Moving to Orlando: Need help!!

Discussion in 'The DIS Unplugged Podcast' started by baby1disney, Dec 3, 2012.

1. StitchesGr8Fan

StitchesGr8Fan DIS Veteran

I'm sorry about the potential cancer diagnosis. One concern, if you already have a documented cancer diagnosis, will you be able to get health insurance at your new job? I don't know, it may not be an issue, but it is something to consider.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. L-Harper

L-Harper DIS Veteran

I am trying to access your blog but it says it's private. I requested permission. I also tried to PM you with no luck. I would LOVE to chat with you about your choice to move to Florida. Just based on this post alone, you sound so much like our story. My husband has quit his job as a 10 year electrical engineer to chase down his dream of having his own business. He is a wood craftsman and we're moving to Florida for MANY reasons, mostly for the much warmer weather than Michigan. Him working out in his unheated garage when it's 3 degrees certainly makes it hard for him to get much done. Not to mention that we absolutely love Disney World and the ocean. I would really like to read your blog and/or talk to you about your journey. If you can, please PM me.

4. ElliePeters

ElliePeters Mouseketeer

The blog should be easily read now, all the bugs are fixed. Contact me and we can chat! :)

5. FloridaDreaming

FloridaDreaming Mouseketeer

I found your blog a while ago and have really enjoyed it. We are finally getting to live our dream and are making the move from Illinois to Winter Park, Fl at the end of this week. It's been so weird to go from saying "Someday, I want to..." to "We are actually going to..."

6. Dian-er

Dian-er Mouseketeer

A couple of thoughts for you.
    I don't know where you are moving from, but most of the time the salaries here, in Fl are lower than everywhere else. So don't be surprized by what they offer. One cevat, we don't have a state income tax, but there's sales tax on everything just about & above the state sales tax, each county has there own little % to add on.
    There are some really nice areas but you do have to watch. Avoid Metro West as already mentioned. Also, Poinciana is very nice, but traffice is an issue. There is only one main road in/out & at rush hour it is AWFUL!!!!!!!.
    Most of Winter Garden is nice, there are some areas to avoid. Avoid Pine Hills.
    The Williamsburg area near Seaworld is also nice, but, again there can be traffic issues.
    Check out Hunter's Creek too.
    Clermont, where I live is nice too, but a little farther out.
    Don't contract for anyplace unless you are here to see it & the area.
    One thing to know, this is a big state & distances are deceiving.

7. jennyf2

jennyf2 DIS Veteran

FINALLY!!!

I am transferring with my current job & everything was confirmed last week! We are SO excited!!! Now the hard part--where to live? I'll be working at the airport & have a son in middle school - my oldest will have car for his college. So much to do !!!:banana::cool1:

8. BELLE1109

BELLE1109 Mouseketeer

nice to see some others heading to the sunshine state! My DH just accepted a job in Ft. Lauderdale:)
    His company is putting us up in an apartment in Las Olas (?) until we find a permanent home. Any general moving to FL advice is much appreciated!!

9. bigdsp

bigdsp Earning My Ears

Our move to Orlando begins in 12 days and we arrive to our new home in 14 days!!

10. Metro West

Metro West <font color=red>Proud Redhead<br><font color=blue> Moderator

Good luck with the move. It will be an adventure you won't forget. :cool2:

11. FloridaDreaming

Enjoy it! We've been down here 2 weeks now. Starting to get proud of myself every time I don't need my GPS to get me somewhere.

And I'm almost positive I saw one of the Podcast crew at my Publix on Tuesday. But I didn't have the nerve to introduce myself. :rolleyes:

12. OKW Lover

OKW Lover Retired and living 2 miles from The Castle. DIS Lifetime Sponsor

The podcast crew loves it when listeners say hello. Don't be afraid, only some of them bite. :happytv:

13. OKW Lover

OKW Lover Retired and living 2 miles from The Castle. DIS Lifetime Sponsor

Well, actually we contracted to have a house built but that wouldn't all fit on the title line. :cool1:

We are going to be just a couple of miles north of the MK in a development called Summerlake. :beach:

14. mnra

mnra DIS Veteran

Hi and congratulations on your purchase.

15. FloridaDreaming

Congratulations! Very exciting! :cool1: