Movie Vault--Please Unlock!!!

i want The Lion King soooo bad for my little one! and Beauty and the Beast! Is there some list that has all the ones in the vault? maybe im just not looking good enough...but the only lion king i'm finding is like $60-$80 and im not spending that! hahaha do they have a list of "unlocking dates" hahaha or is it just when they decide to let them out?

Disney Move Club does have a LOT of movies you can't find anywhere else. I've ordered things like The Great Mouse Detective that I've NEVER seen anywhere else.

A lot of these like Great Mouse Detective are actually at Target and Best Buy, I see them there all the time. Just in case you ever want to check and see if they are in stock.

Super pumped Aladdin is finally coming out of the vault for Blu Ray / DVD and for the digital version as well. The digital versions have been awesome for us, especially with Disney Movies Anywhere. Just need Pinocchio, Snow White and Bambi to come out next.

I want Beauty and the Beast too! I wonder how much longer it will be? (would like to buy in store, not ebay)

This was released in 2010 and again in 2011 for 3D / Digital updates. If I had to guess I'd say it's released out of the vault closer to the live action movie premiere.

The whole "vault" thing is seriously outmoded. In a world with Amazon/Ebay/torrenting, Disney is losing money by not making everything available. If a particular piece doesn't warrant a physical release, they should be selling it via download.

So true.

I want Beauty and the Beast too! I wonder how much longer it will be? (would like to buy in store, not ebay)

Again - it PAINS me to say this.... you could have B&B in a week, off EBAY. There is only ONE value in making folks aware of this: Disney is throwing money into the Toilet with their current "limited release" model. It doesn't work. It PROMOTES off shore piracy, and grey market DVDs. It's not a practical business model.

Most of you likely know the history of the "vault" principle. In the days before home video, Disney re-released their feature animated movies to theaters at 7 year intervals. The movie having been off the big screens for that period of time, a new crop of youngsters would have come along and parents or older siblings could treat them to the same cool movies they grew up with. When VHS & Beta vcrs came along Disney began releasing their archives along the same lines as the films had been in theaters. The thing Disney didn't see coming were the re-sale market and reproducing opportunities. The world of movies is now like New York City or Las Vegas: You can get anything you want 24/7 whether it's legal or not. ;) The odd thing is that this continuous availability has been going for years now, but Disney seems to want to stick with the old plan. If someone wants Beauty & The Beast, they can buy a used copy from Amazon, or maybe even a local re-seller.
I'm not one to download movies from illegal sources, but my hunch is there are plenty of opportunities to do so. You could probably find one at a garage sale...but why wouldn't Disney just make the movie available so THEY could reap the profits? As I mentioned in my earlier post, if it's a matter of the expense to manufacture and distribute, why don't they sell a download? Physical media is going to go the way of the dodo bird, but when there is demand for your product, why make customers wait?

Would be nice to have a restored version with better audio. The music in TSOTS is wonderful. But the version from the Japanese laserdisc which seems ubiquitous will have to do for now.

Would be nice to have a restored version with better audio. The music in TSOTS is wonderful. But the version from the Japanese laserdisc which seems ubiquitous will have to do for now.

The best current copies are ones made from the extremely rare 1991 Hong Kong Laserdisc release, shown below (there are claims - still not 100% confirmed -- that this was only made available to video rental outlets). Unlike the Japanese version, the English version on the Hong Kong disc has no foreign language subtitles during the musical sequences and the audio is of surprisingly high quality. There are sources on eBay that sell DVD copies made from this disc.

laserhk.jpg

While we're unlocking vaults, let's go ahead and let out Song of the South.

Song of the South was indeed released to other countries and copies are readily available. I picked one up in a shop while antiquing and just showed it to the family on our beach vacation. We also watched Thomasina!

PLEASE release "The Girl Who Spelled Freedom". It was about a girl who immigrated to America with her family from Cambodia. I loved it as a child. I would love to introduce my boys to it. Such an amazing movie!

Why does Disney release some to the UK market and not in the US as well? I ordered both beauty and the beast and Aladdin blu-ray off amazon UK for only 20 bucks each.

I have a bootleg Song of the South that's pretty decent quality. I love Song of the South especially the score and James Baskett's and Hattie McDaniel's performances.

I have a bootleg Song of the South that's pretty decent quality. I love Song of the South especially the score and James Baskett's and Hattie McDaniel's performances.

Yes, the music is terrific! Zip-A-Dee-Do-Dah is a contender for "the" quintessential Disney song. Baskett & McDaniel's song "Sooner Or Later" is a Disney deep cut for me. :earsboy:

Song of the South was indeed released to other countries and copies are readily available. I picked one up in a shop while antiquing and just showed it to the family on our beach vacation. We also watched Thomasina!
Wow, I'd love to have both of these. I loved Thomasina when I was a little girl.

Wow, I'd love to have both of these. I loved Thomasina when I was a little girl.

Me too! I ordered Thomasina from amazon last month. The song of the south, I see it here and there. Most likely you can get one on eBay. The one I have does not have subtitles and it's great quality.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter