My Disneyland dining reviews, with pictures

Today is National Waffle Day. Does anyone have pictures of the famous Mickey waffles (large ones or small ones)??

Continuing with...Figment's Diamond Anniversary Celebration in Disneyland Resort

Cafe Orleans, Lunch
Figment had lunch on the 17th at Cafe Orleans. It's got great food and is a good place to do some people watching!

Mint Juelp – Figment really likes Disneyland’s version of the mint julep, so that’s his “go to” drink when eating in New Orleans Square.
DSC_0258_zpsdbvdibuu.jpg

French Onion Soup - Sautéed sweet-onion medley in a traditional broth with Croutons and Melted Gruyere. Even though it was a warm(ish) day, Figment still wanted the French Onion soup. He likes this version because it has a very rich broth and yummy melted cheese!
DSC_0262_zpslgzsvack.jpg

Pommes Frites - Traditional French-fried potatoes tossed with Parmesan cheese, garlic and parsley, served with a Cajun spice remoulade. This is one of Figment’s favorite appetizers at Disneyland and one of the best ways to eat pommes frites!
DSC_0267_zpsguzxxxqi.jpg

New Orleans Gumbo - A rich, flavorful stew with chicken, andouille sausage and tasso ham, served with Cajun-style “dirty rice”. Figment has always liked Café Orleans' gumbo. It has a rich flavor, but it's not too spicy.
DSC_0270_zpsqkskhiqy.jpg

"Crescent City" Salad - Pan-seared Atlantic Salmon on top of fresh Spinach and Mixed Baby Greens, tossed with Caramelized Pecans, Red Grapes, Navel Orange Segments, Caramelized Onions, Chopped Green Onions, Roasted Sweet Corn, and Orange-Cilantro Vinaigrette. Figment likes this salad, especially the caramelized pecans and this salad is very good!
DSC_0275_zps6hwme2zl.jpg

Carnation Cafe, Dinner
Figment has been going to Carnation Cafe more often recently. He's found he enjoys the food and it's a nice relaxing place to have a meal. The weather was pretty nice this time, so he opted to eat outside.
DSC_0346_zps0o9kelht.jpg

Walt's Chili - Hearty Chili topped with Cheese, Sour Cream, and fresh Tomatoes. Figment decided in honor of the 60th, he would try a bunch of the "Walt's" items. The chili had very good flavor and Figment would happily order it again.
DSC_0347_zps73mxuy2v.jpg

Fried Pickles with Dipping Sauce - Dill Pickle Spears dipped in Parmesan and Panko, Fried Golden Brown and served with a House Sauce. This is Figment’s favorite appetizer at Carnation Café. He loves pickles!
DSC_0360_zpsxhmrfuxi.jpg

Baked Potato Soup - with Bacon, Cheddar, Monterey Jack, Sour Cream, and Chives. This is one of Carnation Café’s signature items and it’s really good. It is very rich and filling, but well worth it.
DSC_0355_zpsgb6wcs6u.jpg

Spinach Salad with Grilled Chicken - Grilled Chicken, Spinach, Boiled Eggs, Portobello Mushrooms, Feta Cheese, and Pickled Onions tossed with Golden Balsamic-Mustard Seed Vinaigrette. Figment opted to forgo the feta chese, but otherwise, this salad was outstanding. It was fairly light, but had lots of good flavor.
DSC_0370_zps9f1u6qdd.jpg

Walt's Favorite Homemade Meatloaf - Our special blend of Beef and Pork served with Ketchup Glaze, Mashed Potatoes, Mushroom Gravy, and Seasonal Vegetables. This meatloaf was very different from what Figment was expecting. It had firmer texture than regular meatloaf and a lot of really good flavor. Figment really liked this meatloaf.
DSC_0375_zpsre6rulph.jpg

Figment_jii,

I was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked the meatloaf when I tried it.

Us too! I was honestly expecting a more typical meatloaf, which I generally find to be kind of mushy (I'm not really a fan of baked ground meats), but this one had a much firmer texture and a lot of flavor. It was definitely something that my family would order again.

Us too! I was honestly expecting a more typical meatloaf, which I generally find to be kind of mushy (I'm not really a fan of baked ground meats), but this one had a much firmer texture and a lot of flavor. It was definitely something that my family would order again.

Both my husband and my 15-year old son really like that meatloaf. My 15-year old loves the baked potato soup there too. I know he wishes we would eat at Carnation Cafe more often. As usual, I love all your food pictures.

I saw an unconfirmed, unofficial report from a Disney fan page on Facebook, which indicated that the Big Thunder Ranch BBQ will be closing (for good) as of Monday, January 11, 2016 -- right after the holiday season ends.
I just read this! I am so bummed! We really enjoyed eating there and our next trip isn't until May 2016. Disney is making too many changes and its making me sad :(

I just read this! I am so bummed! We really enjoyed eating there and our next trip isn't until May 2016. Disney is making too many changes and its making me sad :(

I'm so mad I haven't eaten there yet! I have always planned to, but kept procrastinating. Either I was on a solo trip, or didn't have that big of an appetite, or was with friends who wanted to eat elsewhere, etc. There was always some reason. Now I have to make a point of getting there by 1/10/16!

I saw someone suggest (on MiceChat) that, although it would have to move indoors and lose that rustic feel, a good place to move the BBQ would be to the Golden Horseshoe. :idea: Not a bad idea -- if only Disney would jump on it!

Continuing with...Figment's Diamond Anniversary Celebration in Disneyland Resort

Cafe Orleans, Lunch
Figment had lunch on the 17th at Cafe Orleans. It's got great food and is a good place to do some people watching!

Mint Juelp – Figment really likes Disneyland’s version of the mint julep, so that’s his “go to” drink when eating in New Orleans Square.
DSC_0258_zpsdbvdibuu.jpg

French Onion Soup - Sautéed sweet-onion medley in a traditional broth with Croutons and Melted Gruyere. Even though it was a warm(ish) day, Figment still wanted the French Onion soup. He likes this version because it has a very rich broth and yummy melted cheese!
DSC_0262_zpslgzsvack.jpg

Pommes Frites - Traditional French-fried potatoes tossed with Parmesan cheese, garlic and parsley, served with a Cajun spice remoulade. This is one of Figment’s favorite appetizers at Disneyland and one of the best ways to eat pommes frites!
DSC_0267_zpsguzxxxqi.jpg

New Orleans Gumbo - A rich, flavorful stew with chicken, andouille sausage and tasso ham, served with Cajun-style “dirty rice”. Figment has always liked Café Orleans' gumbo. It has a rich flavor, but it's not too spicy.
DSC_0270_zpsqkskhiqy.jpg

"Crescent City" Salad - Pan-seared Atlantic Salmon on top of fresh Spinach and Mixed Baby Greens, tossed with Caramelized Pecans, Red Grapes, Navel Orange Segments, Caramelized Onions, Chopped Green Onions, Roasted Sweet Corn, and Orange-Cilantro Vinaigrette. Figment likes this salad, especially the caramelized pecans and this salad is very good!
DSC_0275_zps6hwme2zl.jpg

Carnation Cafe, Dinner
Figment has been going to Carnation Cafe more often recently. He's found he enjoys the food and it's a nice relaxing place to have a meal. The weather was pretty nice this time, so he opted to eat outside.
DSC_0346_zps0o9kelht.jpg

Walt's Chili - Hearty Chili topped with Cheese, Sour Cream, and fresh Tomatoes. Figment decided in honor of the 60th, he would try a bunch of the "Walt's" items. The chili had very good flavor and Figment would happily order it again.
DSC_0347_zps73mxuy2v.jpg

Fried Pickles with Dipping Sauce - Dill Pickle Spears dipped in Parmesan and Panko, Fried Golden Brown and served with a House Sauce. This is Figment’s favorite appetizer at Carnation Café. He loves pickles!
DSC_0360_zpsxhmrfuxi.jpg

Baked Potato Soup - with Bacon, Cheddar, Monterey Jack, Sour Cream, and Chives. This is one of Carnation Café’s signature items and it’s really good. It is very rich and filling, but well worth it.
DSC_0355_zpsgb6wcs6u.jpg

Spinach Salad with Grilled Chicken - Grilled Chicken, Spinach, Boiled Eggs, Portobello Mushrooms, Feta Cheese, and Pickled Onions tossed with Golden Balsamic-Mustard Seed Vinaigrette. Figment opted to forgo the feta chese, but otherwise, this salad was outstanding. It was fairly light, but had lots of good flavor.
DSC_0370_zps9f1u6qdd.jpg

Walt's Favorite Homemade Meatloaf - Our special blend of Beef and Pork served with Ketchup Glaze, Mashed Potatoes, Mushroom Gravy, and Seasonal Vegetables. This meatloaf was very different from what Figment was expecting. It had firmer texture than regular meatloaf and a lot of really good flavor. Figment really liked this meatloaf.
DSC_0375_zpsre6rulph.jpg

Is there somewhere I can get a list of the "Walt's" items?

Is there somewhere I can get a list of the "Walt's" items?
There were three of them on the Carnation Cafe menu when I was there in July. There in the section titled "Walt's Favorites".

• Fresh Catch of the Day - Sustainable Fish served with Chef's Choice of Sides
  • Chicken-Fried Chicken - Buttermilk Fried Chicken Breast served with Mashed Potatoes, Country Gravy, and Seasonal Vegetables
  • Homemade Meatloaf - Our special blend of Beef and Pork served with Ketchup Glaze, Mashed Potatoes, Mushroom Gravy, and Seasonal Vegetables

French Market, Lunch
The French Market always has really good food and a lively atmosphere. Figment enjoyed people watching and listening to the Royale Street Bachelors perform.

Jambalaya - Our Creole Seafood, Chicken and Andouille Sausage served over Dirty Rice with jalapeño Cornbread. Figment always likes the French Market's Jambalaya and this time was no exception. It was very good!
DSC_0420_zpspvsxcvhj.jpg

Na Awlin's Salad - Lettuce Medley, Julienned Yams, Granny Smith Apples, Caramelized Pecans, Lentils and Crasins with a sweet Citrus Vinaigrette. This is one of Figment’s favorite salads and he gets this frequently at the French Market.
DSC_0421_zps4kscqmp9.jpg

Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen, Brunch
Having Sunday Brunch at Brennan's Jazz Kitchen is one of Figment's favorite traditions. He likes to eat outside so he can people watch in DTD while dining!

Bourbon Street Sampler for Two - A Taste of New Orleans: Popcorn Calamari, Coconut Shrimp, Boudin Balls, <check>. Figment's favorites are still the calamari and the Boudin Balls. Both have great flavor, but aren't too spicy!
DSC_0023_zps8t62owmd.jpg

Creole Caesar Salad - Romaine hearts, Roma tomatoes, parmesan cheese, Creole caesar dressing, rosemary ciabatta toast, and sautéed crawfish. Figment usually as a salad before heading home and he likes this one because it has a lot of different items and a tasty dressing.
DSC_0028_zps5oekm4h8.jpg

Crab Cakes & Eggs - Pontalba potatoes & Creole hollandaise. This is one of Figment’s favorite items at Brennan’s. It was delicious!
DSC_0034%202_zpsndydgoe9.jpg

BBQ Shrimp & Grits - “New Orleans” style BBQ sauce, andouille grits. This is one of Figment’s favorite dishes at Brennan’s and he gets it everytime! It’s on the slightly spicier side, but the shrimp are really tasty and the grits are smooth and creamy.
DSC_0039_zpsqxqf12so.jpg

I love the Carnation for just about any meal, and I am going to get one of those waffles, very soon!!
I wonder why they do not have fresh strawberry's? Its summer..... still looks Yummy!

--Lori

Continuing with...Figment's Diamond Anniversary Celebration in Disneyland Resort!

Award Weiner, Late Night Snack
Figment had never really eaten at Award Weiner before (he's gotten a drink there), but he was hungry as he waited between sets at the Mad T Party. So he stopped by and got a snack.

Barbecue Hot Link - Classic hot link, grilled onions and barbecue sauce, served with sliced apples or chips. Figment opted to skip the barbecue sauce and selected the chips option. This is Figment's new favorite place to get a hot dog (err...hot link). Coke Corner has been replaced!
DSC_0053_zps7cn3chcy.jpg

Clarabelle's, Snack
The Oswald - Two scoops of ice cream (mocha almost fudge), whipped cream, chocolate chips, and chocolate dipped banana "ears". This is one of Figment's favorite ice cream snacks in DCA. So good! (A little messy, but realy good!)
DSC_0106_zpsfamvkucn.jpg

Jolly Holiday, Snack
Mickey Raspberry Macaron – This is Figment’s favorite dessert at Jolly Holiday!
DSC_0153_zps7mqakddd.jpg

Cozy Cones, Snack
Bacon & Cheddar Popcorn - Figment likes bacon and he likes popcorn, so he thought he'd give the bacon and cheddar popcorn a try. It was okay, but not very strongly flavored. The bacon flavor was pronounced in the first few pieces, but then kind of mellowed/tapered out. He found that if he stopped eating it and drank something, then the flavor was stronger again. So it wasn't something where the falvor built up as he ate it. It was okay, but he probably wouldn't get it again.
DSC_0297_zpso7wsevwf.jpg

Cozy Cones, Snack
Bacon & Cheddar Popcorn - Figment likes bacon and he likes popcorn, so he thought he'd give the bacon and cheddar popcorn a try. It was okay, but not very strongly flavored. The bacon flavor was pronounced in the first few pieces, but then kind of mellowed/tapered out. He found that if he stopped eating it and drank something, then the flavor was stronger again. So it wasn't something where the falvor built up as he ate it. It was okay, but he probably wouldn't get it again.
DSC_0297_zpso7wsevwf.jpg

My younger son agrees with Figment. DS14 checked that popcorn location every time we visited the park for I think the first year the Cozy Cones were open. He was desperate to try the bacon cheddar flavor, but it was never being served on the days we were there. He finally got to try it, and after all the anticipation and excitement pronounced it something of a disappointment and hasn't had it since.

Finishing up with...Figment's Diamond Anniversary Celebration in Disneyland Resort

Disneyland's 60th Anniversary Cupcake Celebration, Snack
One July 17, 2015, Disneyland celebrated its 60th Anniversary. In honor of that, the resort was giving out cupcakes at several locations. Figment got his cupcake at the Tomorrowland celebration location.
DSC_0201_zpsjjkuqvow.jpg

DSC_0202_zpsicgogdly.jpg

DSC_0204_zpsnvosgwya.jpg

DSC_0209_zpsfk4wsk4n.jpg

DSC_0215_zps1smivhay.jpg

Figment had a cupcake in the morning, but he was walking by Space Mountain when a Cast Member said it was last call for cupcakes! They still had them at almost 11:00 pm at night! So Figment ducked in and got one more cupcake (well, three).
DSC_0386_zps8qfenmjr.jpg

Snacks, Various Locations
Chocolate Caramel Apple - DLR debuted a new chocolate caramel apple on the 17th.
DSC_0241_zps5bpa3tau.jpg

DSC_0242_zpspebmhmfx.jpg

Chocolate Caramel Minnie 60th Apple
DSC_0044_zpsj3jayin2.jpg

S'Mores Treats - July was s'mores month, so DLR was featuring s'mores themed treats.
DSC_0244_zpswxztvfor.jpg

Other Treats - They still had the 60th Anniversary Celebration treats, along with the usual assortments of goodies.
DSC_0245_zpsuzsy3ptv.jpg

DSC_0246_zpsapspzpri.jpg

Souvenier Containers, Various Locations
Inside Out Souvenier Cup (Award Weiner)
DSC_0055_zpscgtvm480.jpg

DSC_0056_zpsqglh4fla.jpg

Boba Fett Cup, X-Wing Fighter Glow "Cube", Millenium Falcon Glow "Cube" (Tomorrowland Lemonade Stand)
DSC_0105_zpsiy0yblkf.jpg

Red Dinoco Can
DSC_0296_zpsg6qgfw2o.jpg

Chernabog Sipper with Made With Magic - This was the most expensive souvenir cup Figment's ever gotten. It lights up and can be controlled with the Magic Wand or Paint Brush (just like the Made with Magic/Glow with the Show Mickey ears).
DSC_0425_zpsb7yppsax.jpg

Disneyland 60th Annivesary Soup Cup - As Figment was picking up a few last minute things, he spotted this new soup/drink cup at the Plaza Inn. It the same size and design as the soup cup at Jolly Holiday last winter, but this one was being sold as a drink cup and it was only available (at that time) at the Plaza Inn!
DSC_0046_zps1uodzenh.jpg

Last edited:
They also had the Han Solo frozen in carbonite popcorn bucket at the popcorn stand in Tomorrowland. The Darth Vader helmet from last year was now being used for cotton candy. There is also a Star Wars Death Star Glow Cube, but I haven't been to DLR when they've had that one available.

OHHH how much and where was the Chernabog Sipper with Made With Magic? Also was it only for that day or still there now?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter