Motion sickness on Forbidden Journey?

Daisychick

Earning My Ears
Hi All,

We will be going to Universal in a couple of weeks time. My DBf is wondering whether he will be ok on the Forbidden Journey ride. He does sometimes suffer with motion sickness but some things don't affect him.

For example - he is perfectly fine on Soarin but Star Tours made him feel very ill about 10 seconds in and he felt ill all day after that.

Does anyone have any tips / advice?

Thanks.

FJ is well known to induce motion sickness. imo far worse that star tours. Transformers pushes my button too, but have no issue with Spiderman or MIB.

has he tried the non-drowsy Dramamine?

A 'trick' that works for many when starting to feel initially icky is to avert gaze from screen and stare at a stationary spot inside the vehicle.

Thanks for that - I think if he is in doubt he will just not do the ride rather than end up feeling ill all day.

He also did MIB last time we went and he was fine with that also.

Someone also told me that Minion Mayhem is definitely one to avoid if you get motion sickness.

I am prone to motion sickness and FJ definitely made me slightly nauseous. As a rule of thumb, I would take a Bonine (non-drowsy) every morning before heading out to the parks and would not ride FJ until I had some food in my stomach, specifically carbs! I also carried a small bottle of anti-nausea medicine (Emetrol) just in case (you take it after the fact), but I found I didn't need it, but better to have it on hand than to ruin a good part of your day feeling queasy. It works really well and quickly.

I too, had some trouble with Transformers, but was fine on MIB, Gringotts, Spideman and the Mummy. Didn't even attempt Minion Mayhem!

Yeah, Forbidden Journey got me a little. More so than Star Tours and much more than Soarin. Worst for me was The Simpsons ride.

Anybody who is subject to motion sickness might be better off avoiding FJ than taking meds or going through the ride with their eyes closed 90% of the time (I've done both), IMHO. You could both take the castle tour, and enjoy some of the wonderful things to be seen while you walk around, and then you could join the single rider line while your DBF waits for you outside, in the beautifully themed area that is Hogsmeade. Just FYI, I was able to ride Gringotts multiple times without getting nauseous whatsoever. As for the Minion ride, I chose the stationary seats at the front and got motion sickness anyway because of the extreme proximity to the screen! :crazy2:

Thanks for all the advice.

I think it will be no Forbidden Journey for DBf - don't want him to feel ill.

He can hold the bags!

Forbidden Journey didn't impact me, but I did get queasy on Star Tours. I think because Forbidden Journey stops at some parts, it allowed me to have a second. On Star Tours, the jerky motion is pretty constant.

If your BF decides not to ride, definitely do the castle tour with him so he can see the inside.

I don't have issues with motion sickness as in nausea, but I have issues with dizziness. I always have to hold onto the wall for a second after getting off that ride. Getting off is complicated for me because of how the ground is moving while my balance is already off. I just deal with it because I love the ride, and it's not so bad that it ruins my day or anything.

Anybody who is subject to motion sickness might be better off avoiding FJ than taking meds or going through the ride with their eyes closed 90% of the time (I've done both), IMHO. You could both take the castle tour, and enjoy some of the wonderful things to be seen while you walk around, and then you could join the single rider line while your DBF waits for you outside, in the beautifully themed area that is Hogsmeade. Just FYI, I was able to ride Gringotts multiple times without getting nauseous whatsoever. As for the Minion ride, I chose the stationary seats at the front and got motion sickness anyway because of the extreme proximity to the screen! :crazy2:

For a difference of opinions, I've always enjoyed thrill rides but as I've gotten older I occasionally has motion sickness issues. I normally put 1 regular Dramamine (it works better than the less drowsy for me) in with my morning pills. Between that and not "power riding" the thrill rides, I can ride most everything. On Forbidden Journey, I play it safe and close my eyes during the three flying scenes. So figure 30% or so of the ride. The first time I ride it I didn't and got nauseous in the first flying scene and did the eyes closed for the majority of the ride. This last trip, I rode it 4 times and had little to no trouble with the physical portions. For the most part, I know where the flying begins and where it ends and can close my eyes at the appropriate times. For me, it's worth trying things to be able to continue to do things I love.

Has anyone tried ginger capsules? DH always took less-drowsy meclazine while kids and I took ginger. We used capsules so the kids didn't taste the ginger. Then DH saw it on mythbusters - I have no credibility as the wife, but Adam and Jamie... :rolleyes: DH discovered that ginger really does help, but isn't for him. He is back to meclazine because ginger upsets his stomach ride or not. The kids and I are still happy with ginger capsules as effective as meclazine without side-effects for us. Kids don't seem to need it but it doesn't bother them. I know I would be nauseous all day without it. The following have made me nauseous before: Tower of Terror, Rock-n-Roller Coaster, Star Tours, Mission Space green and orange, and (years ago) Back to the Future. I can now, and for past 10 years, do ToT, RnR and MS orange with ginger. I haven't tried the others. YMMV obviously because ginger works for me but DH prefers meclazine. Just thought I'd add an option for those interested.

Hi All,

We will be going to Universal in a couple of weeks time. My DBf is wondering whether he will be ok on the Forbidden Journey ride. He does sometimes suffer with motion sickness but some things don't affect him.

For example - he is perfectly fine on Soarin but Star Tours made him feel very ill about 10 seconds in and he felt ill all day after that.

Does anyone have any tips / advice?

Thanks.

FJ gets me, especially the Quidditch part! I wind up having to close my eyes during a lot of the parts with the screens. Gringotts doesn't bother me at all, and for some reason Transformers is better for me in the back row. Maybe you could save Forbidden Journey till the end of the day? The ride is really well done. As someone else suggested, the queueing area is amazing so he might want to wait in line for you even if he doesn't ride. Someone mentioned ginger ... candied ginger really helps my nausea for seasickness. Never tried it on rides but I might have to stick some in my pocket next time!

Has anyone tried ginger capsules? DH always took less-drowsy meclazine while kids and I took ginger. We used capsules so the kids didn't taste the ginger. Then DH saw it on mythbusters - I have no credibility as the wife, but Adam and Jamie... :rolleyes: DH discovered that ginger really does help, but isn't for him. He is back to meclazine because ginger upsets his stomach ride or not. The kids and I are still happy with ginger capsules as effective as meclazine without side-effects for us. Kids don't seem to need it but it doesn't bother them. I know I would be nauseous all day without it. The following have made me nauseous before: Tower of Terror, Rock-n-Roller Coaster, Star Tours, Mission Space green and orange, and (years ago) Back to the Future. I can now, and for past 10 years, do ToT, RnR and MS orange with ginger. I haven't tried the others. YMMV obviously because ginger works for me but DH prefers meclazine. Just thought I'd add an option for those interested.

I use ginger for the occasional mild nausea, and took ginger root capsules regularly with my vitamins while at WDW & Universal. I prefer it since it's a natural remedy, and I tend to feel drowsy with some other nausea medications. I will say though, that it may not be a great substitute for full on motion sickness. I don't find it as strong as the others.

I love ginger and use it for a whole lot of things......but for motion sickness it was useless.

Of course everyone react differently to everything so anything is worth a try and see what suits you best......what works for me may not suit you.

I do have occasional vertigo and do have medication for it that's kinda similar to some motion sickness medication, but if I don't need my own I found Bonine (thanks damo) works best for me.

I found that I was okay on FB the first time each time I went on it, but both times I did it back to back (child swap) I ended up with motion sickness the 1/2 way through the second round. I would recommend trying it once, but not doing it 2x in a row if you are prone to motion sickness. Amazing ride!!!

I am a ride weenie and was worried line that it would be terrifying for some reason, but it ended up being my favourite ride at Universal.

Last edited:
I don't get motion sickness - generally - but Simpsons definitely turns me green, and I get a very mild negative affect from FJ. Not enough to keep me from enjoying the ride, but enough that I wouldn't ride it back to back. I need a little bit of times to get my legs back under me.

I don't get motion sickness - generally - but Simpsons definitely turns me green, and I get a very mild negative affect from FJ. Not enough to keep me from enjoying the ride, but enough that I wouldn't ride it back to back. I need a little bit of times to get my legs back under me.

I'm exactly the same. Can do FJ a few times a day......but never one straight after the other.

But Simpsons.......:guilty: I will never ride that again........I can do coasters and Spiderman etc and never have any ill effect......but wow was I ill coming off that one. My DH and DS wandered out ahead and didn't know I was bad.......the poor TM's that took care of me till they realised and came back for me were brilliant though..........even though I was greener than grass.........lol......yep, never again for Simpsons.

I take a travel sickness tablet each morning and that helps, Simpsons I agree with others that once was enough for me I spent most of the ride with my eyes closed willing it to be overas I was feeling so sick!! FJ I didn't ride when it first opened as I was worried about feeling ill but tried it on our next trip and I only had to close my eyes at one point and got off feeling fine, I close my eyes at certain points on Spider-Man and Transformers but Despicable me I was fine on. Make sure you don't do it too early in the day and ensure you have eaten something carby.

Universal is full of the 3D motion rides. Simpsons was the worst like the above poster stated. FJ was bad too. I thought escape from gringotts was pretty bad too when it comes to possible motion sickness. It seems to be the wave of the future as far as universal is concerned.

We just got back and I have to agree, there are lots of 3d motion rides and they seem to get to me, I can ride roller coasters all day though. FJ was one of the worst for me and Simpsons was the worst. Loved Spiderman but transformers got me a little as did the minions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter