My First Ever Solo Trip... Where To Eat That's Not QS?

IvyWinter

Mouseketeer
So, Jetblue had a CRAZY sale today, $29 flights on the 29th of February, so I had to jump on one out to Orlando, naturally! I'm just going for 3 days from NYC (29th to march 2nd). It's my 11th trip but first one ever solo. In fact, it's my first trip ANYWHERE solo and I'm excited if a little nervous. I do have friends who are CMs who I will see in the evenings, like post 6pm. But otherwise, on my own! I want to eat in places that aren't jus QS but that are comfortable for a single person. Any suggestions? I know there's a few places with bars/counters to sit at, like Flying Fish for one. Does 50s Prime Time have a bar, and do they serve the full menu there? Any other recommendations? I did get a lunch reservation for Be Our Guest since thats technically QS and i think ill be fine there solo.

Also, being one person, will i have a better time of trying to walk up to a place without a reservation? Or is that bunk?

aaaah so excited, but so nervous!

Yes, you could order off the full menu at the Prime Time bar, which is called the Tune-In Lounge.

I especially enjoyed my solo dinner at Artist Point last summer. I hadn't requested a particular seating area, but they seated me by the window with a great view of the geyser!

Also had a solo late breakfast at Captain's Grille. There weren't many guests near the end of breakfast time, so it was very laid back.

As for walking up with no reservation, it depends on the restaurant and other variables. I've successfully done this on occasion, but if you have your heart set on a particular restaurant, especially the more popular ones, then it seems safer to pre-book (unless you're not sure you'd really show up for the meal).

This is super helpful! So i was able to make a reservation for 1 for prime time; will they automatically put me at the bar or will they put me at a table?

I was thinking of walking up for sci-fi dine in (instead of the prime time cafe reservation i have) but i also know with the seating, it may be difficult for one person.

Prime Time would put you at a table unless you ask to be seated at the bar. And you don't need a reservation for the bar seating. It's first come, first served.

Sci-Fi is very popular, so it's a gamble to walk up there without a reservation. They might be able to put you in the back of someone else's car, or at one of the "flying saucer" tables at the back. Then again, they may be so packed that they can't seat you at all. If you can get a Sci-Fi reservation, it's better to show up with one. Or, you could cancel Prime Time, try walking up at Sci-Fi, and if they can't find a spot for you at Sci-Fi, you could still go to the bar seating at Tune-In Lounge.

I've never chanced it as a walk-up even as a solo if I want to go somewhere to eat. I have been able to get next day or even day-of ADRs using the MDE app. SciFi is one place I personally would never do solo. I hate that they call people put in the car of another party "hitchhikers" - the connotation there is IMHO NOT very "Disney" and I'm surprised they get away with it. At the very least IMHO it's not solo friendly. I'd rather go somewhere I'll be treated well and given my own table like any other party dining there.

Anywhere is fine for solo dining, I go to HBD every time I'm there solo (or with my son too for that matter). Sci-fi you'll have better luck walking up for lunch, just go about a half hour before it opens and they have a list they will put you on. If you tell them you want to be at one of the tables in the back they'll gladly put you there. Tune in lounge is fun but can get really packed. I've never had any problems making a solo ADR and if pushed you can make one for 2, you won't be charged and since I've never seen a one top in any restaurant they are going to have to use a two top anyway. If you have never eaten out solo, I'd recommend you do a few "practice" runs while you are still at home, going to places you are familiar with just to see how it goes. I always have my kindle ap on my phone and read while I eat, I've always received good service when travelling solo, sometimes too good with the Chef coming out and the wait staff paying too much attention, I just want to tell them I'm fine leave me alone and let me eat for goodness sake.

Agree with the other PPs -- for solo dining, any place is fine! Just go where you want to eat. I do think ADRs are a good idea, unless you plan to eat at the bar.

So, Jetblue had a CRAZY sale today, $29 flights on the 29th of February, so I had to jump on one out to Orlando, naturally! I'm just going for 3 days from NYC (29th to march 2nd). It's my 11th trip but first one ever solo. In fact, it's my first trip ANYWHERE solo and I'm excited if a little nervous. I do have friends who are CMs who I will see in the evenings, like post 6pm. But otherwise, on my own! I want to eat in places that aren't jus QS but that are comfortable for a single person. Any suggestions? I know there's a few places with bars/counters to sit at, like Flying Fish for one. Does 50s Prime Time have a bar, and do they serve the full menu there? Any other recommendations? I did get a lunch reservation for Be Our Guest since thats technically QS and i think ill be fine there solo.

Also, being one person, will i have a better time of trying to walk up to a place without a reservation? Or is that bunk?

aaaah so excited, but so nervous!
I rarely make reservations and have been able to get seated at a table as a single person, but sometimes there's a wait. I agree with others that you should eat wherever you want. My personal favorites are Tokyo Dining in Epcot and Yak & Yeti in AK.

I loved going solo. I'd just walk up and see if they had any seating available. If they didn't, I moved on to the next place!

I'm more of QS guy myself, so it was super easy, unless I had a craving for a sit down meal.

I ate ate Boma solo in December, I find buffets work well. But as someone else said, eat where you want, who cares if you're dining alone?

Thanks everyone, all great tips. I just made a lunch reservation for Coral Reef which im so excited about as ive never eaten there before. Excited about this trip!

SciFi is one place I personally would never do solo. I hate that they call people put in the car of another party "hitchhikers" - the connotation there is IMHO NOT very "Disney" and I'm surprised they get away with it. At the very least IMHO it's not solo friendly. I'd rather go somewhere I'll be treated well and given my own table like any other party dining there.
I agree that Sci-Fi can be awkward for solos, and I agree that the "hitchhiker" term comes across as negative, like you're somehow less important. Whoever thought of it probably meant it to be funny and to fit the theme, but it does seem sort of demeaning. If they put you in the back of another party's car, it could be OK if the people are polite, but it's awkward when the toddler keeps turning around and staring at you. I do understand that they don't want to give you a whole car to yourself and leave empty rows when the place is usually packed. Best bet for a solo there is either to request one of the flying saucer tables in the back, or to arrange a meetup there with another solo. Otherwise you're taking your chances on the behavior of the people in the car with you. You do at least get your own row.

I'm also doing a solo trip (at the same time, coincidentally) and trying places that my normal park buddy wouldn't be interested in. In the past I've found getting ADRs for 2 was pretty easy (even a few hour before). I'm assuming that it'll be the same for a single person.

So I think a great place to eat solo is at biergarten in Epcot. Great atmosphere and you are seated at a table with other people so it's a great way to meet and chat with people from around the country. perfect place to be solo IMHO. They also have musicians that play and stuff. Lots of fun!

The majority of my trips have been solo with 1 TS a day. I can't think of a single place where I felt out of place being a solo diner. The only semi-awkward experiences I have had have been at character meals and trying to get my picture taken with the character. I enjoy eating at busy places as it provides a level of entertainment while I'm waiting for my meal.

I enjoy checking out the resort lounges when dining solo.

I did a chef's table dinner at Flying Fish solo, which was great because I was seated with other people and quickly made friends.

I walked up to HBD Lounge outside and was seated right away at DHS.

I find buffets a little awkward solo, just because I have to leave the table and take my purse, so the server could think that I've left. Still, I may have to do Boma solo this next trip!

Enjoy your trip! That's an amazing deal on JetBlue, wow!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter