houston, I've yet to visit.

I haven't decided whether I'll trade with anybody. I have a number of duplicates both in Zinc and Copper.

The one exception I might make is Rainforest Cafe presses. I've been to a number of restaurants and getting them from each and every Rainforest Cafe in the world would be a pretty cool accomplishment.

Thank you for sharing those. I love collection pressed pennies!

I NEED to find that Kermit one!

I checked all the coin stores here in CT and none of them sell those elongated coin holders, I checked amazon and they have them for really cheap but the shipping is ridiculous. Have to give in though and order them, I love the way those pennies look, so much better than the pressed penny books they sell at WDW.
Here is a great hint for all of you pressed pennie enthusiasts.
If you are getting your pennies ready before you get to the parks soak them in vinegar overnight. The next day they will be so shiny your pressed pennies will look better. If you don't have shiny pennies ready at the park grab a ketchup container and put the pennie in the palm of your hand and rub it well with ketchup then rinse. It will shine your penny up nice enough. the acids in the vinegar will cleanse off all the oxidation on the penny.
I didn't see it here but a miny m&m container makes a good holder. I make it up for my grandson every trip, 2 quarters and a shiny penny, 2 quarters and a shiny penny. Then I get to carry that heavy container around all day...lol

THIS. IS. AWESOME.

I am a huge Disney collectors and I LOVE these... wish I had them.

Great job, truly.

Ethan

I checked all the coin stores here in CT and none of them sell those elongated coin holders, I checked amazon and they have them for really cheap but the shipping is ridiculous. Have to give in though and order them, I love the way those pennies look, so much better than the pressed penny books they sell at WDW.
Here is a great hint for all of you pressed pennie enthusiasts.
If you are getting your pennies ready before you get to the parks soak them in vinegar overnight. The next day they will be so shiny your pressed pennies will look better. If you don't have shiny pennies ready at the park grab a ketchup container and put the pennie in the palm of your hand and rub it well with ketchup then rinse. It will shine your penny up nice enough. the acids in the vinegar will cleanse off all the oxidation on the penny.
I didn't see it here but a miny m&m container makes a good holder. I make it up for my grandson every trip, 2 quarters and a shiny penny, 2 quarters and a shiny penny. Then I get to carry that heavy container around all day...lol

I've started using pre-82 pennies which are made of mostly copper. I now tumble my own pennies as vinegar and ketchup don't clean then well enough, IMHO.

I'm updating my penny collection. I probably have close to 1,000 pennies. Doing an inventory and storage system has been pretty time consuming. I plan to add more photos soon.

In the meantime, if anybody has any pressed penny questions, please add them here!

Hello Sir Aaron,
I have quite a large collection, not as many as you, but getting there!
I purchased the plastic sheeting with 2x2 squares for displaying coins, not realizing it wasn't the same system you were using. Any tips on how to get the coins to stay in the sheeting? I made labels for each thinking that would give it something to "stick" to but it hasn't seemed to help. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Very cool! We decided to have the kids collect pressed pennies for every place we go. Most places have a machine and the kids love cranking that machine and watching their penny come out!

We collect change throughout the year and then I roll it up. So, I usually throw a roll of quarters in my bag and have a baggie that I keep the shiniest pennies in!

We got the kids books to keep them in when we were in DTD. It isn't so much about collecting every single kind, but ones from each place we visit. They have a couple from Sea World, one from Wet n' Wild, one from T-Rex and DTD, and a few from Universal from our last vacation. They also have one from the Indy Motor Speedway when we visited. So, wherever we go, the kids get pennies. They have looked at their collections and shown them to friends. It was loads of fun for them! :)

Hello Sir Aaron,
I have quite a large collection, not as many as you, but getting there!
I purchased the plastic sheeting with 2x2 squares for displaying coins, not realizing it wasn't the same system you were using. Any tips on how to get the coins to stay in the sheeting? I made labels for each thinking that would give it something to "stick" to but it hasn't seemed to help. Any ideas would be appreciated!

I'm assuming you have the plastic pages like this? You are probably missing the 2x2 Flips.

What I do is buy the oblong size cardboard flips and the Supersafe Archival pages. I buy the bigger flips for quarters. You place the penny into the cardboard flip and staple it. Others use archival quality photo tape (the kind you put on the back corners of photos to put into scrapbooks), but I've not had great success with the tape. Plus the tape takes forever. Then I make my labels and apply to the cardboard flip. The flip then goes into the archival pages where they are quite snug.

I know a guy who is an officer of The Elongated Collector's Club who you can buy cardboard flips and other supplies from. Here is his site.

I'm assuming you have the plastic pages like this? You are probably missing the 2x2 Flips.

What I do is buy the oblong size cardboard flips and the Supersafe Archival pages. I buy the bigger flips for quarters. You place the penny into the cardboard flip and staple it. Others use archival quality photo tape (the kind you put on the back corners of photos to put into scrapbooks), but I've not had great success with the tape. Plus the tape takes forever. Then I make my labels and apply to the cardboard flip. The flip then goes into the archival pages where they are quite snug.

I know a guy who is an officer of The Elongated Collector's Club who you can buy cardboard flips and other supplies from. Here is his site.

Thank you! I am missing the flips. Would you recommend the big or small window?

Thank you! I am missing the flips. Would you recommend the big or small window?

Small window for pennies and dimes, sometimes nickels. Big window for quarters and sometimes nickels. You need a flat cinch stapler too (and staples), if you plan to staple them. A regular stapler will not work because the staples will be rounded on the back (instead of flat).

I love this tip for storing the pressed coins. Last time I was in WDW the pressed coins were my main souvenir (aside from a baseball cap). I limited myself to only getting 1 coin from each machine that I discovered in the park, telling myself that I will have to come back again to get more.

Nothing like another reason to visit!

For display, I bought a frame for photos (I believe it was 11X14") with glass inside. I took the glass out, covered it with cardstock and used little double-sided foam adhesive pads (the kind for scrapbooking) to stick the coins on. It's not exactly archival and the coins are exposed, but for me it is more a display of memories instead of a display of a collection. I'd post a picture but I'm too quiet on the boards and therefore not allowed.

I love this tip for storing the pressed coins. Last time I was in WDW the pressed coins were my main souvenir (aside from a baseball cap). I limited myself to only getting 1 coin from each machine that I discovered in the park, telling myself that I will have to come back again to get more.

Nothing like another reason to visit!

For display, I bought a frame for photos (I believe it was 11X14") with glass inside. I took the glass out, covered it with cardstock and used little double-sided foam adhesive pads (the kind for scrapbooking) to stick the coins on. It's not exactly archival and the coins are exposed, but for me it is more a display of memories instead of a display of a collection. I'd post a picture but I'm too quiet on the boards and therefore not allowed.

I hope you come back and post a pic when you get privileges.

Archival is only necessary if you want to keep the pennies looking new. Copper as with most metals will develop a patina over time . Some penny collectors like this look because the designs are easier to see. You can also shine them back up.

pressedpenny_zps16189401.jpg

Just adding a site that might be useful, sorry if it's already on here, didn't have time to read all posts.

presscoins.com

lists all the locations and pictures. My DD has been hi-lighting her wish list, it will be her first visit. I like that we can get some from AoA resort too :goodvibes

Kind of funny I've been visiting this board daily to plan my trip in September but had yet to find this post. I am the webmaster for the elongated collectors and was checking the site stats and saw that a link was posted here!

I've been planning everything for my trip obsessively - yet somehow have not yet started thinking about what pennies I need to press while I'm there! I may just bring the pennies and quarters and see what I stumble upon. Not sure yet!

I also use the sheets and 2x2 flips - although we recently moved and I was very behind on cataloging everything before we moved so I need to catch up and figure out which WDW coins I already have so I don't get any duplicates!

I am the webmaster for the elongated collectors and was checking the site stats and saw that a link was posted here!

Hi Webmaster Katie! Member 4391 here. I'm wondering if I posted the link. Was that on the old board at the TEC site or on the Yahoo Group?

I've been planning everything for my trip obsessively - yet somehow have not yet started thinking about what pennies I need to press while I'm there! I may just bring the pennies and quarters and see what I stumble upon. Not sure yet!

I'm going to WDW in September. It takes way too much planning. I've not finished putting together my EC's from my trip in December (also to WDW). There are so many ECs, I've pretty much decided to concentrate on one park per trip. I think I have most of them now, just a few holes to plug in. I'd like to get all the hotels too, just don't feel like trying to hop a bus to get to each one.

I also use the sheets and 2x2 flips - although we recently moved and I was very behind on cataloging everything before we moved so I need to catch up and figure out which WDW coins I already have so I don't get any duplicates

I have a massive spreadsheet that I've adapted from Boomer over at Park Pennies. Every once in a while I send him my spreadsheet to post on that site (along with my labels).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter