My First Fondant

Thank you so much...I had a pretty good idea what it was made of, but wasn't sure how it tasted. I even thought I remembered seeing a Food network show once where a wedding cake had fondant and it was taken off beofre it was eaten :confused3

Those are beautiful cakes. Thanks for the info about choco-pan I don't like the taste of fondant. I will have to try choco-pan. My favorite website for cake decorating stuff and ideas is http://sugarcraft.com you can get lost there if you scroll down to "lessons" there are recipes for fillings and frostings, etc.

mickeymousemom said:
Thank you so much...I had a pretty good idea what it was made of, but wasn't sure how it tasted. I even thought I remembered seeing a Food network show once where a wedding cake had fondant and it was taken off beofre it was eaten :confused3

I know that Disney and some other places will take the fondant off before you eat it...it's strictly decorative (but it's edible...you can eat it if you want...)

Disney puts a layer of buttercream (and OMG what buttercream! I never eat frosting-it's too sweet-but I ate this one) underneath and lays the fondant on top, so when they take it off to serve, you still have frosting...

I can attest that the Wilton fondant is icky...it's edible, just doesn't taste very good! I recently did my final in my cakes class and had to use a ton of black fondant...my instructor brought in her choco-pan in black...OMG!!! It smells and tastes like chocolate!!!!! The cake I did didn't turn out as well as I would have liked, but it was just a practice run before my brother's wedding. I didn't take a picture...otherise i would post it. But the cake is a two tiered cake...the bottom tier is supposed to look like a tire. The choco-pan worked beautifully!

There's also a way to make your own fondant using marshmallows. If anyone would like the recipe...I can see if I can dig it out for you...

You can flavor the Wilton fondant. I use the lor-ann (I think that's how it's spelled) oils. Just a drop at a time...I use peppermint in it during the holidays! But just a warning...cotton candy flavoring makes it just too sweet...lol.

I've got some pictures on my camera somewhere...I'll have to see if I can move them over and post some more pictures for you!

Sugarcraft is awesome! My other favorite site is www.countrykitchensa.com ...they have EVERYTHING!!

mickeymousemom said:

There may have been a certain ingredient in the Fondon that may have been bitter. It is normally eaten though.. :confused3 :goodvibes

cryssi said:
I know that Disney and some other places will take the fondant off before you eat it...it's strictly decorative (but it's edible...you can eat it if you want...)

Disney puts a layer of buttercream (and OMG what buttercream! I never eat frosting-it's too sweet-but I ate this one) underneath and lays the fondant on top, so when they take it off to serve, you still have frosting...

Actually, I think it was a special on Disney weddings that I saw this...that's when I became confused because I had always thought it to be edible...thanks!

And to the poster who has a recipe for a fondant made with marshmallows...I'd love to have it... :goodvibes

Very nice job on your first fondant! :cheer2: Keep up the good work!

Fondant is edible but I would only eat it if it was paper thin.

Scarlett where are you attending school? :teacher:

Montana Chef said:
Scarlett where are you attending school? :teacher:
I am just attending my local Ivy Tech State College. It's actually a pretty good program...so far! I love my classes and am so looking forward to diving into the chocolate classes!

I'll see if I can scare up the mashmallow fondant recipe for you...I'll be back!

sweet! :) I can't wait to try this, it sounds so easy and yummy... :thumbsup2

thanks! :goodvibes

I made a watermelon cake for the 4th:

47b6d927b3127cce8afbb6178e5d00000016108AZMmzNs4cOE

I'll have to get the pics for the inside...they're on the other camera...

very cute!!

I just did my brother's wedding cakes...I'll have to post them for you...I'll do that tomorrow!

cool! can't wait to see your pics...

oh, I used the marshmallow fondant for my cake, and colored with Americolor gel. :thumbsup2

Here is the cake I did for the rehearsal dinner...the bride's favorite driver is poised to cross the finish line...whereas the groom's drivers...well, they didn't fare well...lol...the cake was a yellow cake with a Bailey's mousse filling.
rehearsalcake1-large.jpg

This was the main wedding cake...it was for display purposes only though. It was all styrofoam! I had a little 6 in cake tucked away for them to actually cut into for pictures...
weddingcake3-large.jpg

This was the groom's cake. Again, it was all styrofoam as well! The bottom tier was supposed to look like a tire...
groomscake1-large.jpg

A close up of the bottom tier...
groomscake2-large.jpg

And we did serve REAL cake! We did sheet cakes...I made 2 champagne cakes with a strawberry filling...a lemon cake with a cream cheese filling...and a chocolate cake with a chocolate filling! All flavors were a big hit!
sheetcakes3-large.jpg

sheetcakes4-large.jpg

The reason I went with styrofoam for the main cakes was purely convenience. I live 2 hours away and wanted to do most of the work in my own kitchen. With real cakes, I was petrified of transporting them and then setting them up. So instead, I did most of the work at home...I baked the sheet cakes at home...and then when I got to where I was staying for the few days prior to the festivities, I decorated the sheet cakes, groom's cake, and added the finishing touches to the display cakes. It worked out perfectly!

Love the wedding cakes...that styrofoam really comes in handy! But I understand completely about the distance. I am 60 miles from the nearest town so .... I invested in a couple of catering carrier boxes & they have saved my cakes every time I'm sure! Especially since I drive a large dually pick-up truck! Lots of bouncing there!

Love the watermelon cake!!!! How cute! Can't wait to see the interior! You did an excellent job there!

Happy baking everyone!

Brandie - great job! I love the rehearsal cake, I'm cracking up here! I aspire to make more cool cakes... :)

Montana Chef - can't wait to see some of your work! pastry chef and chocolatier...my dream job...LOL

well, I suppose it doesn't really look like a watermelon, but not bad for my first try anyway...

47b6d928b3127cce8a9578a8c19b00000016108AZMmzNs4cOE

47b6d928b3127cce8a95796a81c100000016108AZMmzNs4cOE

That is very cute!!!! I need to try that one of these days...:)

Thanks for the compliments! I'm getting better and more adventurous in what I do with my cakes. This time last year, I wouldn't have even considered trying to make a cake look like a tire!!

Great cakes everyone! I've done many fondant cakes over the years. I tried the Wilton fondant once, but I always make my own now and quite like the taste of it. If I get the chance, I'll look up the recipe and post it for you to try.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter