My first trip to WDW: orange alert and flying

Angelcatsmom

Mouseketeer
Has anyone flown when there was an "orange alert"? What should I expect?

For one thing, the foot powder stays home. Can I still pack scissors in my checked luggage with no problem tho?

Leslie

There really is not a big difference between the orange alert and the yellow alert from the flying point of view.

At orange they tend to serach cars coming into the airport and I guess they are suppose to search the passengers more thourghly, but it looks the same to me. It is pretty through every time now. At orange they are more likely to make you take your shoes off and let them do the explosive test. So wear nice socks!

Just put your foot powder in a zip lock bag and in your checked baggage. It should not be a problem, same for the scissors. As long as they are in the checked luggage no problem. (My mom once bought home some GIANT yard shears from Europe in her checked bags. When the security guy asked if there was anything in her luggage that could be considered a weapon I burst out laughing. As long as she checked them it was no problem!)

Thanks Carol! Someone had a link to the Federal guidelines on another part of the Dis. I took a look at it and determined that nothing I will have in either bag will be prohibited.

Leslie (who hates stinky feet!)

I fly a ton. You will be fine. The one tip I can offer is to take a second before going through security and place all your valuables i.e. cell phone, watch, wallet, rings, etc. in a ziploc bag and place it in your carry on. Only leave your ID and ticket with you. That way, you do not have to deal with it sitting out in the open if you set off the metal detector. If the metal detector goes off, you will be stopped and searched.

Once you clear security, stop and put yourself back together. Have a fun trip!!!!

-Chuck

I flew down to Florida in February during an Orange Alert and to be honest I didn't see much difference from when I flew last March. Like a previous poster said, they do tend to search cars entering the parking areas.

Since the new airport security has taken hold they pretty much do a very good search of everyone no matter what level the alert status is.

One word of advice, try not to wear pants with zippers. MY 13 yo DS had the type of pants on that zippered off to shorts and he set off the metal detector. They practically made him strip before they realized it was the hidden zippers. One odd thing I found is that they make you take off your shoes and slip them through the detectors only if you are wearing shoes. Sneakers didn't seem much of a problem and we weren't required to remove them.

I was in WDW when the orange alert came out in February & also took a business trip the following week. Didn't notice much difference. I think since TSA took over, security is more centralized. They no longer do gate checks.

Leslie,
Noticed you are from Lawrence. If you are flying out of Kansas City, give yourself lot's of time. Because of the way the airport is set up I find security takes a little longer than other airports. Also lot's of construction still going on.

Carole

I flew today. The only difference I noticed was that the overhead announcements kept telling us we were at Orange and that luggage should NOT be left unattended. Last week the announcement just said luggage should not be left unattended. Not sure what the big addition of the Orange statement did for us!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter