My Journey....Revisited (comments welcome)

Stinking rain again forced me to the treadmill, but I did knock out my 4 mile run this morning. I did some calculating and I think 1000 miles this year is realistic even without training for a full marathon. I will make that my goal, but secretly will settle for 900 miles this year. :)

Way to go! Looking forward to running our first marathons together! Even if you will finish hours ahead of me...

I think I got in about 800 miles of running/hiking this year. I didn't get up to my 20 miler in this training season, but got 17 due to the weeks lost with my knee injury. It will have to do!

I don't know about you but I am kinda glad for the taper as I am feeling a wee bit tired of running long distances. I think I am going to take January a little easy without really pushing myself and find my love again. I also have a HM in early March so I can't ease off too much.

If you see a woman of generous proportions with long brown hair and a white blaze at the front next week, say hi!

Way to go! Looking forward to running our first marathons together! Even if you will finish hours ahead of me...

I think I got in about 800 miles of running/hiking this year. I didn't get up to my 20 miler in this training season, but got 17 due to the weeks lost with my knee injury. It will have to do!

I don't know about you but I am kinda glad for the taper as I am feeling a wee bit tired of running long distances. I think I am going to take January a little easy without really pushing myself and find my love again. I also have a HM in early March so I can't ease off too much.

If you see a woman of generous proportions with long brown hair and a white blaze at the front next week, say hi!

I will definitely say hello! It's always nice to put a face to the name of the people you've known for so long, but never actually met. I've seen enough of your pics on your thread, I think I could recognize you. I'm in Corral C so I'll look out for you pre-race.

I am so with you on the taper! I felt almost burnt out on the long runs. I think it had more to do with the extra stress and hours from work + the holidays, but either way, I was glad to see it come. I was looking at this week's schedule and laughed. I told my wife so many people talk about fighting the urge to over-do it on the taper weeks. Other than the 12 mile run a few weekends ago, I haven't had to fight that at all. I've embraced the taper!

I have a half-marathon less than 2 months after this full marathon so I won't be able to take much time off; however I do plan on taking a few days completely off before slowly working back into my training for the half.

My 8 mile run Saturday was nice. I didn't overdo it. I finished with an average pace of 9:22. I did the first 1.5 miles with DW who was running at a 10:17 pace so I was definitely pleased with the avg. pace. I didn't try to do too much but I did push myself a little on the last 2 miles to give myself some sort of challenge.

Had a nice 3 mile run this morning. It was so nice running a full run with DW. Since I've been training, my runs have all been longer than distances she is currently running. Running with her also makes me take it easy and not go to fast the week of the big race. We talked the entire run. That's quality time if you ask me! Really looking forward to my little wimpy 2 miler tomorrow. :lmao:

I went out for a two miler yesterday and it was like walking to the convenience store and back. :cool1:

Ya'll are too funny. I just finished my W8D1 yesterday and I pushed to actually complete 2 miles. Felt like I was Rocky Balboa! ;)

As much as I hate the treadmill, I made myself run my 2 miler on it this morning to simulate some of the warmer temps I'll be encountering this weekend at the WDW Marathon. I ran it much faster than I would have normally run to get my heart rate and sweat going early on. I finished it in 17minutes which is close to 5k pace.

This will probably be my last update before the marathon! I have a 2 mile run to do Saturday morning, but I probably won't be accessing a computer after that as we're heading out to WDW that morning.

I can officially say I'm a marathoner now! Sunday sure was a hot one to complete it and I'm not sure who thought having all the hills and very little shade on the back end of the course after it was hot and everyone was tired, but whatever! :rotfl:

I enjoyed my experience for the most part. I started getting a little bit of cramping in my calves at mile 16. I wear compression sleeves on my calves because I've battled that before. I stopped at mile 17 to stretch and slip the sleeves down to relieve the pressure. It helped with the calf cramping; however my hamstrings started tightening up badly after that. I've never had issues with my hammies cramping during a run so this was a new, and uncomfortable experience. I spent the majority of the time in the WWOS walking and stretching. I tried running again in Champions stadium and made it all the way to the left-field bullpen before my calf siezed up. I walked it out for a while longer

I kept stretching, Bio-Freezing, hydrating, walking and a little running until I finally crossed the finish line at 5:36.38 (more than an hour slower than my modified goal pace), but I was proud to finish.

Today, I'm a little sore, but not nearly as bad as yesterday. I'm proud to have completed it. Now, the next few weeks I've got to slowly get myself ready for the Albany Half-Marathon on March 2nd. I ran that race last year and cramps forced my to finish 10 minutes slower than my goal pace. This year, I plan not only to finish in under 2 hours, but to PR. I was running half marathons in 1:57 during my marathon training, so I should be in excellent shape to do a 1:56 or better if I can get back out there slowly in the next few days. I plan on taking it easy though for at least 2-3 weeks.

I'm on the fence on whether or not I'll attempt another full marathon. I'm leaning against it only because I can comfortably run a half so fast w/o any walking. Of course, I'm super competitive and love to push myself so my wife says I'll be back at WDW next year. We'll see. As Coach has told me...."don't make any running decisions for at least 3 weeks after the marathon". I'm counting down the days!

I can officially say I'm a marathoner now! Sunday sure was a hot one to complete it and I'm not sure who thought having all the hills and very little shade on the back end of the course after it was hot and everyone was tired, but whatever! :rotfl:

I enjoyed my experience for the most part. I started getting a little bit of cramping in my calves at mile 16. I wear compression sleeves on my calves because I've battled that before. I stopped at mile 17 to stretch and slip the sleeves down to relieve the pressure. It helped with the calf cramping; however my hamstrings started tightening up badly after that. I've never had issues with my hammies cramping during a run so this was a new, and uncomfortable experience. I spent the majority of the time in the WWOS walking and stretching. I tried running again in Champions stadium and made it all the way to the left-field bullpen before my calf siezed up. I walked it out for a while longer

I kept stretching, Bio-Freezing, hydrating, walking and a little running until I finally crossed the finish line at 5:36.38 (more than an hour slower than my modified goal pace), but I was proud to finish.

Today, I'm a little sore, but not nearly as bad as yesterday. I'm proud to have completed it. Now, the next few weeks I've got to slowly get myself ready for the Albany Half-Marathon on March 2nd. I ran that race last year and cramps forced my to finish 10 minutes slower than my goal pace. This year, I plan not only to finish in under 2 hours, but to PR. I was running half marathons in 1:57 during my marathon training, so I should be in excellent shape to do a 1:56 or better if I can get back out there slowly in the next few days. I plan on taking it easy though for at least 2-3 weeks.

I'm on the fence on whether or not I'll attempt another full marathon. I'm leaning against it only because I can comfortably run a half so fast w/o any walking. Of course, I'm super competitive and love to push myself so my wife says I'll be back at WDW next year. We'll see. As Coach has told me...."don't make any running decisions for at least 3 weeks after the marathon". I'm counting down the days!

Congratulations on being a marathoner!!!!!!!!

Congratulations! You DID IT!

My finish time was more than an hour off my modified time too. Dang heat and humidity.

I've never been more eager to get on a treadmill than I was this morning! I did an easy 1 mile run on the treadmill just to shake the cobwebs loose post-marathon. It was effortless and I felt good. I ran it in 9:55 so I wasn't exactly pushing the pace, but I wasn't walking either. It felt really, really good to run again. I'll do a conservative run Saturday of maybe 3-4 miles easy.

Any idea why you started cramping so badly? Do you use Gu or SportBeans or anything like that? It almost sounds like you hit some sort of electrolyte shortage and your leg muscles revolt!

Congrats on finishing your marathon ... and best wishes on your Albany HM.

Try trail running ... definitely different than road racing/running ... and it mixes things up a bit so you don't get "bored" with your running. I hadn't run any trail races until last summer, and I've done 3 so far (none of marathon distance though). I absolutely love it.

Any idea why you started cramping so badly? Do you use Gu or SportBeans or anything like that? It almost sounds like you hit some sort of electrolyte shortage and your leg muscles revolt!

Congrats on finishing your marathon ... and best wishes on your Albany HM.

Try trail running ... definitely different than road racing/running ... and it mixes things up a bit so you don't get "bored" with your running. I hadn't run any trail races until last summer, and I've done 3 so far (none of marathon distance though). I absolutely love it.

I'm almost positive my cramping has been a direct result of underhydration. Since I've only ever trained during cold months, I have had to intake little fluids. During my 20 mile training run for the marathon, I barely drank my 2-8oz. Fuel Belt bottles. Obviously, 16oz. for a 20 mile run is not alot if the temps are high.

I bought 2 additional bottles yesterday to try to re-program myself to drink more fluids. I use Clif Shot Bloks for fueling as beans are too aggravating to me and gels are gross. :rotfl:

When I train, I usually drink Gatorade and my Shot Bloks have electrolytes so I don't think that is the problem. I think it's nothing more than needing additional fluids.

I do run some on trails now. I enjoy it. The place I do my long run training at is a city Riverwalk and there are a few trails off the paved Riverwalk that I hit while doing long run training. There is also a nice trail at a local college that I enjoy running.

It's been a few days since my last update. I was out of town for work. I've been taking it easy the past few weeks post-marathon. I have been running though. Last Saturday, DW and I did a 4.25 mile run at a nice leisurely pace. I was in west TX/NM this week for work and finally got to run Wednesday. I was staying with my brother while out there and he lives on the side of a mountain. Since I was so eager to run, I headed out a little too quick UP the mountain! I ended up doing 2.7 miles in 25 minutes. The altitude, quick pace, and running up the mountain got to me much quicker than I would have liked so I decided not to push it any further than that.

I got home yesterday afternoon and did a nice 4 mile run with DW. I plan on resuming my half-marathon training for the Albany Half on March 2nd. I plan on not pushing it too hard tomorrow (maybe something around a 9:30 pace) for my scheduled 9 mile run. I'll probably wait until next Saturday's run before I resume running at half-marathon pace for training runs.

Had a great weekend. The weather was perfect this weekend. We had alot going on between running, hair cuts, feeding the homeless with some friends from church, church and taking our kids and dogs to the park Sunday, but I found time to get 8 miles in Saturday morning. I ran it at half-marathon pace and felt really good. No heavy legs or soreness. I'll continue to take it relatively easy on my runs this week. This Saturday's run, I'll push the pace a little in building up for the half marathon in a few weeks.

The best part of the entire weekend was yesterday afternoon. My DD11 signed up for the middle school track team and has her first official practive today. She's never run much and only did one race (5k last summer in about 45 minutes), but I've always told her she has the perfect frame for running. She's tall with long, slender legs and I feel she could be really good at it with some work.

She did a mile yesterday with DW and I and I was so proud of her. She ran 1/4 mile continuously without walking and then took short walk breaks mixed with running to finish out the mile run. Her time wasn't horrible (especially for 1st time and run/walk), but most of all, she was proud of herself and encouraged to do more. It was a happy moment for DW and I.

Had a nice 3.22 mile run this morning. I'm still taking it relatively easy post-marathon as far as pace is concerned although I did do my 8 mile weekend run at 9mm pace. It was perfect weather this morning and I really enjoyed the light mist. Made it feel really good. My headlamp didn't care for it, but it was a good morning for a run.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter