MR October 28, 2012 "Halloween Time"

Oh wow - where in Vegas? Ryan and I lived in Vegas until a couple of years ago when we were both laid off from our jobs (he works in architecture and I worked in travel, so when the housing market/economy fell we both lost our jobs). Actually - we lost our jobs within 24 hours of each other - crazy! :scared1: Anyway, we waited 30 days to find jobs but with Vegas one of the hardest hit in the country for housing it was near impossible for Ryan to find anything there (no houses = no construction = no design = architects out of work in Vegas)...so, we moved back to Cali. We used to live in Northwest Vegas, the Centennial Hills area. We LOVED it! We hated moving and we HATE being back in Cali - would love to go back some day!
We found Vegas to be a real eye opener, i'd been when I was younger then we went again a couple of years ago.
We stayed at MGM last time and this time are looking at Monte Carlo.
DH likes golf so he'll likely play a round (he played at Red Rock country club last time) and DS and I will most likely shop :laughing:
Any rec's for other things to do, places to eat (not too expensive and child friendly :thumbsup2)
Sorry to hear about your jobs, it's a long way back after something like that, we've been very lucky through the financial crisis, sold our home just before it hit, DH kept his job when a few people at his workplace lost theirs the week before Christmas :sad2:
I'm in retail (food) and transferred workplace but was lucky enough to choose my own hours and am contracted.
DH and I have a running joke, if we win lotto we're outta here! The cost of living is ridiculous compared to other places we've travelled to, which is why we choose to holiday out of Australia, it is crazy here!
So yeah, $20million and we're on a first class jet plane outta here, and we're not looking back...now for those lotto numbers :laughing:
So our itinerary goes something like San Diego, then maybe Palm Springs, onto Vegas, then cruise then Disneyland.
We were looking at San Francisco but stories i've heard lately i'm not so sure.

We found Vegas to be a real eye opener, i'd been when I was younger then we went again a couple of years ago.
We stayed at MGM last time and this time are looking at Monte Carlo.
DH likes golf so he'll likely play a round (he played at Red Rock country club last time) and DS and I will most likely shop :laughing:
Any rec's for other things to do, places to eat (not too expensive and child friendly :thumbsup2)
Sorry to hear about your jobs, it's a long way back after something like that, we've been very lucky through the financial crisis, sold our home just before it hit, DH kept his job when a few people at his workplace lost theirs the week before Christmas :sad2:
I'm in retail (food) and transferred workplace but was lucky enough to choose my own hours and am contracted.
DH and I have a running joke, if we win lotto we're outta here! The cost of living is ridiculous compared to other places we've travelled to, which is why we choose to holiday out of Australia, it is crazy here!
So yeah, $20million and we're on a first class jet plane outta here, and we're not looking back...now for those lotto numbers :laughing:
So our itinerary goes something like San Diego, then maybe Palm Springs, onto Vegas, then cruise then Disneyland.
We were looking at San Francisco but stories i've heard lately i'm not so sure.

That's right - I was thinking you were from Vegas, but now I remember. Sorry about that.

Honestly, when we lived there we were pretty well off (not any more though :laughing:) and we kind of "lived the high life" - eating at the finest restaurants, etc. Because of that, we never really went to or ate at reasonably priced places, and back then we didn't have kids either so family friendly places weren't a concern for us. That means that my recommendations probably wouldn't be what you are looking for. They would be far too expensive and maybe not kid friendly. In my opinion, to get anything descent and inexpensive you would probably want to/need to eat off the strip - maybe even sticking to chain restaurants and stuff. I could give you a few places that would be good, but you'd need a car and they aren't necessarily close to the strip. (Let me know if you want a list of restaurants and I'll post it). Same thing with activities. The only family friendly activity I can really think of is Springs Preserve. It's fun, educational, and not many people know about it - but it's far off the strip.

That's right - I was thinking you were from Vegas, but now I remember. Sorry about that.

Honestly, when we lived there we were pretty well off (not any more though :laughing:) and we kind of "lived the high life" - eating at the finest restaurants, etc. Because of that, we never really went to or ate at reasonably priced places, and back then we didn't have kids either so family friendly places weren't a concern for us. That means that my recommendations probably wouldn't be what you are looking for. They would be far too expensive and maybe not kid friendly. In my opinion, to get anything descent and inexpensive you would probably want to/need to eat off the strip - maybe even sticking to chain restaurants and stuff. I could give you a few places that would be good, but you'd need a car and they aren't necessarily close to the strip. (Let me know if you want a list of restaurants and I'll post it). Same thing with activities. The only family friendly activity I can really think of is Springs Preserve. It's fun, educational, and not many people know about it - but it's far off the strip.

We hire a car and drive everywhere, so anything off the strip isn't a problem either.
You sort of get sick of buffet's LOL even though we ate at good ones it's nice to go to a table service restaurant where people bring you food LOL
Springs Preserve, i'll look it up :thumbsup2 (just had a look, it looks like Scienceworks that we have here in Melbourne which my DS just LOVES!)
DS loved Circus Circus :laughing: loved the kids area down there, that whole place wasn't really my taste :laughing:
Before kids we had money too, now we have money but we spend it on him :laughing: but we do make sure we have good vacations :laughing:
My DS isn't your normal 6 year old, we asked him what he wanted to do for his birthday and he told us he wanted to go to his favourite restaurant, Stalactites (greek food, no McDonalds for him :rolleyes1).
We just always find things, one place we still haven't been is The Cheesecake Factory, thats on our list :thumbsup2

Can anyone help me deciding were to stay prior the cruise. I don't have any idea!!! I've never been to CA... I only know that I have to be there the day after b/c since I'm from Puerto Rico I will be arriving toooo late the same day. I'm not sure if I should stay near the airport or neart the port... I wish it was in San Pedro (near the port)... What do you think??!!??

I am not sure either, we were absolutely crazy last time and drove straight down from Sacramento to Palm Springs and dropped of Little DS, then drove to the pier. 10 hours of driving!!!:scared1: I think somewhere in the info posts about this cruise people have posted about some hotels that have park and cruise packages. This time we are staying at the Grand Californian :cool1:

Hello!! My daughter (6) and I booked this cruise in December using our DVC points! We are so excited! This will be our second Disney Cruise, our first one was in January 2010. It was a 4 day on the Wonder out of FL. :)

I think I got all caught up in all the previous posts. LOL

Jessica, congrats on the beautiful baby girl!

I saw some stuff about the FE... I think my daughter and I may be interested... But I don't know much about it yet. :) My sister and BIL and also my BIL's sis are going as well. I am going to talk to them about it as well. :)

Right now we live in Yokosuka, Japan. My husband is in the Navy. My daughter and I are heading home to CA in May or June tho, since my husband decided in July he doesn't feel like being married anymore after 8 years. Nice. But we are excited about the cruise! My daughter and I need something to look forward to right now!

Question... how does Halloween on the ship work? Does anyone know? :P

Sorry about your husband, I KNOW this cruise will be an awesome trip for you and your DD--who is close in age to my DS :) This is our first time doing a Disney Halloween (both cruise and park) so we are excited to see what is in store!

We own at Grand Californian. :) We purchased in 2010.
We joined because my sister and BIL were already members.They own at Grand Californian, Saratoga Springs and Animal Kingdom Villas :)

I dream of being a DVC member one day!! :cloud9:

We're stuck for before the cruise too, thinking we might do the DL trick or treat party on the Friday before, but not sure yet, we'll be coming from Vegas (at this stage) on the Thursday or Friday before and staying after the cruise at DL (Grand Cali hopefully, jeez i'm waiting for those deals to come out!) and flying home on the Thursday night.

It's getting closer!

I'm still deciding whether we'll do the FE, just thinking of having to take all that extra stuff with us.

Flights over here have gone up, tax increases and introduction of the carbon tax for flights starting July 1, adding around $150 to each flight (thats what the media says anyway).

Hoping we win the $20million lotto draw next week, it would make all our decisions so much easier...

We are more than likely doing the party :cool1: We almost did it last year, but it wasn't feasible in our budget after our wedding. :guilty:

We hire a car and drive everywhere, so anything off the strip isn't a problem either.
You sort of get sick of buffet's LOL even though we ate at good ones it's nice to go to a table service restaurant where people bring you food LOL
Springs Preserve, i'll look it up :thumbsup2 (just had a look, it looks like Scienceworks that we have here in Melbourne which my DS just LOVES!)
DS loved Circus Circus :laughing: loved the kids area down there, that whole place wasn't really my taste :laughing:
Before kids we had money too, now we have money but we spend it on him :laughing: but we do make sure we have good vacations :laughing:
My DS isn't your normal 6 year old, we asked him what he wanted to do for his birthday and he told us he wanted to go to his favourite restaurant, Stalactites (greek food, no McDonalds for him :rolleyes1).
We just always find things, one place we still haven't been is The Cheesecake Factory, thats on our list :thumbsup2

Cheesecake Factory is soooo good! I've been craving the cheesecake for about 2 months now! I crave, then forget. We have one in town too! Shameful for me!

Sorry I have been M.I.A. just been busy lately. I've been searching through the boards learning any new thing I can! :surfweb: I am a little nervous about the new childcare policy with the older DS, so we will see how it goes! We wanted to visit DLand in June, then heard the rumor that Cars Land might open the weekend I was planning :eek: I do NOT want to go opening week. So now I am wondering when we should go :confused: The tickets we have expire the end of this year, so we HAVE :laughing: to plan our trip. I am debating spring break, if I can brave the crowds. IDK how bad they are and if I am willing to deal with them or delaying our trip to later summer (which might have the same crowds!!) :eek: So any suggestions?

First off I want to say that I would warn against Cheesecake Factory. It's a personal preference and you might love it (lots of people do), but Ryan and I hate that place - it's gross! We've been to 3 different ones in 2 different states and every time it's been the same. The food is not flavorful, it comes to the table cold, the cheese (pizzas and sandwiches) is really rubbery, and the service is slow. I think the main problem is that their menu is far too large. They need a smaller menu that's easier to execute at higher quality. You will see what I mean if you go, but I would recommend skipping that experience altogether. With that said, the cheesecake is much better than the other food. Then again, I personally think that the Carnige Deli inside the Mirage has way better cheesecake than the Cheesecake Factory. But again, everyone has their own opinion - you may love it.

These are not the cheapest options, but these would be some food recommendations for you (trying to keep it kid friendly):

:thumbsup2 BLT Burger at the Mirage - this is a burger joint inside the Mirage with great burgers and milkshakes, but it's not cheap.

:thumbsup2 Fudruckers - this is a chain burger place that is kind of far off the strip, but they have "unique meats" to choose from. For instance, you can get an ostrich burger, buffalo burger, elk burger, etc. It's pretty good and a bit less expensive than BLT Burger, but you would have to decide if it's worth going that far off the strip for it.

:thumbsup2 Wolfgang Puck Bar & Grill at the MGM - this is one of Wolfgang Pucks restaurants and they have some really good casual food. Especially good here are the pizzas, but everything we've had has been fantastic! It's not inexpensive, but it's not the highest price we've ever paid for a pizza. They used to have AMAZING chocolate souffle's too!

:thumbsup2 Hash House a GoGo (breakfast) - this is a unique and delicious breakfast spot for Las Vegas locals, but I would recommend going to the original one OFF the strip. Recently they've put in 2 or 3 on the strip (in really cruddy hotels), but I would avoid those and go to the original. If you go (especially on a weekend) prepare to wait. They also serve dinner which is good, but breakfast is their specialty and what I would recommend you try.

:thumbsup2 Border Grill at Mandalay Bay - this good "up scale" Mexican Food.

LOL - I've been writing this for a couple of days but haven't been able to finish it (hectic with baby Lorelai). I'm posting what I have written because I need to close my windows. I will try to finish with another post to include some other strip and off-strip restaurants a little later. Sorry it's taking so long!

First off I want to say that I would warn against Cheesecake Factory. It's a personal preference and you might love it (lots of people do), but Ryan and I hate that place - it's gross! We've been to 3 different ones in 2 different states and every time it's been the same. The food is not flavorful, it comes to the table cold, the cheese (pizzas and sandwiches) is really rubbery, and the service is slow. I think the main problem is that their menu is far too large. They need a smaller menu that's easier to execute at higher quality. You will see what I mean if you go, but I would recommend skipping that experience altogether. With that said, the cheesecake is much better than the other food. Then again, I personally think that the Carnige Deli inside the Mirage has way better cheesecake than the Cheesecake Factory. But again, everyone has their own opinion - you may love it.

These are not the cheapest options, but these would be some food recommendations for you (trying to keep it kid friendly):

:thumbsup2 BLT Burger at the Mirage - this is a burger joint inside the Mirage with great burgers and milkshakes, but it's not cheap.

:thumbsup2 Fudruckers - this is a chain burger place that is kind of far off the strip, but they have "unique meats" to choose from. For instance, you can get an ostrich burger, buffalo burger, elk burger, etc. It's pretty good and a bit less expensive than BLT Burger, but you would have to decide if it's worth going that far off the strip for it.

:thumbsup2 Wolfgang Puck Bar & Grill at the MGM - this is one of Wolfgang Pucks restaurants and they have some really good casual food. Especially good here are the pizzas, but everything we've had has been fantastic! It's not inexpensive, but it's not the highest price we've ever paid for a pizza. They used to have AMAZING chocolate souffle's too!

:thumbsup2 Hash House a GoGo (breakfast) - this is a unique and delicious breakfast spot for Las Vegas locals, but I would recommend going to the original one OFF the strip. Recently they've put in 2 or 3 on the strip (in really cruddy hotels), but I would avoid those and go to the original. If you go (especially on a weekend) prepare to wait. They also serve dinner which is good, but breakfast is their specialty and what I would recommend you try.

:thumbsup2 Border Grill at Mandalay Bay - this good "up scale" Mexican Food.

LOL - I've been writing this for a couple of days but haven't been able to finish it (hectic with baby Lorelai). I'm posting what I have written because I need to close my windows. I will try to finish with another post to include some other strip and off-strip restaurants a little later. Sorry it's taking so long!

Thanks for your suggestions, I hear amazing things about Wolfgang Pucks, we do like good food and will pay good money for it!

Cheesecake factory, honestly i'd only be going there for the cheesecake, dessert is a meal to me :thumbsup2

Hope Ralph Brennan's is as good as when we were there last, we had probably our best meal there, and great service, it's the one meal that sticks in our minds from our last trip (well, along with Pink's Hot Dogs's LA not Vegas ;))

I believe BJ's Brewery is the same company as Cheesecake factory? I am not sure, but they both have some similar things, like my fav--the avocado rolls. I did get horrible service once at Cheesecake (not my usual one) and once at BJ's.

Anyhow I have an exciting announcement!!!

We ordered our FE!!!
:banana::banana::banana::banana:

Last time I just decorated a bag because I wanted a family FE....so I am soo excited..as you can tell! I will post pics when I get it.

Hubby checked on the DCL site and it changed the port from Mazatlan to Ensenada, however when I look at our specific sailing, it still lists PV and 2 Cabo days. Anyone else notice this?

I believe BJ's Brewery is the same company as Cheesecake factory? I am not sure, but they both have some similar things, like my fav--the avocado rolls. I did get horrible service once at Cheesecake (not my usual one) and once at BJ's.

Anyhow I have an exciting announcement!!!

We ordered our FE!!!
:banana::banana::banana::banana:

Last time I just decorated a bag because I wanted a family FE....so I am soo excited..as you can tell! I will post pics when I get it.

Hubby checked on the DCL site and it changed the port from Mazatlan to Ensenada, however when I look at our specific sailing, it still lists PV and 2 Cabo days. Anyone else notice this?

Congrats on the FE! :banana:
I do not know if BJ's and Cheesecake factor are owned by the same people, but I don't think so. Maybe though :confused3

We got a phone call from Disney Cruise Line a few weeks back saying that Mazatlan was cancelled and it would be 2 stops in Cabo. I haven't looked on the website or seen anything about Ensenada, but I doubt they would go there (they don't have excursions or anything contracted there, that I know of). I would say to stick with DCL says directly until they say otherwise, and what they told us was 2 Cabo stops. We also took this cruise last January and it was the same thing - 2 Cabo stops. Hope that helps. :thumbsup2

Hi guys!!! I changed my cruise. We'll be leaving from Orlando. The airfare from Puerto Rico To California is to much:sad2: Hope you all have a great cruise!!!

Hey everyone. Take note that the person who just changed their cruise was the person organizing the FE. I will go ahead and keep a running list of participants on page 1 under my first post, but I'm not going to "actively organize" anything. I will get the current list of FE participants from the string. Any newcomers or anyone I miss - please send me a PM and I will add you to the FE list. Thanks!

OK everyone - I've posted FE stuff on page 1 under my first post. I will continue to update the list of participants there. Let me know if there are any questions. :thumbsup2

Hey everyone. Take note that the person who just changed their cruise was the person organizing the FE. I will go ahead and keep a running list of participants on page 1 under my first post, but I'm not going to "actively organize" anything. I will get the current list of FE participants from the string. Any newcomers or anyone I miss - please send me a PM and I will add you to the FE list. Thanks!

Thank you for taking that over temporarily until we fully organize it all. I think I am intimidated to do it, I still consider myself a newbie. I think its still a little early (fingers crossed) to get more members and get a good sized group.

Congrats on the FE! :banana:
I do not know if BJ's and Cheesecake factor are owned by the same people, but I don't think so. Maybe though :confused3

We got a phone call from Disney Cruise Line a few weeks back saying that Mazatlan was cancelled and it would be 2 stops in Cabo. I haven't looked on the website or seen anything about Ensenada, but I doubt they would go there (they don't have excursions or anything contracted there, that I know of). I would say to stick with DCL says directly until they say otherwise, and what they told us was 2 Cabo stops. We also took this cruise last January and it was the same thing - 2 Cabo stops. Hope that helps. :thumbsup2

I doubt they are going to go to Ensenada as well. I know that on my other group from the last cruise we had a family that had their parents sail after we did and they did go to Ensenada because of weather issues. So maybe its some kind of back up port. I some excusions listed on DCL, but just not very many.

How is the baby? :lovestruc She is soo cute!

Thank you for taking that over temporarily until we fully organize it all. I think I am intimidated to do it, I still consider myself a newbie. I think its still a little early (fingers crossed) to get more members and get a good sized group.

I doubt they are going to go to Ensenada as well. I know that on my other group from the last cruise we had a family that had their parents sail after we did and they did go to Ensenada because of weather issues. So maybe its some kind of back up port. I some excusions listed on DCL, but just not very many.

How is the baby? :lovestruc She is soo cute!

Thank you so much - we think so! Lorelai is doing well. She just turned 1 month old a couple of days ago and is getting bigger! We took her to Sears portrait studio last weekend so I'm including a couple of pictures below :thumbsup2

Ensenada would be boring I think, but it doesn't really matter to us because I think we've decided not to get off the ship with Lorelai. I still think it would be a last option kind of thing. I'm pretty sure they will do Cabo twice. I guess we'll just have to wait and see! :yay:

Here are some baby pics. We sure do love her!

Sorry...didn't know how to make pics smaller as I don't have photoshop or gimp on this computer.

Lorelai.jpg

s41108cb124187_11_4.jpg

s41108cb124187_8_0.jpg

Hey everybody, where is everybody?? LOL

I watched a show on tv over here about DCL, we had to do it stealth mode though as DS doesn't know we're heading on one later in the year, DH is VERY excited!
The Wonder looks great :thumbsup2 just wondering how i'll go, i've never been on a ship...:lmao:

251 days to go!

Hi, I'm new here, but wanted to check in...we're booked on our first Disney cruise! Me, dh, dd(5), and ds(3). Will they do trick or treating on the ship?

Hey everybody, where is everybody?? LOL

I watched a show on tv over here about DCL, we had to do it stealth mode though as DS doesn't know we're heading on one later in the year, DH is VERY excited!
The Wonder looks great :thumbsup2 just wondering how i'll go, i've never been on a ship...:lmao:

251 days to go!

IM HERE!!!:thumbsup2 It has been a while since my last check in. Its been very busy over here. I started a new job, so I am very busy :surfweb: and doesn't leave much time for much else. We are also getting over a tummy bug :sick: I've only ever been on the Wonder and I loved it! I am sure you will too :goodvibes

Will be switching Dummy Soon to these dates :)

Welcome!!!:cool1:

Hi, I'm new here, but wanted to check in...we're booked on our first Disney cruise! Me, dh, dd(5), and ds(3). Will they do trick or treating on the ship?

From what I hear I think they do! :thumbsup2 We are going to be doing the Mickeys Not So Scary Halloween Party as well. :banana:

How is everyone doing????

Hi - and welcome!
Yes - there is trick or treating on the ship. They'll have stations set up and the characters will be out in their costumes too! :banana:

Hi Everyone,

I just thought I would check in to say "Hi"! My family and I are SO excited as this will be our very first Disney cruise but our third cruise as a family. I would really like to join the FE group for our cruise but since I have never done it before I am a little concerned that I will end up making 200 FE? :scared1: Any suggestions/hints/words of wisdom from veteran FE-ers would be appreciated!

Thanks and I look forward to meeting you, fellow dis-sers!

Yikes?!? I just noticed that the tags in my signature are showing and not the pictures??? I pasted the tags for my vacation ticker and siggy... Any suggestions? Can you tell that I am a TOTAL board newbie? :eek:

Hi Everyone,

I just thought I would check in to say "Hi"! My family and I are SO excited as this will be our very first Disney cruise but our third cruise as a family. I would really like to join the FE group for our cruise but since I have never done it before I am a little concerned that I will end up making 200 FE? :scared1: Any suggestions/hints/words of wisdom from veteran FE-ers would be appreciated!

Thanks and I look forward to meeting you, fellow dis-sers!

Yikes?!? I just noticed that the tags in my signature are showing and not the pictures??? I pasted the tags for my vacation ticker and siggy... Any suggestions? Can you tell that I am a TOTAL board newbie? :eek:

Hi there! Welcome! We went on our first 9/2011 and loved it! We are so anxious to go back! Our friends we met on board are cruising again this sunday and we are very jealous LOL :rotfl2:

So far our FE group is very small (currently 3 on the list), so I don't see cause for concern about 200 ;) Our last group had about 20-30ish. This group is a little slower on posts I am guessing due to all of our busy lives. I just started a new job, so I am adjusting (still LOL).

I am still a "newbie" since this is only our second, but I did a bunch of research last time and the DIS was a great resource to find lots of good info that most people don't know about the cruise. So I felt very prepared and I kinda knew what to expect-but was still blown away at the amazingly great service and experience. I felt so pampered! :love:

I am guessing your siggy doesn't show because the DIS requires "x" number of posts before you can post links. I was pretty "plain" before as well ;)

Welcome to the group and if you'd like to join the FE group here is the post and info:
http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=42340514&postcount=2

Like Kidlette (Jessica M.) posted, she isn't in charge, but is just making the list. Hopefully we get a few more to join!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter