Moving schools at the high school transition (Crossing UK Borders)

2Tiggies

Near to Tigger's House
Had no idea how to title this thread. I was wondering if anyone here had any experience of moving from one part of the UK to another when their children were in their final year of primary/first year of secondary school and what your experiences and views are.

I am thinking in particular about the different curriculum (England/Scotland/Wales) and wondered if it is better to move them during the final primary year to give them a start with the new system before secondary school, or if it's better to make the change at the time of the primary/secondary transition.

Thanks peeps

Dont children in Scotland start secondary school a year later than in England?

I remember a friend moving from England to Scotland several years ago and her daughter had already done a yr at sec school here but she felt it was a good time to move as she would be starting sec school with everyone else up there.

My daugher will be 11 and a half (exactly) which is the same I think. That said, yes, you may well start a year earlier than our kids as DD was born on the cusp and just made it into the school year. She is a good year younger than her classmates so I am guessing that would be about right. I'm in Scotland, looking at a possible move down to England

Tricky one but I think if it were me I would move them during Primary as I think children at Primary school settle quicker and make friends quicker. In primary school they stay with the same teacher and class mates for most of the school week so more chance of bonding and making friends. At high school you move from class to class and sit next to somebody different in many subjects so it's harder to make new friends

Also once she has settled at least when she starts High school, which is hard enough, she will be starting with friends :)

:scared1: We can't afford to lose a Scottish DISer, there's not enough of us to begn with! ;)

Sorry I don't have any advice :flower3:

I dont have any advice re the school, but just wanted to wish you all the best with the move:goodvibes

:scared1: We can't afford to lose a Scottish DISer, there's not enough of us to begn with! ;)

:hug: Aw, I'll still be Scottish :) :hug: Maybe the Scots need to start breeding more! lol

I dont have any advice re the school, but just wanted to wish you all the best with the move:goodvibes

Thanks Sue

Nothing definite yet but I do have some degree of control over timing. It's just that my daughter's well being is always going to be number one to me and I would actually change plans just to ensure things are easier for her. She knows nothing about this just now as nothing will happen until the end of the year at the earliest.

At the first year of secondary, most schools have children from a range of primary schools and at a range of abilities - so the first few weeks involve various assessments and recaps to find out the needs of each student and ensure everyone's got the basics covered. That, plus everyone being in a "new" school, would make me err on the side of starting the new secondary school a the same time of everyone else.

But, I don't have kids.

At the first year of secondary, most schools have children from a range of primary schools and at a range of abilities - so the first few weeks involve various assessments and recaps to find out the needs of each student and ensure everyone's got the basics covered. That, plus everyone being in a "new" school, would make me err on the side of starting the new secondary school a the same time of everyone else.

But, I don't have kids.

Actually your input is very important because you have a different perspective. You have raised a good point :goodvibes

We did it the other way round moving from England to Scotland when my DD was 11 and a half and about to go on to high school. Her birthday is such that she could have chosen to join the last year of Scottish primary as the eldest in her year or go to the secondary as the youngest. She really didn't want to stay at primary so she went to the local academy.

As far as the curriculum and such is concerned it was no issue at all and there will inevitably be a difference just going from primary to secondary anyway so I don't think it would make much difference going straight to secondary from an academic point of view.

The biggest issue for us was friendships as my DD knew no-one at all at her new school and found it really difficult to settle there and it would have been much better for her emotionally to have had a year at primary just to have a few friends for some support in that transition.

Not sure how it might affect you but you might want to check with the LA when their cut-off dates for the academic year is. Where we lived (Essex) it was end of August but here in Scotland it is end of February:confused3

I hope that helps a little and you have a completely smooth, trouble free, happy move if you do decide to go with it.

Good luck!

p.s. just to add that her older brother moved into S3 and even though he was changing from the GCSE curriculum to Standard Grades, the move was fairly straightforward and he adjusted very quickly.

Hello from a fellow Scot who has recently moved to England :wave2:

I trained as a teacher in Scotland and have been working in an English school since February. The education system is very different but I would say that your daughter would settle in to either primary or secondary setting easily.

I do agree with the previous poster that going to primary first would be advisable as it would give her a chance to form friendships and get used to the new area. It sounds funny but moving down South has been a culture shock! The school I am working in is sooooo different from any school that I have ever been in before, even down to assemblies and the way the school day is organised (assembly every Monday, Wednesday and Friday afternoon?! :confused3) That said, I am loving it and my colleagues love having a bit of Scottish banter with me. So I would think it would be nice for your daughter to have a bit of time to settle in before going off to high school - rather than having two huge transitions at once!

Good luck with the move :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter