musings on the FP+ for the safari

KyGirl

Mouseketeer
So we've been back from our trip for a couple of weeks and there are still a few things I'm processing, on top of the Just Back post that I did when we got back. There is one thing about FP+ that really confuses me. I think this ties into a couple of threads that were on the board a month or so ago about whether or not there are really people left out there who don't plan. If I based this off of experience of people in my close and extended social circle I would guess no. Everybody I've known to go has been up early to book ADRs and up late to book FP+ and done everything in between. However, based on what I experienced when we were actually at Disney, there are TONS of people who apparently just see a sign on the highway and decide to stop in. I don't understand where they come from but they are there in full force.

ANYWAY... the thing that really got me was this. We spent a day at Animal Kingdom and I dutifully booked our FP+ two months in advance for the safari and two other things that applied to us personally. So in the mid morning that we used our safari FP+, I think the standby line was about 50 minutes long. As we blasted past all those people I just kept thinking what are they doing? I get that at MK, there are tons of things to do so everybody's FP+ choices are going to be spread out. Even at DHS and Epcot, the tiers force you to make some hard choices about what you're going to FP and what you're going to stand in line for. You assume those people in line at Test Track have a standing reservation at Soarin. But you'd have to think that pretty much everybody that goes to AK is intending to ride the safari, right? So why not get a FP+ for it? Do that many people REALLY not get the FP+ thing? With old FP, I could see that you might walk up to the safari and choose the line over coming back later in the day but that's obviously in the past.

So maybe this is yet another question about planners/nonplanners instead of actually about FP+. But what am I missing here?

So we've been back from our trip for a couple of weeks and there are still a few things I'm processing, on top of the Just Back post that I did when we got back. There is one thing about FP+ that really confuses me. I think this ties into a couple of threads that were on the board a month or so ago about whether or not there are really people left out there who don't plan. If I based this off of experience of people in my close and extended social circle I would guess no. Everybody I've known to go has been up early to book ADRs and up late to book FP+ and done everything in between. However, based on what I experienced when we were actually at Disney, there are TONS of people who apparently just see a sign on the highway and decide to stop in. I don't understand where they come from but they are there in full force.

ANYWAY... the thing that really got me was this. We spent a day at Animal Kingdom and I dutifully booked our FP+ two months in advance for the safari and two other things that applied to us personally. So in the mid morning that we used our safari FP+, I think the standby line was about 50 minutes long. As we blasted past all those people I just kept thinking what are they doing? I get that at MK, there are tons of things to do so everybody's FP+ choices are going to be spread out. Even at DHS and Epcot, the tiers force you to make some hard choices about what you're going to FP and what you're going to stand in line for. You assume those people in line at Test Track have a standing reservation at Soarin. But you'd have to think that pretty much everybody that goes to AK is intending to ride the safari, right? So why not get a FP+ for it? Do that many people REALLY not get the FP+ thing? With old FP, I could see that you might walk up to the safari and choose the line over coming back later in the day but that's obviously in the past.

So maybe this is yet another question about planners/nonplanners instead of actually about FP+. But what am I missing here?

They either weren't aware of fp or used their three choices on other attractions.

Wow, I didn't think anybody was stupid! I just didn't get it.

Sorry to offend.

I guess I was stupid to ask!

I think there are a portion of people that are just unaware. To give an example; when we were in the parks in December, there was a foreign family there that must have seen people gaining quick access with the magic bands. It appeared that they went to a store and purchased bands and tried to get on a ride (holding up my kids and many others in the meantime). They thought that all they had to do was buy the band and they'd be all set; they had no knowledge of the way the FP system worked.

It's not limited to foreigners; I have friends and acquaintances that were floored when I told them how successful our trip was at peak time over winter break, with little waiting time for even the top tier rides. They thought that it was impossible to visit Disney without long lines and had awful experiences on their trips due to this.

OP (and fellow Kentuckian, I presume!), I don't think you were stupid or accusing anyone else of being stupid, either. You admitted there's something you might be missing and you were asking what that might be.

They're either using them on other attractions (e.g. EE, PW, DINOSAUR, FoTL, etc.), saving them for another park and/or folks who just don't understand how FP+ works (or even that it's available). As much as WDW does to put out the word, you'll still find people who just don't get it, think you have to pay to use it, etc.

We aren't FP+ Safari. We like to ride it 1st thing. So we just go straight there and the wait might be 20 min. I like safari when it's not blazing hot in June

There are also people who like to do the safari multiple times throughout the day. Different animals are active at different times.

In the past, I would ride the safari multiple times. This trip, it was once because of the lines, but I might have opted to wait in line to ride again. We start at Everest for multiple rides, so we don't head straight to the safari.

I was amazed by the number of people who really didn't "get" FP+. Even if they had made their reservations. There were lines to get in many rides with people at the front clearly totally confused by the whole thing. The worst was on a visit to MK - BTM had a huge line to get into the FP+ line.

"unaware" is a good word for it. Thankfully there are lots of unaware people at WDW, otherwise all the FP+ for headliners would be gobbled up 59 days in advance.

Overheard on our last trip as we walked through FP queue on Splash Mountain, conversation between people waiting in 50 minute standby line:
"Where are all those people going?"
"That's the line for the railroad"
"No, that's express pass, you have to pay extra for that, it's expensive"

I think it's a combination of things--you are right, there is still a chunk of visitors that aren't familiar with FP+. Although this seems impossible to me--it seems like anytime I turn on the TV, or open a website or a magazine, there's a Disney ad promoting FP+/My Magic +. But I think it's just because, having been deep in Disney planning research for so long, I'm more attuned to it. When we were there in November a lady in the standby line was complaining (loudly, so that those of us entering from the FP+ line could hear her) to the CM that it wasn't fair that some people could afford to pay more to skip the lines. So there are definitely still people that don't know about it/don't understand how it works. And, as another poster said, with the way FP+ is structured, you can only set up your selections at one park, so some people are forced to ride attractions standby that they might otherwise FP. We're trying park hopping this trip for the first time and I'm a little nervous about that aspect. And, there are some people that enjoy the queues. Especially now that interactive elements have been added to them. There are a couple (TSMM, Peter Pan--now that they've updated it, Winnie the Pooh, 7DMT) that aren't absolutely torturous to wait in. I wouldn't wait a very long time in any of these, but if the line wasn't absurdly long I wouldn't mind the standby line. Some people actually do enjoy that part.

I will say when I came back and posted my pictures and talked about how little I waited for anything 15 mins or less for most rides; 25 mins for Talking Mickey; about 20 for every other character I wanted to meet; many people kept/keep asking me how do I do it. My friends call me the Disney ninja. I'm like I've been on one trip but I read up on Disney for at least 5 years and hardcore for 2 years before going. It was my once in a lifetime trip and it was going to be amazing!

I thought there was a remote chance I'd go back with my youngest was older. Here we are headed back this year. I already know I'm booking BB for next!

I'm thankful for those who don't know! It made my trip smoother.

Like my BFF went in High School and loathed her trip. Next year, I'm showing her Disney my way.

I think FP in general was never fully understood and it's funny that your question was about KS. The only time I ever heard anything rude directed to us was under the old FP system when we were going thru the FP line. There was a lady who obviously didn't know how to use the system. Funny thing was if she hadn't been so ugly and bitter, I would have given her a quick lesson.

Anyway, back to the original question. We didn't get a KS FP+ for this trip because I told my daughter we could tour how we wanted this time and she picked the FP+ :duck:

I never get a FP for the Safari. Not being snarky, your question is legit and I get it. If I use my FastPass for AK at all I do Dinosaur, Kali and Everest. Usually, I save my FastPass allotment for the evening at a second park. I think there are definitely people in the park who don't understand FP+ (or - when it still existed) but I think the greater answer is that there just are many, many different ways to enjoy a day a Disney. Some people don't plan and they stand in line and talk to their family and enjoy the experience ... they don't fret about this line or that line and they don't care about seeing it all. This, of course, is so NOT me, but its none of my concern. Point is, I think here on the DIS we tend to act as though there is really only one right way to do Disney and, with all due respect, that is so not true. There are a hundred different ways to do things that contradict the DIS way and people still manage to have amazing vacations at WDW.

The posted wait times are often not accurate. Even though it said 50 minutes, it could have been significantly less. I am one who will save my FP for the later park I hop to and not use them at AK.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter