My Mom, an ECV and Animal Kingdom?

Tinkerbell2

Earning My Ears
Ok before i go and sound stupid, I've never been to Animal Kingdom!

This time I want to go. My mom has to use an ecv because of bad lung problems she cant walk more than a few feet at a time with out stopping for 20 min to weez!

Well I was reading about the safari thing and it said it takes you someplace and drops you off and you have to walk back. Im assuming this is like the thing at the studios (the backlot tour) Now will thay let her take the cart on that or will they transport it to the drop off place or would they actually make her walk back?

Is the ride really jolting or just a little bumpy like hitting a lot of potholes?

Thanks for the help!

When you go through the line for the Safari with an ECV, they will divert you to a separate entrance. The truck there returns to the same place and is for the handicapped guests and their families. It may take a bit for it to fill but your Mom will not need to walk back to her ECV.

Pooh

I don't recall having to walk back from anything on that attraction. The ride is very bumpy, much more than just potholes, and if you have issues with that you might want to check out the ride beforehand, if possible, before putting sensitive people on.

Just to warn you, Animal Kingdom walkways are molded to simulate forest footpaths, and they are a bit bumpy and rutted themselves. An ECV is a good idea.

galc.gif

"My brain takes a vacation just to give my heart more room..."
teri@iluvdisney.com

I didn't think that the ride was all that bumpy - I was concerned about it a little (because of having my children with me) but they did fine on the ride. It "bumps a little" but it's not rough and you might even can mention this to your driver (esp. if you have to wait for a 'special car' ) of the "car" they may have some control over how fast you go , etc...
You will definately need an ECV - this park is hugh! Lion king show was pretty good and the dinosaur ride excellent (although certainly more rough than Safari).

I ride in a regular Safari truck. I leave my ECV at the boarding area and it is at the disembark area at the end. I can walk very short distances so I don't use the ECV/WC vehicles but I walk on board. I think this saves time because I board the next available truck. Try to sit up front if the bumps bother you.
Have agreat time.

Nanajo DVC 8/98

Offsite 5/78
Contemp 11/85
BWV 3/99
OKW 11/99
BWV 3/01
OKW 11/01

I think when it is not busy they may board everyone at the same boarding area and just have you stay on thru where everyone else exits and get off at the entrance. We have done that on the safari ride. Most times we have boarded at a separate boarding area for people in wheelchairs and ecvs. It is very close to the regular boarding area. Where ever you get on, you leave your ecv there and they will bring you back to the same spot to get off. ECVs can't go on the ride cars; wheelchairs can.
The ride itself is a little bumpy, but not that bad.
I think someone might have told you about the train that goes to Conservation Station. Wheelchairs can ride on that, but ecvs can't. You get off the train at a certain point and have to walk a fair way to the actual buildings. There is a petting zoo there and some educational info about the park animals. You walk back to the train and ride it back to the station where you left the ecv. If she wants to ride that, they shouls have a wheelchair that she can temporarily trade her wheelchair for until yuou come back to the station.

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES

I went to the Conservation Station in March 1999.
I can't walk very far so I'm sure I took my
ECV on the train. If fact there were so many EVCs (3-4) that we had to wait for a second train on the return trip. Have things changed since then?

Nanajo DVC 8/98

Offsite 5/78
Contemp 11/85
BWV 3/99
OKW 11/99
BWV 3/01
OKW 11/01

No, you are right, Nanajo. The last time we were on it was before you were. At that time, wheelchairs could fit, but not ecv users had to transfer to a wheelchair to ride. I see now that it is listed in the Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities without that symbol for transferring.v

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES

I visited AK with my parents 2 years ago. Mom used an ECV and we had no trouble with the Safari ride. There was a separate entrance, we boarded and when we returned we were at the same spot we picked up. ECV was right there waiting.

We skipped Conservation station. Had seen it once before and it was something we did not need to see again. (Seemed more like a petting zoo than anything. definately not worth the long detour)

Have a good trip.

6 days and counting! :D

Jody ºOº
AS Sports January 2001
DL September 2000
AS Sports February 2000
ASM February 1999
DL September 1998

Sue,
I went to AK when it first opened and was able to take my ECV on the train to Conservation Station. It was a personal ECV not a rental from Disney. That may have been the difference.
I had the same experience at HISTA in EPCOT. They allowed me to remain in my ECV but asked a guest on a rental to transfer. Same at COP in MK

Pooh

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter