Movie Vault--Please Unlock!!!

Don't even get me started on Song of the South!!!!...sigh

You should pretty much be able to turn up a copy of SOTS by Googling the title. It'd be better to have an authorized release, but it looks like that's not happening.

if you live in CA, IL, TX, OH or FL there are 6 select Cinemark theaters who do a program called Disney Screen in which they bring classics to the Big Screen.
It's $5 for the day $10 for the week, $20 for the month or $40 for a 4 month pass

It's a different block of movies each week changing out every friday

for example the roster that ends tomorrow was Classic Liturature Week and featured Alice in Wonderland (Animated), Great Mouse Detective, Three Musketeers (Live Action), Treasure Island

Next Week is Mad Science Week featuring Absent Minded Professor, Tron, Honey I shrunk the Kids, Flubber

there is a wide mix of animated and live action films that have been featured thus far and each film also features a classic short before it

I know it's not the same thing as owning your own copy but still it gives you a chance to view classics

I don't mean to hijack here or anything, but I finally watched Song of the South last night. (Found a mostly tolerable quality one on youtube) I found it to be nothing short of delightful. The character of Uncle Remus was very heartwarming and the animation was wonderful! I do not understand why this is so "offensive" to people and why it won't get released... but then again I never understood why King Louie in the original Jungle Book was offensive either... I guess I'm just super naïve? :confused3 I would love for this to be released and it made me love Splash that much more!

I don't mean to hijack here or anything, but I finally watched Song of the South last night. (Found a mostly tolerable quality one on youtube) I found it to be nothing short of delightful. The character of Uncle Remus was very heartwarming and the animation was wonderful! I do not understand why this is so "offensive" to people and why it won't get released... but then again I never understood why King Louie in the original Jungle Book was offensive either... I guess I'm just super naïve? :confused3 I would love for this to be released and it made me love Splash that much more!

One offensive thing about the movie was that the boy's mother seems to have a fit at the thought of her son being best friends with a black man. Which isn't necessarily racist in itself, since the mother is a basically unsympathetic character.

But the most offensive part that I recall was that whenever Uncle Remus was speaking with a white adult, the actors and camera were positioned so that the whites were literally looking down on the black man. It's hard to say if it was done as a racist gesture, to reassure the (supposedly) bigoted southern audiences "we know how things should be" or if it was anti-racist, intended to show the difficulties of being black in the south and evoking sympathy for Uncle Remus.

One offensive thing about the movie was that the boy's mother seems to have a fit at the thought of her son being best friends with a black man. Which isn't necessarily racist in itself, since the mother is a basically unsympathetic character.

But the most offensive part that I recall was that whenever Uncle Remus was speaking with a white adult, the actors and camera were positioned so that the whites were literally looking down on the black man. It's hard to say if it was done as a racist gesture, to reassure the (supposedly) bigoted southern audiences "we know how things should be" or if it was anti-racist, intended to show the difficulties of being black in the south and evoking sympathy for Uncle Remus.

Wow I definitely didn't pick up on that, lol, just thought the mom was kind of a brat. I'm almost sad I watched it now, because now I really want it to be released. I even read something from the actor who place Uncle Remus who loved the role, he said something about how he wouldn't even have considered the part if he found it in anyway racist or offensive.

Right now I would be just happy if they would release The Lion King :( I missed the last release from DMC and I am having the hardest time finding it anywhere else

Regarding Song of the South, I find it hilarious they won't release it, but have no problems showing the tar baby cartoon segment.

I would love Disney to release the Song of the South. A great Disney classic but Disney will never release it which is sad. At least they themed Splash Mountain on the movie but kids have no idea what the theme and music is all about.

I have always found the idea of Song of the South being a racist movie plain wrong.

To me it is a celebration of Black American during a sad part of our History.

I love that it portraies a loving Blackman telling children wonderful stories. It is a celebration of Black story telling.and culture.

AKK

Just did a quick check on ebay and there are several listed for sale, VHS and DVD. Some DVDs are $25 including the shipping.

Just did a quick check on ebay and there are several listed for sale, VHS and DVD. Some DVDs are $25 including the shipping.
Yeah I'm not sure where you see that, but all I see is VHS, PAL version, i.e. won't play in the US. I don't see any DVD at all.

Yeah I'm not sure where you see that, but all I see is VHS, PAL version, i.e. won't play in the US. I don't see any DVD at all.
There were several listed when I made the post; I even ordered one which should be arriving soon. Maybe DIS readers bought them all up?

Regarding Song of the South, I find it hilarious they won't release it, but have no problems showing the tar baby cartoon segment.
They may show the short, but the books have all been changed to the "Glue Baby". I find it highly amusing. I am pretty sure that it takes place during The Reconstruction era. I have never seen Song of the South, but have never been offended by it.

I got Song of the South online. Might have been eBay and it isn't a foreign release. Pirated? I don't know.

Maybe some of the older stuff will be available through Netflix now that a deal with Disney has been struck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter