My Disneyland dining reviews, with pictures

This will be an unpopular opinion, and I don't mean to dissuade you from trying a corn dog, but the wife and I were pretty disappointed with the corn dogs when we went in February 2013. I'm not sure where you're from, and maybe that has something to do with it. We are from Oklahoma, and in this area we love our fried foods, and a 'good' corn dog can be had for a dollar at any Sonic Drive In.

Interesting! I am also from Oklahoma. To me, Sonic corn dogs are okay, but I much prefer DL corn dogs! And I say this as a huge Sonic fan!

I think Sonic cordogs are good for the price... but I would much rather a DL corn dog any day of the week! I visit sonic often and get the corn dog cause it is a good deal.. along with the afternoon happy hour drink prices!

Interesting! I am also from Oklahoma. To me, Sonic corn dogs are okay, but I much prefer DL corn dogs! And I say this as a huge Sonic fan!
Honestly, the corn dogs you get at the fair are better than Sonic. Sonic was just the first example I could think of. I don't think the cornbread is sweet enough for me at DL.

Honestly, the corn dogs you get at the fair are better than Sonic. Sonic was just the first example I could think of. I don't think the cornbread is sweet enough for me at DL.

See I prefer them non-sweet. That's why I'm not a huge fan of the Sonic ones! To each their own! Now I want a Sonic Blast though...

Figment’s Spring Visit to Disneyland Resort
Figment went to Disneyland Resort just before Spring Break was in full swing. He got to enjoy the Egg-stravaganza Egg Hunt in both parks and the Spring Time Round-Up at Big Thunder Ranch. He also got to enjoy eating his way through Disneyland Resort. He went to several long time favorites and even tried somewhere new!

Jolly Holiday (lunch)
Figment started his trip at the Jolly Holiday Bakery Café on Main Street. They had just debuted their new spring time menu, complete with new savory and sweet offerings. Figment was lucky enough to be able to watch Soundsational from his table.

Cold Roast Beef and Bleu Cheese Served on a Crispy French Baguette this was one of the new items for the Spring Menu. It was pretty good.
DSC_0007_zpsa7db07oi.jpg

Sun-Dried Tomato Caesar Salad – Figment really liked this salad. The dressing was very tasty.
DSC_0008_zpsuys9xxhf.jpg

Toasted Ham & Swiss Cheese Sandwich with Apple Chutney Cheese – this was another new offering from the Spring Menu. Sadly, it was a normal ham and cheese sandwich.
DSC_0012_zpsrc4qsteh.jpg

Opera Cake – Figment’s favorite additions to the Spring Menu were the desserts. He liked almost all of them, but the Opera Cake was one of his favorites. Very rich, but slightly flaky. So yummy!
DSC_0027_zpsdbo0vipg.jpg

Mickey Macaron (Raspberry) – This is Figment’s favorite dessert from Jolly Holiday. He loves the slightly chewy texture of the macaron and the slightly tart taste of the raspberries.
DSC_0033_zps3jx15qbc.jpg

Coffee Éclair – Another new offering for the Spring Menu. It was an éclair filled with coffee-flavored crème. It was really good!
DSC_0026_zpsds1uia1v.jpg

Chocolate Éclair – Figment also tried the traditional chocolate éclair. It was yummy!
DSC_0303_zpsynrddavv.jpg

Chocolate Brownie Cupcake – Figment likes chocolate, so this dessert was right up his alley. The cupcake brownie was very rich and very sweet.
DSC_0037_zps9wti2ar3.jpg

Mickey Macaron (Pistachio) – This was similar to the raspberry macaron, but it was green. It only had a light pistachio flavor. Figment liked the raspberry one better.
DSC_0084_zpshavjp8p4.jpg

Olaf Cupcake – The seasonal cupcake was a white cake cupcake topped with lots of frosting to make it look like Olaf. So cute!
DSC_0295_zps577c7mjl.jpg

Plaza Inn (dinner)
The Plaza Inn is one of Figment’s favorite counter service locations in the parks.

Fried Chicken – The Plaza Inn’s fried chicken is so moist on the inside and crispy on the outside. It’s amazing!
DSC_0059_zpspc6re9dy.jpg

Pot Roast – Another one of Figment’s favorite dishes from the Plaza Inn. The pot roast is very tender and has a nice rich flavor. The gravy is great on the mash potatoes!
DSC_0060_zps2ulemxtf.jpg

Storytellers (lunch)
Figment stopped by Storytellers for lunch. It’s a nice low-key location at the Grand Californian Hotel.

Bread Service – The meal started with bread service, which included corn bread muffins and soft rolls. The corn bread had bits of corn in it – so ymmy!
DSC_0151_zpsttmom7m7.jpg

DSC_0164_zps6gjqw3fe.jpg

Charred Nebraska Corn Chowder - With Rotisserie Chicken, Bacon, and Cilantro. This is one of Figment’s favorite soups at DLR. It’s very rich and flavorful!
DSC_0157_zpsmfmnllvl.jpg

Caesar Salad with Chicken - Romaine Lettuce and Caesar Dressing. Figment likes Caesar salads, so this was a good choice.
DSC_0175_zpsabg4laof.jpg

Salmon with Artichoke Tapenade - Atlantic Salmon served with Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Broccolini, and an Artichoke Tapenade. Figment really liked this salmon dish. The salmon was very moist and the tapenade had great flavor.
DSC_0181_zpsipnogkrk.jpg

Salmon and Spinach Salad - Atlantic Salmon served with Baby Spinach Salad with Caramelized Button Mushrooms, Thume, Roasted Red Bell Peppers, and Garlic-Herb Croutons tossed with a Balsamic Vinaigrette. This is one of Figment’s favorite salads at Storytellers. The button mushroom are very yummy and the salmon was very moist.
DSC_0186_zpsvzycb01b.jpg

Figment has great taste! My DD5 and I love splitting that salmon dish at Storytellers. That has become my favorite restaurant for lunch when we are at DCA. It's always so quiet and the food is delicious. It's so close to the park that it might as well be in it, but because it's technically not, most people don't know about it or just don't think to go there for lunch. The bread service is the best!!!

It's been a month since our trip, guess I need to contribute to one of my favorite threads!

Our first meal was at Tortilla Jo's Taqueria. It was our first time eating here and it was really good.
My DH was annoyed with my incessant picture taking :lmao:thus the less than amused look on his face lol. He had a beef burrito, it was pretty big. This was about halfway through.
16.JPG

I had a taco salad with carnitas. It was a lot more filling than it looked. Also, a side of chips and guacamole.
17.JPG

We also had beignets and a mint julep from Jazz Kitchen Express. I expected the beignets to be lighter but we had no problems gobbling them right up! Of course there was a pound of powdered sugar in the paper bag they come in, so very messy but so worth it. The mint julep was good! Like minty lemonade.
20.JPG
21.JPG

We visited Trader Sam's to mostly check out the atmosphere but of course got a couple drinks.
My DH ordered the Krakatoa Punch (Reserve and Spiced Rums, Orgeat (Almond) Syrup, Sam's Gorilla Grog and Hibiscus Grenadine)
IMG_3902.JPG

I had the Piranha Pool (Strawberry Vodka blended with Pineapple Juice, Cream of Coconut, Strawberry Purée and Blue Curaçao). I like fruity drinks but it wasn't as sweet as I was hoping based on the description. Still worth the visit to Trader Sam's.
IMG_3907.JPG

These are from our first park day at DCA:
We had breakfast at our hotel, so just a snack, lunch and dinner here.

Stopped at the Cozy Cones for the churros with chocolate dipping sauce. SO good. And I think this is a better deal than buying just a plain ol churro. Yum yum yum.
SAM_1323.JPG
SAM_1324.JPG

continued...

...continued

Now, if you go back several pages you will see that I reviewed these exact lunches and my DH and I thought they were just okay, but apparently they sound good when you've been on your feet for half a day in the park because we got the same exact thing again :rotfl:
I will say mine was better than the first time I had it, so I supposed that's a win for me.

From Cocina Cucamonga: Carne Asada and Chicken Tamale--Marinated and Grilled Beef cooked to perfection served with a Chicken Tamale, warm Flour Tortillas, Mexican Rice, Refried Beans, Pico de Gallo, Guacamole and Sour Cream
SAM_1352.JPG
DH had an Asian beef rice bowl from Lucky Fortune Cookery. I think he got the teriyaki sauce: served with Steamed Rice, Seared Asian Vegetables and your choice of sauce: Mandarin Orange, Spicy Korean, Thai Coconut Curry, Teriyaki
SAM_1349.JPG
SAM_1351.JPG
and a brewski. No clue what kind, I'm not a beer drinker. Sorry lol.
SAM_1350.JPG

For dinner we ate at Flo's.
DH had the roast beef and cheddar: Garlic Chive Bun, Carmelized Onions and Horseradish Aïoli served with Signature Coleslaw. I had the turkey dip: Potato Ginder Roll and Provolone Cheese with Turkey Au Jus served with "Radiator" Pasta Salad
SAM_1377.JPG

I guess that's not the greatest shot of my sandwich lol. It was dark and I was having flash trouble.
DH loved his food, I did not like my sandwich. I was expecting it to be different, I guess, and the gravy "dip" was way too salty for me. The pasta salad was so good, though. I wished there was more!

Sorry, my pictures are huge. I've already tried resizing them. :headache:

Park day 2: Disneyland

About mid morning we stopped at the Jolly Holiday for a snack.
DH got a chocolate croissant
SAM_1462.JPG
I opted for a Mickey cookie and a souvenir sipper with coke instead of coffee or hot chocolate, as advertised on the menu.
SAM_1463.JPG
SAM_1464.JPG

The treats were basic, nothing too amazing. My cookie actually didn't taste all that fresh, but I ate it anyway because I was hungry lol.

We had lunch at Village Haus. DH had the Pastrami Cheeseburger: Angus Chuck Burger with Pastrami, Swiss Chese, Caramelized Onions, Lettuce, Pickles, and Mild Creamy Horseradish Sauce served with fresh Fruit or French Fries. He really liked it.
SAM_1486.JPG

I had the regular cheeseburger. It was good, but just a burger. SAM_1487.JPG

and fries, of course SAM_1488.JPG

And of course, couldn't miss out on a Dole Whip! I had the float. It was my first time trying the float and I didn't like it. The pineapple juice was way too sour, so I had my DH drink it down so I could enjoy the whip :thumbsup2 That part never disappoints!

SAM_1495.JPG

SAM_1496.JPG

For dinner we ate at the French Market. It was our first time eating there and it was very good. It was pretty dark out there, though, which was annoying. I like seeing my food lol.

DH had the jambalaya with a corn bread muffin:
Creole Seafood, Chicken and Andouille Sausage served over Dirty Rice with your choice of fresh Artesian Breads
SAM_1523.JPG
I had the French Quarter Chicken. It was delicious:
Southern-style Oven-roasted Half Chicken, Smashed Potatoes and Seasonal Vegetables served with your choice of fresh Artesian Breads
SAM_1524.JPG

Last post, I swear! I guess because my pictures are huge, I can't post as many in one post.

Our last day before heading home, we ate at Bubba Gump's at the Garden Walk. I don't eat seafood but my hubby loves it and I refuse to cook it at home lol so I told him he needed to come here. I actually love this restaurant, I've been many times and always order...a cheeseburger! haha. Yes, I'm strange.

We started out with the spinach and artichoke dip appetizer. Very good.
IMG_4061.JPG

Like I said, I had a cheeseburger lol. With frizzled onions and bbq sauce. It was sadly overcooked.
IMG_4062.JPG

DH got...I think it was called Shrimper's Heaven. Lots of shrimp here and he thoroughly enjoyed it.
IMG_4064.JPG

Later that evening we went to Downtown Disney. We had dinner at Earl of Sandwich. I would post pictures but once again it was dark, and they are awful. Plus I don't even remember what we ate there :rotfl2:

We had a sundae at Haagen Dazs. It was good but holy moly it was expensive. Never again. That menu wasn't very clear to us so we had no idea what it was going to look like. We shared and it didn't take long before it was gone because it wasn't very big. There were chunks of pineapple, strawberries and bananas.
IMG_3959.JPG

I also got a chocolate Mickey pretzel and DH got some fudge from Marceline's. I guess he ate it before I could take a picture.
IMG_4079.JPG

I agree that the dipping gravy at Flo's for the turkey sandwich is a little too salty. The menu says "au jus", but that is a dang gravy lol. Doesn't look like an au jus I've ever had before. The bread was kind of dry, but I think it's because my lips were chapped when I ate it so it made it seem worse. I also LOVED the pasta salad and wanted more of it. I would eat the meal again though.

Continuing with...Figment’s Spring Visit to Disneyland Resort

French Market (dinner)

This is Figment’s “Go To” counter service location in Disneyland. He had a late dinner there (and even saw parts of Fantasmic! and the fireworks from his table).

Jambalaya - Creole Seafood and Chicken Stew simmered with Seasoned Vegetables served over Dirty Rice. Figment likes this jambalaya. It has a slight bite, but nothing to spicy.
DSC_0318_zpsjbkyf5rz.jpg

Na Awlin's Salad - Lettuce Medley, Julienned Yams, Granny Smith Apples, caramelized Pecans, Lentils, and Tart Cherries with a sweet Citrus Vinaigrette. Figment always likes this salad.
DSC_0321_zpswezpxs62.jpg

Carnation Café (lunch)

Figment returned to Carnation Café for lunch and was lucky enough to meet Oscar, the longest-tenured Disneyland cast member! He came around to all of the tables to say “hi” to the guests.

Fried Pickles with Dipping Sauce - Dill Pickle Spears dipped in Parmesan and Panko, Fried Golden Brown and served with a House Sauce. Figment loves pickles and he really likes these! They are crispy on the outside and dilly on the inside. So good!
DSC_0441_zps9bx8wnt7.jpg

Baked Potato Soup - with Bacon, Cheddar, Monterey Jack, Sour Cream, and Chives. Figment likes rich soups and this is no exception. Also very good!
DSC_0449_zpsuleucvro.jpg

Romaine Salad with Shrimp - Succulent Shrimp, Romaine, Avocado, Tomatoes, Hickory-smoked Bacon, and creamy Ranch dressing. Figment likes to have a lighter entrée sometimes and this salad was just the thing. Very tasty.
DSC_0457_zpsdzdfyynn.jpg

DSC_0463_zpsxnzqumv1.jpg

Penne Pasta with Shrimp - Pasta and Sautéed Shrimp with Broccoli and Mushrooms in a creamy Garlic Sauce. Chef Oscar stopped by as Figment was taking his photo with the food and offered to hold the dish. Figment wouldn’t say “no” to that! Figment did like the pasta dish, but it was pretty rich and after the soup…maybe the salad would have been a better choice!
DSC_0474_zpsmyrqkjlr.jpg

Crossroads at the House of Blues (dinner)

Figment had never been to Crossroads at the House of Blues before, so he decided to give it a try. Like most places in DTD on a Friday night, it was very busy. While Figment waited for his table, he could see them setting up the upstairs area for that night’s concert. Figment ended up being seated inside, which was very loud (far louder than what is considered “conversational”). Still, the food ended up being very good and it had a fun atmosphere.

Crossroads Quesadilla - Flour tortillas stuffed with a blend of cheeses, poblano chiles, fire roasted red peppers, onions, and roasted tomatillo salsa with chicken. Figment generally likes quesadillas so he started with these. They were pretty good.
DSC_0068_zpsfxtiflfu.jpg

Angus Sliders - Two Angus beef sliders topped with Cheddar cheese, ketchup, mustard, deep fried onion strings and pickled jalapeño peppers, served on a brioche bun. Figment really liked these sliders. The patty had really good flavors and the onions added a nice bit of crunch. The marinated cucumbers that were served on the side were spicy!
DSC_0097_zpstnrhpqwd.jpg

Pulled Pork Sliders - Two sliders layered with smoked pulled pork, topped with smoked tomato BBQ sauce and housemade coleslaw, served on a brioche bun. This slider was also really good. The pork was tender and very flavorful.
DSC_0079%202_zps8h8dfg1s.jpg

Street Tacos - Three street style corn tortillas, green cabbage, fresh pico de gallo, roasted tomatillo salsa, Cotija cheese and avocado lime crème with char grilled citrus marinated steak. Figment likes tacos so he ordered an extra one and really enjoyed these little tacos. The steak was very tender and had amazing flavor.
DSC_0088_zps8lvfnq1s.jpg

Cajun Chicken Pasta - Blackened chicken, spicy Cajun cream, roasted tomatoes, pasilla onions, toasted corn. To supplement all of the appetizer plates, Figment tried on entrée. It wasn’t as spicy as Figment expected it to be, but it was still very good.
DSC_0071_zpsz2gtyeqv.jpg

I love it when Figment visits the parks and posts. Thanks! I am looking forward to our trip in 17 days and will certainly be eating after my races.
Thanks! Have fun and be sure to take lots of food photos to share! :goodvibes

Figment has great taste! My DD5 and I love splitting that salmon dish at Storytellers. That has become my favorite restaurant for lunch when we are at DCA. It's always so quiet and the food is delicious. It's so close to the park that it might as well be in it, but because it's technically not, most people don't know about it or just don't think to go there for lunch. The bread service is the best!!!
Thanks! :goodvibes Figment really liked both salmon dishes at Storytellers. They were different, but the salmon was very good in both.

Last edited:
Continuing with...Figment’s Spring Visit to Disneyland Resort

Café Orleans (lunch)

French Onion Soup - Sautéed sweet-onion medley in a traditional broth with Croutons and Melted Gruyere. Figment generally like French Onion Soup and enjoyed this version. Rich broth, with melted cheese!
DSC_0267_zps8kwilulx.jpg

Pommes Frites - Traditional French-fried potatoes tossed with Parmesan cheese, garlic and parsley, served with a Cajun spice remoulade. This is one of Figment’s favorite appetizers at Disneyland!
DSC_0275_zpshyhp6l34.jpg

Mint Julep – This is Figment’s favorite drink at Disneyland. It’s not on the menu anymore, but you can still get it (and unlimited refills)!
DSC_0279_zpsvm9dmzt2.jpg

New Orleans Gumbo - A rich, flavorful stew with chicken, andouille sausage and tasso ham, served with Cajun-style “dirty rice”. Figment really likes Café Orleans gumbo. Rich flavor and not too spicy.
DSC_0290_zpsnqo3r3ie.jpg

"Crescent City" Salad - Pan-seared Atlantic Salmon on top of fresh Spinach and Mixed Baby Greens, tossed with Caramelized Pecans, Red Grapes, Navel Orange Segments, Caramelized Onions, Chopped Green Onions, Roasted Sweet Corn, and Orange-Cilantro Vinaigrette. Figment likes this salad, especially the caramelized pecans!
DSC_0282_zpschb69icv.jpg

Carthay Circle (dinner)
Figment had dinner at the Carthay Circle one evening. He asked about ordering food from the Lounge while waiting, but sadly, it can’t be served in the dining room. So the lobster pad thai rolls will have to wait for another day.

Vignette Chardonnay – Figment really likes these Wine Country Sodas. He likes the Chardonnay the best, followed the pinot noir. He can get the pinot at home, but not the chardonnay, so he decided to have one at Carthay Circle!
DSC_0411_zpsdcwm7iuf.jpg

Bloody Mary – Once in a while, Figment likes to try an alcoholic drink.
DSC_0412_zpsg1wqhx28.jpg

Rose Petal Soda – Figment liked this light and refreshing soda. It comes with a candied rose petal!
DSC_0417_zpsinkb9bgj.jpg

Bread Service – The meal starts with bread service. Figment liked the bread, but he didn’t each much because he was saving room for the things to come!
DSC_0420_zpsabfmrolu.jpg

Steamed Pot Stickers filled with Gingered Pork - on Mango Lemongrass Voodoo Sauce. Figment likes pot stickers and these were very good. Very flavorful.
DSC_0424_zpsrgfyostd.jpg

Carthay Signature Fried Biscuits - Stuffed with White Cheddar, Bacon, and Jalapeno, Served with Apricot Honey Butter. These are Figment’s favorite appetizer at Disneyland! They are so good! Crispy on the outside and melt-y on the inside.
DSC_0433_zpslsgt3gq1.jpg

Sesame Soy-glazed Skuna Bay Salmon - Forbidden Black Rice Stir-fry and Red Thai Curry. Figment enjoyed this salmon on a bed of rice and curry.
DSC_0445_zpsssnhfdgy.jpg

Thick-Cut Pork Chop - California Mushroom Chili and Onion Fondue with Dried Cherries. The pork chop was very moist. Figment was very impressed with this dish.
DSC_0454_zpshlugow00.jpg

Last edited:
That was Figment's first trip to House of Blues. He'll add the lobster mac and cheese to his list of things for his next trip! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter