My Experience at the Polynesian

Status
Not open for further replies.

calismic

DIS Veteran
I have been holding off on writing this, however after giving Disney several months to do the right thing, and being repeatedly ignored, I have decided to share my story with the wonderful folks here at DIS. First let me state, I love the resort, I love Disney, I am just very unhappy with their response to the safety of their guests and I want to warn others to be cautious in their rooms.

My husband and I journeyed to the World' April 17th of this year with our 5 year old daughter and 4 month old son. We stayed 3 nights at the Polynesian and for the bulk of our trip the hotel was incredible. We had a great room, great view, and were well attended. Our 3rd night, we arrived at the hotel roughly around 8PM to change clothes and head to Magic Kingdom to enjoy the Fireworks and Parade. My daughter went into the restroom and my husband walked in behind her. Both had taken off their shoes when walking into the room. As my daughter sat down on the toilet, my husband yelled for her not to move. Sensing something was wrong, I ran over to the restroom. My husband had stepped on something quite sharp and his foot was bleeding heavily. He remained calm, grabbed a number of towels and was able to get the bleeding under control.

I headed to the phone and called the front desk. I explained what happened and that we needed medical attention. They offered to send an ambulance but my husband felt antiseptic and a bandage would be sufficient. He sat down to look at this foot and found a small shard of glass had gone straight into his heel. (There was a LOT of blood for such a tiny puncture) He was able to pull it out but that of course caused more bleeding. Within 5 minutes one of the front desk staff had come up with a first aid kit and we got his foot situated. The front desk attendant left with nothing other than a sorry.

When everything was calmed down, I grabbed a flash light and started looking at the floor. There were small glittering shards of glass scattered on the bathroom floor and front entrance carpet. We did not, I repeat did NOT break anything our entire stay. We had not been in our room from early morning until we returned at 8PM. I called the front desk again and asked to speak with management. I relayed the story and explained there was glass all over. The manager was quite nice, but other than multiple apologies they offered to do NOTHING. After spending 15 minutes on my hands and knees cleaning up glass, I finally had enough.

This time I marched down to the front desk and asked that they PLEASE send up someone to clean up the glass. He said he would have housekeeping up immediately. The woman who arrived was appalled. She kept repeating how there was glass everywhere and how embarrassing it was that this could happen. After she vacuumed the room several times, she scooped up the towels that had been quite blood stained by my husbands foot and stated she was taking them to her manager. She was about as angry as we were! Her belief was that one of the house keepers dropped a glass, and instead of cleaning it up properly, simply used a dust pan and then proceeded to walk over the remaining shards, crushing them further and scattering them to the carpet.

By the time our room was finally cleaned, we had missed the parade and fireworks. My daughter was very upset by her daddy getting hurt and just wanted to go home. We got her situated and in bed (thankfully my 4 month old slept through everything) when I received a call from yet another manager, again apologizing for what happened, but offering nothing else. I asked the manager if anything was documented with housekeeping regarding a broken glass and she stated there was not. I asked if they were required to document any damage, she stated they were not. Needless to say I was not happy.

I spoke to 3 managers that evening, not a single one of them offered to change our room. Not a single one accepted responsibility. Other than the sorries, they treated us like WE had broken the glass. When we checked out the next morning, I made it very clear, again, to the desk manager that we had nothing to do with the glass on our floor. It was done by their housekeeping staff, and we were very upset that Disney offered to do nothing. When we returned home the very first thing I did was contact Disney Guest Services. I wrote a lengthy letter describing what had taken place. I explained very clearly that I was not asking for compensation. I was asking that Disney change their policies when anything is damaged in a room. I asked that the housekeeping staff be held accountable. I did not want to see this happen to another family. What if that glass shard had gone into my daughter's foot instead? What if I had placed my 4 month old on the floor to play!?

3 days passed before I heard a word. On the 4th day I received a response stating only that my e-mail had been forwarded to the "appropriate parties." I asked if she could be more specific and she said it would be handled by the Guest Claims Services. It took roughly 2 weeks for me to hear back from claims. They stated they were investigating the matter and would contact me again after reviewing the complaint with the Polynesian. Another 2 weeks passed when I received another notification asking why we did not fill out an accident report. I explained we were not GIVEN an accident report. I was not aware Disney had forms, and not a single one of the managers ever mentioned them. I "ASSUMED" my having spoken to 3 managers was enough report. Several days passed before I was then given a copy of the accident reports and asked to fill them out and mail them. I did so, at which point I never heard back from Disney.

I have left multiple voicemails and e-mails, still nothing. I have a case number with no employee willing to communicate with me. My case was assigned a representative who apparently does not exist, as she never answers her phone. I have a generic e-mail address that apparently drops all messages into the void. At this point it has been 3 months, and I am throwing in the towel. Again, I wasn't asking Disney for anything, other than consideration in changing their policies with housekeeping. It's very little to ask and being they are so into quality control you'd think this would be a give in.

So the moral of the story, BE CAREFUL with any breakables left in your room. Check the floors when housekeeping leaves. I've never worried about walking barefoot in a hotel room before now. Our next trip is in December and I'll be sure we keep our shoes on before performing a sweep! I'd ask that they not place glassware in our bathroom, but I'm fearful they'll just keep returning it when they come to clean the room. Disney is fantastic with guest complaints. Not happy with your service? Here's a free dessert on us. Had problems with transportation? Let us give you some fast passes. Injured? Sucks to be you!

think your issue qualities for a much bigger reward.

so sorry you went thru this - would definitely tell WDW the names of the mangers who did NOT give you the accident report. Something strange is going on - and really fell it is the insurance company that you have a problem with.

Just be aware that Disney monitors this site - too many times my complaints have been addressed before I even told DVC about them. So you probably will either get something (maybe a refund for the room) or they will call you shortly.

hope they do anyway.

That's terrible. Your kids could have been badly hurt. I would be LIVID. We had a bathtub and hot water issue at the Grand Floridan last December, and the front desk manager moved our room AND refunded me a full night. For a broken tub!

You did the right thing by going down to the front desk- calling does nothing bc you get transferred to a call center. That's a tip I learned from DIS and when we had the tub issue at 10pm at night, I went to the FD at the Grand Floridian.

Sorry that your husband stepped on a piece of glass, but if it had happened to us I would have only expected that the hotel send up someone with a vacuum cleaner immediately (other than the first aide offered). That would have been my immediate request, along with the first aide. Then, assuming no stitches were required, we would have gone about our lives.

I'm surprised they didn't come up to room immediately with a vacuum. That's very poor guest service. I never go barefoot at any hotel, Disney or otherwise. We wear flip flops around the room. Who knows what is in the carpet in hotel rooms.

I had a problem once with YC, and I emailed the General Manager and got a great response from her including her steps to prevent this issue from happening again. Was a different issue involving housekeeping. No injury involved.

so sorry to hear about what happened to you. i am also sorry to hear about the apathy you seemingly experienced coming from management. they should have been on this immediately to make it right, whether that involved medical help, a change of room etc. i also agree that there should be very specific rules in place for this type of occurance, ie if there is a hazard in the room, and housekeeping is aware of it, they should know exactly how to resolve it when it happens. when that glass was broken, that room should have been made safe and it was not. i would hope that disney addressed this so that it will not happen again in the future. disappointing, and this coming from a true disney fan : /

Sorry that your husband stepped on a piece of glass, but if it had happened to us I would have only expected that the hotel send up someone with a vacuum cleaner immediately (other than the first aide offered). That would have been my immediate request, along with the first aide. Then, assuming no stitches were required, we would have gone about our lives.
Agree. Sorry about your husband! I wouldn't have been happy either. I would have just informed th front desk and let it go. I can't imagine going through all you have to get a response. You said you weren't looking for compensation but I've never heard of anyone repeatedly contacting them over and over again and again. Time to move on. Was a small cut on a foot that has long healed.

Thanks for posting this. The Poly used to be my favorite Disney resort, but things like this and the overall homogenization of the resort for the DVC addition have dropped it way down for us. I'm sorry this happened to you, and I don't blame you for being upset that the incident happened in the first place or the CYA attitude of Disney in responding to it.

so sorry to hear about what happened to you. i am also sorry to hear about the apathy you seemingly experienced coming from management. they should have been on this immediately to make it right, whether that involved medical help, a change of room etc. i also agree that there should be very specific rules in place for this type of occurance, ie if there is a hazard in the room, and housekeeping is aware of it, they should know exactly how to resolve it when it happens. when that glass was broken, that room should have been made safe and it was not. i would hope that disney addressed this so that it will not happen again in the future. disappointing, and this coming from a true disney fan : /
How do we know that the previous visitor did not break something and clean it up themselves? Housekeeping may not even have known about this.

How do we know that the previous visitor did not break something and clean it up themselves? Housekeeping may not even have known about this.

... Our 3rd night, we arrived at the hotel roughly around 8PM to change clothes and head to Magic Kingdom to enjoy the Fireworks and Parade. My daughter went into the restroom and my husband walked in behind her. Both had taken off their shoes when walking into the room. As my daughter sat down on the toilet, my husband yelled for her not to move. Sensing something was wrong, I ran over to the restroom. My husband had stepped on something quite sharp and his foot was bleeding heavily. He remained calm, grabbed a number of towels and was able to get the bleeding under control. ...
With the rest of the description of glass shards on the bathroom floor and some shards on the carpet as well, I can't see how the OP would not have noticed that the previous 2 nights. Regardless, whether it was a previous guest or housekeeping that broke glass in there, it was housekeeping's responsibility to clean it up before it could endanger current guests.

I have been holding off on writing this, however after giving Disney several months to do the right thing, and being repeatedly ignored, I have decided to share my story with the wonderful folks here at DIS. First let me state, I love the resort, I love Disney, I am just very unhappy with their response to the safety of their guests and I want to warn others to be cautious in their rooms.

My husband and I journeyed to the World' April 17th of this year with our 5 year old daughter and 4 month old son. We stayed 3 nights at the Polynesian and for the bulk of our trip the hotel was incredible. We had a great room, great view, and were well attended. Our 3rd night, we arrived at the hotel roughly around 8PM to change clothes and head to Magic Kingdom to enjoy the Fireworks and Parade. My daughter went into the restroom and my husband walked in behind her. Both had taken off their shoes when walking into the room. As my daughter sat down on the toilet, my husband yelled for her not to move. Sensing something was wrong, I ran over to the restroom. My husband had stepped on something quite sharp and his foot was bleeding heavily. He remained calm, grabbed a number of towels and was able to get the bleeding under control.

I headed to the phone and called the front desk. I explained what happened and that we needed medical attention. They offered to send an ambulance but my husband felt antiseptic and a bandage would be sufficient. He sat down to look at this foot and found a small shard of glass had gone straight into his heel. (There was a LOT of blood for such a tiny puncture) He was able to pull it out but that of course caused more bleeding. Within 5 minutes one of the front desk staff had come up with a first aid kit and we got his foot situated. The front desk attendant left with nothing other than a sorry.

When everything was calmed down, I grabbed a flash light and started looking at the floor. There were small glittering shards of glass scattered on the bathroom floor and front entrance carpet. We did not, I repeat did NOT break anything our entire stay. We had not been in our room from early morning until we returned at 8PM. I called the front desk again and asked to speak with management. I relayed the story and explained there was glass all over. The manager was quite nice, but other than multiple apologies they offered to do NOTHING. After spending 15 minutes on my hands and knees cleaning up glass, I finally had enough.

This time I marched down to the front desk and asked that they PLEASE send up someone to clean up the glass. He said he would have housekeeping up immediately. The woman who arrived was appalled. She kept repeating how there was glass everywhere and how embarrassing it was that this could happen. After she vacuumed the room several times, she scooped up the towels that had been quite blood stained by my husbands foot and stated she was taking them to her manager. She was about as angry as we were! Her belief was that one of the house keepers dropped a glass, and instead of cleaning it up properly, simply used a dust pan and then proceeded to walk over the remaining shards, crushing them further and scattering them to the carpet.

By the time our room was finally cleaned, we had missed the parade and fireworks. My daughter was very upset by her daddy getting hurt and just wanted to go home. We got her situated and in bed (thankfully my 4 month old slept through everything) when I received a call from yet another manager, again apologizing for what happened, but offering nothing else. I asked the manager if anything was documented with housekeeping regarding a broken glass and she stated there was not. I asked if they were required to document any damage, she stated they were not. Needless to say I was not happy.

I spoke to 3 managers that evening, not a single one of them offered to change our room. Not a single one accepted responsibility. Other than the sorries, they treated us like WE had broken the glass. When we checked out the next morning, I made it very clear, again, to the desk manager that we had nothing to do with the glass on our floor. It was done by their housekeeping staff, and we were very upset that Disney offered to do nothing. When we returned home the very first thing I did was contact Disney Guest Services. I wrote a lengthy letter describing what had taken place. I explained very clearly that I was not asking for compensation. I was asking that Disney change their policies when anything is damaged in a room. I asked that the housekeeping staff be held accountable. I did not want to see this happen to another family. What if that glass shard had gone into my daughter's foot instead? What if I had placed my 4 month old on the floor to play!?

3 days passed before I heard a word. On the 4th day I received a response stating only that my e-mail had been forwarded to the "appropriate parties." I asked if she could be more specific and she said it would be handled by the Guest Claims Services. It took roughly 2 weeks for me to hear back from claims. They stated they were investigating the matter and would contact me again after reviewing the complaint with the Polynesian. Another 2 weeks passed when I received another notification asking why we did not fill out an accident report. I explained we were not GIVEN an accident report. I was not aware Disney had forms, and not a single one of the managers ever mentioned them. I "ASSUMED" my having spoken to 3 managers was enough report. Several days passed before I was then given a copy of the accident reports and asked to fill them out and mail them. I did so, at which point I never heard back from Disney.

I have left multiple voicemails and e-mails, still nothing. I have a case number with no employee willing to communicate with me. My case was assigned a representative who apparently does not exist, as she never answers her phone. I have a generic e-mail address that apparently drops all messages into the void. At this point it has been 3 months, and I am throwing in the towel. Again, I wasn't asking Disney for anything, other than consideration in changing their policies with housekeeping. It's very little to ask and being they are so into quality control you'd think this would be a give in.

So the moral of the story, BE CAREFUL with any breakables left in your room. Check the floors when housekeeping leaves. I've never worried about walking barefoot in a hotel room before now. Our next trip is in December and I'll be sure we keep our shoes on before performing a sweep! I'd ask that they not place glassware in our bathroom, but I'm fearful they'll just keep returning it when they come to clean the room. Disney is fantastic with guest complaints. Not happy with your service? Here's a free dessert on us. Had problems with transportation? Let us give you some fast passes. Injured? Sucks to be you!

First I'm sure that was truly upsetting for you and your family. Totally understand that and would have felt upset in your shoes as well.

That said, it may be that Disney didn't really respond much once you got home because what you're asking for (changing policies with housekeeping) is something They're probably never really going to give you. When I get complaints about employees or our processes, I cannot share feedback on specific policy changes we make as a result of discilplinary action in reference to employees. So that may be where you're hitting the wall. I take whatever action I need to take based on the information provided, but I can not ever share specifics with anyone outside of my HR partner or my management. All I can do is let the complainant know the issue was noted and that I'll take it from there. There may also be a reluctance to take full responsibility on their part because the housekeeper who came to your room to vacuum seemed to be speculating about how the glass got there. Absent proof or an admittance from the employee, they can't be 100% sure it was a housekeeper either. It may be the most likely (and I am NOT questioning your facts just providing a managers perspective), but it might not be concrete.

It is very important that you spoke up, and I'm not saying they handled it well, but since you're looking for them to change an internal policy you're not going to be privy to their internal response most likely.

I like the flip flops idea! I always wear them at the pool but I suppose I'm just used to taking my shoes off when I enter a room. As someone else said, it was our 3rd night in the room and with the amount of glass found on the floor there's no way we would have missed it for two days. I understand Disney not wanting to comment on policies, but even a "We will take your suggestion into consideration" would have been better than silence. I suppose I've become accustomed to Disney caring about their guests for so long, that when a situation like this takes place I'm left flabbergasted. I've read similar instances of injury where Disney suddenly turns cold. I can only speculate its due to the number of frivolous lawsuits they receive on a yearly basis.

I know it stinks to be hurt on vacation, especially by something that should have been avoidable. I would bet that Disney rarely compensates for injuries because it could be construed as accepting liability.

I would have let this one drop when - and only when - my room was safe. I wouldn't have expected to be moved or even to have a policy changed. I'm not really sure what policy change would have helped, really. A peer review after the room is cleaned, maybe? But what if that person knocked something over? Maybe the glass was left too close to the edge of the counter and fell after the housekeeper left. Just too many unknowns in this scenario for a policy change to help.

That's terrible. Your kids could have been badly hurt. I would be LIVID. We had a bathtub and hot water issue at the Grand Floridan last December, and the front desk manager moved our room AND refunded me a full night. For a broken tub!

You did the right thing by going down to the front desk- calling does nothing bc you get transferred to a call center. That's a tip I learned from DIS and when we had the tub issue at 10pm at night, I went to the FD at the Grand Floridian.

This was the point I was going to make. Be careful of the response you get from calling the front desk and if you get to the front desk and they don't know what you are talking about that is because when you call the front desk from your room you are calling a call center. Just like if you call the Polynesian from home using the resort number. They may act like they are at the resort but they are not.

I have found that housekeeping has lacked in many ways at the Polynesian for the last decade or more. I'm not convinced they will ever give much effort to fix it. They have had many complaints and I have heard the horror stories from staff that use to work for housekeeping. Last trip I just put the "do not disturb" sign up so I didn't have to deal with them. Either a poor job was done or they did not even clean my room until about 6:00 pm with me out of the room since about 8:00 am.

I disagree. I would have asked to be moved to a different room, and if that were not possible, I would want an explanation as to why. My reasoning is this: A glass break can be as simple as a few pieces on the ground, or as complex as minute shards EVERYWHERE. That room needed to be thoroughly cleaned, not just quickly vacuumed, and not just the bathroom. When I break something at our house, I spend quite a bit of time cleaning, vaccuming, sweeping, swiffering, vacuuming again, etc. I get down on hands and knees and inspect the areas, but you know how things manage to bounce to places you would never expect them to. I warn everyone in the house not to go barefoot for awhile.

For liability purposes, just as far as covering Disney's own concerns, they dropped the ball. If I were the hotel manager, I would WANT TO get that family out of that room, and figure out what the heck happened and clean it up thoroughly before sending other guests in there.

Now that the moment has passed, OP, I think you did everything you can, and it appears nothing more will come of this. It's disappointing, but you have to decide if it's so disappointing that you don't want to deal with Disney resorts and/or the Polynesian again, or if it's just a "one off" and not indicative of the brand or the resort. You've certainly given them enough chances to make this right if they wanted to.

I had an issue with Hilton on our last trip - much less of an issue - but an issue nonetheless, and I contacted the GM at the hotel after we returned. They got back in touch with me within 24 hours after I initiated contact, and offered something to compensate me. I was frustrated when the issue was happening, but I was satisfied with the end result. Before anyone thinks, I hit them up for money, I didn't actually ask for anything. What they gave me was some Hilton Honors points, an apology and some advice. The apology probably would have been enough, but they kept me as a customer due to their fast, sincere response.

Things go wrong all the time. The mark of a good company is whether they will make it right.

Ummm, shouldn't this have been cleaned up in the first place ? Shouldn't the Poly staff have cleaned that floor ? When I am paying that kind of money for a hotel room, the floors better be clean between guests.

Making excuses for the WDW in this case is just that: making excuses.

Ummm, shouldn't this have been cleaned up in the first place ? Shouldn't the Poly staff have cleaned that floor ? When I am paying that kind of money for a hotel room, the floors better be clean between guests.

Making excuses for the WDW in this case is just that: making excuses.
Your expectations are different from mine, I guess. :upsidedow

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter