Movable counter for canning in the garage

pampam

DIS Veteran
I'm planning on buying a pressure canner, and trying to think everything through. I'd like to use it in the garage to avoid heating up the house, so I need to buy a propane camp stove of some sort. It needs to be set on a solid counter, so I'm thinking of setting up a counter in the garage. Space is an issue of course, so now I'm thinking perhaps I could fasten an old mahogany door to the wall with hinges for stability, and use saw horses as legs for solid support. That way, when I'm finished, the saw horses go back, and the door drops down to the wall for use later. I already use the garage when I use the deep fryer on a folding card table, so as not to have the kitchen smell like a greasy spoon diner. But card tables will not work on something as heavy as a pressure canner. I of course would cover the door with a plastic table cloth. So, do you think this would work? Would an old interior door (it would be hollow) be sturdy enough for what I'm planning?

After some research, I've decided to scrap the idea of using a door, but I am now thinking of buying a counter or at least a piece of 3/4 " plywood. A hollow core door just wouldn't support the weight of a heavy canner filled with water and jars.

I bought the All American Pressure canner and haven't looked back. I wish I had bought it 20 years ago. Anyway, I've done all my canning on my electric kitchen range but this summer DH bought me a 2 burner propane camp stove which I love. We have a trailer set up in a campground and I set it up on the picnic table. Of course I have to lug all my jars and supplies out there, but I'm out there anyway, enjoying the summer. DH loves this camp stove for his morning bacon and eggs. When we close up for the summer, we will bring the stove home to use in case the power goes out, but if I'm canning anything, I can still set it up in the garage. But I haven't given it any further thought as to how I'll do canning in the garage. Yes, I'd love to setup a canning kitchen in the garage, but I don't think it's a go at this time. And for those who would like to point out the time frame on this, yes, I know this post is almost 3 years old, I'm just answering the Professor's question.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!