My husband says Coronado Springs was awful

Miss Inga Depointe

DIS Veteran
Granted, he might have been telling me that since I didn't get to go, but he had many details. He said it was dirty and shabby, the worst he's ever seen at WDW (and we've stayed alot of places.)

Is he fibbing so that I won't wish I'd been there, or is it true? :scratchin

well, I have stayed 3 times at Coronado and only had great experiences. It was always very clean, but it has been a couple of years. Perhaps someone who has been recently can fill you in??

Mara

We stayed there a few years ago and we also thought the rooms were pretty shabby and dirty. I don't remember what building we stayed in. I also hated how spread out everything was.

In all fairness though I am biased against the resort because we all got terribly sick there and we were stuck in a room for a day and a half. I will say housekeeping and management was great about getting a paramedic out there to see our son when he got really sick. Housekeeping brought us a big stack of towels for sickness. In fact, it seemed like seconds after we called 911 a lifeguard rushed to our room, just to see what he could do until help arrived. The manager called several times to check on us--so that was great. But as far rooms, I feel like if I'm going to have an outside door and double beds I may as well have a value, although we do love POR. It was also a looooong way to the bus stop from our room at CSR.

marj70 said:
But as far rooms, I feel like if I'm going to have an outside door and double beds I may as well have a moderate. It was also a looooong way to the bus stop from our room.

CS is a moderate?? Did you mean value?

Anyway, I don't like this resort but I don't find it shabby... I just don't like the theming (It's hot in Florida already why stay in the desert LOL!) and I find the layout VERY confusing....I do stay there if I need internet access for work, but I understand that Disney is in the process of putting that in ALL the hotels FINALLY!

I just got back from a 4 night stay at CSR. I have to say that if you check out my signature, you will see that I am a deluxe girl! :sunny: With that being said, the only problem I had with Coronado was the size of the rooms. I am so used to the deluxe sized rooms that it was significantly smaller for us and we had to get used to the double beds instead of queen sized beds. My only negative.

We were assigned to Cabanas 8A with a waterview that was a complimentary upgrade. The condition of the room was very good. The furniture, bedspread and draperies were not worn at all. The carpet was very clean. Mousekeeping kept the room very clean. The Dig Site was a lot of fun. My children enjoyed it. The pool slide was fun, not the Keister Roller Coaster, but still lots of fun for them. The pool is very big which was a plus. Lots of room for people to spread out. The pool bar was nice and I liked how they had a cart for sellling magazines and books and other pool paraphanalia. We bought the mugs and used them again and again while we were there.

The grounds were absolutely lovely. As pretty as any that I have seen at a deluxe. Very pretty at night too. It is just a different theme that has to be appreciated for it's own uniqueness.

We loved the Pepper Market! Being on the dining plan, it was a great place to eat. The food was delicious and you got plenty of it. We ate there 3 times on the meal plan.

The main building is kept up beautifully. Inside, the stone ceramic floor is gorgeous. Very Spanish. They keep it up beautifully, like it is their crown jewel. I couldn't believe how nice the ceramic floor is especially with all of the foot traffic. I need to know what they use on it, so I can apply it to my own ceramic tile floor in my kitchen. ;)

I found every cm that I encountered at the CSR to be very friendly and very helpful if I needed assistance.

There is a big difference between a moderate and a deluxe. Those of you who are usually deluxe and staying at a moderate will be in for a little shock, but once you get over that, things are fine. I allowed myself to appreciate what this resort had to offer. If another good deal came along again, (like free dining) I would stay at CSR again. Or if we were going for a long weekend in addition to our regular trip, I would stay here again in a heartbeat. I am glad that I experienced it.

Also, the buses were great. We did not wait longer than 5 minutes for any bus, no matter where we went. I liked how the buses went straight to their destination and did not stop at other resorts. CSR has that over some other deluxes.

Over all: very good trip! :flower:

wdwfan, Thank you for the wonderful post. We leave in 8, did you hear that 8!!!!! days!!!!!! And your post has really gotten me off to a great start this morning. :flower3:

We just returned, and I didn't see dirty and shabby. As a matter of fact, the days we were there they were power washing Casita 5 and had about six people scrubbing the outside of El Centro with rags and mops. Some child had taken a crayon and scribbled graffiti on the columns of a walkway going from El Centro to Casitas half way through our stay, so maybe your husband saw that. My husband had a meeting with about 300 attendees and people overwhelmingly liked the place. There was also a conference of opera singers who were staying there, so you could hear opera being sung throughout the corridors and in one part of the conference area during the day. Plus, the towel animals were absolute works of art. We had 5 towel animals in our room on the first day, and the maid thanked us for our daily tips. Our rooms were also very nice, but I could see where they might want to do some touch ups on the furniture and replace a few items, but we had suites and I think some of the rooms are already being re-habbed. Anyone know for sure?

The only issue I had was how hot it was and how far away the main pool was from our room in Casita 1. The shuttle didn't run dependably during the first few days of our stay, but they had two running toward the end. Anyway, I thought the place was great! I liked it much, much more than POR. It had a more deluxe resort feel, more along the lines of the Boardwalk area. I thought it was truly a beautiful place, and I'm pretty picky. I was also surprised at the partial tree-top view CSR had of both the MK and Epcot fireworks. Oh, and the full moon just added to the beautiful atmosphere.

I've had issues with this resort on past visits (stayed there 3 times). However, my last stay was pretty good. The theme is good, the food is good, the shop's pretty good and it's centrally located in WDW. Overall, I felt that the resort's too spread out and 2 of the 3 rooms we had were pretty beat up. Of the 4 moderates, I would rank this one at the bottom - just my opinion. :earsgirl:

momof2inPA said:
There was also a conference of opera singers who were staying there, so you could hear opera being sung throughout the corridors and in one part of the conference area during the day.

A conference of opera singers! How wonderful and romantic that had to be. I'm an opera nut so I would be in heaven! :love:

I think he's just trying to not have you kill him when he returns home for being so selfish.

Miss Inga Depointe said:
Granted, he might have been telling me that since I didn't get to go, but he had many details. He said it was dirty and shabby, the worst he's ever seen at WDW (and we've stayed alot of places.)

Is he fibbing so that I won't wish I'd been there, or is it true? :scratchin

We stayed at CSR in July and would agree with your husband's comment ~~
we also had some other issues with our rooms that were never fully resolved during our stay.

We have stayed at all of the mods and all of the deluxes except CR and GF and would return to any of them except CSR.

Hmmm...sounds a little suspicious. We were quite impressed by CSR at the end of May. This was after spending the previous 8 days at AKL, which we also enjoyed.

Our family has stayed at CSR on 3 occasions. I had always been exceptionally pleased with the resort until our last stay. Now mind you, we had moved from AKL to CSR (we had a planned, split-stay), so maybe a bit of a letdown there, but our room left a great deal to be desired!

After a great deal of assistance from the CM at check-in, we were finally assigned to a room in Cabanas and "upgraded" to waterview. Unfortunately, our "non-smoking room" had obviously been used as an ashtray by dozens of its previous guests! Our roomed reeked of cigarette smoke. In addition, the wallpaper was peeling, the headboard of our bed had fallen off the wall and was simply propped against it, furnishings were in poor shape, floors were dirty, and the bathroom was just plain disgusting.

As for the rest of the resort, it is breathtakingly beautiful in my opinion. We had no problems whatsoever with anything else about the resort except our room. My kids absolutely love the Dig Site pool--they don't want to stay anywhere else! However, I don't think I will be returning to this resort again unless we simply can't afford to stay elsewhere.

I think if we had gotten a room that hadn't smelled of smoke, I might not have been so apt to notice all the other things that were wrong with the room. I was very unhappy with it and probably tended to view things more negatively because of it. However, it left at very bad taste in my mouth, and I don't want to return.

Sounds like from the other posts, that some rooms are in better shape than others.

--dizneyfan

We like deluxe, but we have stayed at CSR several times and thought it was very nice. Shabby? I don't think so. :earsboy:

He said it was dirty and shabby

I've stayed there twice and this was my opinion as well. I will never stay there again. I have stayed at POR twice as well and loved every minute of it and plan another stay in October.

I truly believe hotel preferences are just that - personal preferences. Prior to staying at the CSR we always stayed at Deluxes. Poly, WL, AKL, CR. Well we fell in love with the CSR, so we tried the POFQ and surprise, loved it also. I really don't think we will go back to a Deluxe any time soon...well maybe the CR...but honestly in all the times we have gone to Disney World, no matter which hotel...we have never had a bad stay!!!!!!!!

We stayed at CSR last August and we thought it was great!! Loved it. We were in Cabana 9b (I think). Our room was in good shape, no problems at all. We thought the grounds were beautiful. Shabby, uh, don't think so!

Their rooms must be hit or miss then because our room actually had worn paths through the carpet where people walk from the door to the bathroom and to the beds. It was AWFUL!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter