Most of the DVC units look, well, just outdated

Actually at one time there was a better system for maintenance issues. There was a staff member that would check the rooms before they were cleaned.

But during the Lewis era, that position was eliminated. Now the housekeepers are suppose to let maintenance know about issues. However that staff has been cut back too. So it hardly ever gets done. Remember Jim Lewis asking all of us to be the ones to report issues.

There are two lines of thought as to why this happened, one is cutting the budget which I am sure is part of it, and the other was that members complain so much about wanting the rooms before 4pm which I believe too.

If you are going to really inspect rooms for damages and problems housekeeping and maintenance need to have mandatory no check in before 4pm. Which is pretty standard in other timeshares.

I can just imagine based on the threads I see on this forum complaining about not getting a room at 1pm what the hue and cry would be if all rooms were held to 4pm.

Actually right after his post I posted having the same issues at OKW, so I coroborated his story. OKW is my absolute favorite resort but I was disapointed that after waiting for the refurb. for so long that the bathrooms remained untouched other than the restaining of a mirror.

The bathroom floors should have been stripped, the grout chemically treated and resealed, giving it a much cleaner appearance. This is not an issue for any of the other resorts that came after OKW and HHI because they have regular tiles, not Mexican tile with 1 inch grout lines. I loved the refurb. at OKW, I just think they missed the mark on the bathrooms.

What's the average time between full refurbs., 9-10 years, maybe they'll get to the bathrooms then!

To tie this discussion back to the "outdated" issue, I love OKW, actually preferred the theming prior to the refurb. but if you want to call anything outdated, then OKW's bathrooms are outdated, compaired to all of the other resorts!
Yes, I agree. In fact, after the renovation, the first unit we stayed in had such bad tile in the bathroom, that some of the white tiles that transition around the bottom where the wall meets the floor had been PAINTED! Yes, they were chipped, so to make them "look better" they painted the chipped parts white. NOT a good fix in my book.

I too think the refurb at OKW was a step backward instead of forward. Window dressing at best and NOT a good match for the theme.

Does anyone know when the last refurb was done at HHI and what was done? Do they have new mattresses, flat panel tv's and flat non coil cooktops? Just curious. We are going in may and so excited! How are the bathrooms there in terms of condition? I have not seen any complaints. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter