Mousekeeping Issues

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by Momto2PrncChrmgs, Jan 13, 2013.

1. brucerob62

brucerob62 Mouseketeer

brown urine? hmm.sure it was urine? a smeared baby ruth?

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. alecshawn

alecshawn WDW Fanatic

Folks that have never been around the world...have NO idea how nice we have it here. So when folks complain on here....its like...come on...get over it.

However, Germany and Britain are also..like the U.S. and Cananda...VERY clean. Alot of northern european countries are fabulous.

4. thefigueroas

thefigueroas Mouseketeer

I have heard that. We have only been here since August so we haven't traveled up to the northern countries yet. We hope to hit Germany this November and the UK sometime next year. People tell us to get out of Southern Italy to really enjoy ourselves but that is not possible economically to do a lot if we want to take bigger trips to other countries. It is kind of sad seeing the devastation here. It is depressing to see a Roman ruin with trash piled high next to it and the stench will knock you off your feet.

5. dixiegirl

dixiegirl sorry but those dolls really creep me out!!

Yeah the first thing I do after I check the beds for any signs of bed bugs is pull the bedspread off the bed and put it on the other bed. I usually leave a very polite note requesting them leave it off the bed for the length of our stay and have never had a problem.

Having been in the hospitality business I can tell you the bedspreads are not washed every time the room changes guests.

6. Herfnerd

Herfnerd DIS Veteran

This be true - urine drawn directly from the bladder is sterile, but once it reaches the lower urethra, it comes in contact with bacteria that is normally present there as well as that found on the external.....genitalia.

While the type/amount of bacteria is generally not a serious health issue, do you seriously want to sleep in some stranger's urine???

7. BusyMom2Three

BusyMom2Three Mouseketeer

I wonder if it is. We stayed at Pop Century our first 2 trips to WDW and were happy with how clean the room was (and I am a bit of a neat freak due to my kids' allergies and asthma--I wipe everything down and so forth myself). We then stayed at POR our next 2 visits and had dirty rooms both times and problems throughout our stay as well. Our room literally had a line of caked dust around the whole periphery and rolls of dust on the shelves, mold in the shower and on the curtain, glitter, crayons, and cherrios all over when we checked in...I could go on. What makes it worse, we have to get a special cleaning based on some allergy and other health issues. I never could get anywhere on my own. My wonderful TA had to interject on our behalf and speak to the mgr, and we never got any kind of room credit, although once we got a small gift basket (although it contained allergens my kids couldn't eat). I try not to make waves and really dislike having to be confrontational, but it was pretty bad. The resort has beautiful landscape (one of the big apeals to me), but we won't be giving it a 3rd try. Best of luck. I hope you are able to get the situation resolved and enjoy your stay. :)

8. maxiesmom

maxiesmom The Mean Squinty Eye Works

There has been more than one post from people recommending asking for the special cleaning, as a way of getting a really clean room. Not because they had anyone with health issues. This is one of those things that I wish Disney did but was not made public knowledge. I wouldn't be surprised if the requests for special cleanings are now way out of hand, and not made out of a true medical need.

Not that that is what I think you did at all. I think maybe you are a victim of houskeeping getting sick of having to do special cleanings. It is pretty bad that they knew you had allergy issues, and then sent you a basket that was full of those allergens.

9. SplashMtnCrew

SplashMtnCrew DIS Veteran

OP thanks for sharing about the condition of your room, I totally understand. The worst room we've had at WDW was at the Poly! I honestly wrote my name in the dust on the table 5 minutes after we arrived, and it was still there when we left. Wouldn't suprise me if it was still there now :rotfl2: This thread has already given me some great tips for our trip next month. I always wipe down things with Clorox wipes (DH thinks I'm dopey ;)) and now I'll be bringing Lysol spray, some Dawn, and some dishcloths from home. I always wash our mugs in the room with HOT water and soap because the mug wash stations don't have soap or hot water, at least I've never had any.

OP I hope your room conditions improve and that you and you're family have a magical time! :thumbsup2

10. nkereina

nkereina Last chance to lose your keys.

Hotels comforters are laundered, on average, every 3 months. I know this because I used to work in the hotel industry for a while. One of the hotels I worked at had comforters and then underwent refurbishment and had duvets after. Many hotels are going to duvets because they are cleaner and easier to launder.

I do blame POR partly for this. Housekeeping issues aren't like bus issues where they can occur at any resort since drivers' routes are moved around. To my knowledge, housekeepers at one property generally only work at that resort. The 8 days we were at POR, we had the same housekeeper every day and she was sub-par. When we first walked in the room after checking in, there were crumbs on the rug by the AC (stayed there all week. vaccuum? nah!), rings from drinking glasses on the dresser, finger prints on the mirror from someone else. No major issues, but clearly the room wasn't cleaned well.

11. The Wise One

The Wise One Mouseketeer

Ever 3 months? That's much more often than the company I worked for did. Like I said, I always bring comforters and blankets from home because of this.

12. nkereina

nkereina Last chance to lose your keys.

It's done quarterly at a lot of places, but not every place does this. The bigger the hotel, the less frequently they are laundered more than likely.

13. Ro Z

Ro Z DIS Veteran

At the villas there is a note stating that the glasses are washed but are not sterilized. Or something to that effect. They supply dishwashing detergent and I use it before using any dishes! I always have a small dishwashing liquid with me and wash glasses myself. JIC!