Motivation

Discussion in 'disABILITIES Community Board' started by playwright, Feb 21, 2007.

1. playwright

playwright Mouseketeer

How do you motivate an unmotivated child? He's 15. I'm at the literal end of my rope. I will have to attend the CSE in a few weeks, and it's a constant fight for every little service. How can I fight when all he wants to do is play video games and watch tv?

2. Forevryoung

Forevryoung DIS Veteran

I think we need a few more details-

WHY is he unmotivated? therapy goals too hard and he's not having any success? School work too tough and tiring? Few friends? General diagnosis (an answer for a child with autism or aspergers will be different than if it's learning disability or physical disability...)?

3. playwright

playwright Mouseketeer

School work is definitely too tough for him. But it's either keep up in the mainstream with resource room or go back to self-contained. He is diagnosed as LD. His first grade teacher thought he was autistic, but the school psychologist said he wasn't. I am requesting an neuropsychological exam. He only has a small group of friends, but they are nice kids. One has ADHD but the others are NT. In self-contained he didn't get to meet anyone outside of the class.