My dogs bark too much! Help!

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by twinboysmom, Feb 9, 2013.

1. marcyinPA

marcyinPA <font color=blue>I'll never forget the strong, pun

I have a Corgi who barks at everything. We have a soup can of pennies that we shake when he starts barking and won't listen to us command "NO BARK". Shaking the pennies works probably 80% of the time. He will stop barking. Once I have his attention, I command him to sit, stay and shut up. :lmao:

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. twinboysmom

twinboysmom DIS Veteran

I wish I could say that was what her issue is. We have had 3 bassets and she will be the last. I know this is a stubborn breed but she is unbelievable. As the vet said, she's just not a very good dog. I think she's missing a few screws in her cute little head personally. She has some other issues and truthfully, I would love to rehome her but I don't think anyone else would tolerate her.

She barks because the neighbors are outside (the same exact people since she came to us), because the kids are playing across the street, because the trash pick up comes by, because the dog down the street is barking, you name it. And it takes a while for her to quit. I am really hoping we find a solution.

4. StitchesGr8Fan

StitchesGr8Fan DIS Veteran

Aww. That's a tough situation. I know your husband doesn't want to rehome her, but you guys may not have a choice if you get complaints at the new apartment. Maybe you can explain to him that it is better to look for a new home for her now while you have time and can search for a good home, versus when you are facing eviction at the new apartment and have to give her to the first person who will take her, or worse, a shelter.

5. JessB320

JessB320 DIS Veteran

I want to be positive and say good job for working on this problem now before you move. I would keep looking for a good qualified trainer. Shock collars when used properly can do wonders. The only issues I ever saw from them where from people who put them on and never checked them again,( mainly outdoor only dogs) after tightening over months they would embed in the skin. I can bet you would not be the type to put it on and ever check it again :) it sounds like you have some tough choices. Whatever you decide good luck!!

6. Soldier's*Sweeties

Soldier's*Sweeties DIS Veteran

That happens with kind of kind of collar if they are not loosened or given new collars as the dog grows.

7. bearloch

bearloch DIS Veteran

a couple of things I had beagles! they were loud! 1 thing that worked great to use when I was home was to shake a can with marbles, coins etc in it they were destracted by the noise and stopped! we also had to move to a apartment and was worried! I had the dogs stay in the room farest away from " triggers' and got them thunder shirts to wear when I was gone for more that a quick trip to store! worked I also left a tv or radio on at all times!!

8. JessB320

JessB320 DIS Veteran

Yes that was my point that used properly they can be a useful tool. The OP seems nervous to try one

9. Soldier's*Sweeties

Soldier's*Sweeties DIS Veteran

I thought you were saying an issue with shock collars is embedding. My mistake lol

10. JessB320

JessB320 DIS Veteran

Yes but only with dumb owners :) lol was trying use better wording but as we both know that's what it comes down too!!! :)

11. twinboysmom

twinboysmom DIS Veteran

I am ordering thunder shirts tonight. Thanks for that idea, it is worth a try.

12. BearcatsFan

BearcatsFan <font color=green>we finally had a minute to breat

I second the squirt bottle training. It worked for us with both dogs we used to have (and a cat who wanted on the kitchen counters).